What are the best lower body muscle exercises?

Options
I've just been bicycling lately but that doesn't seem to get me very far, so some advice would be appreciated

Replies

• maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, bridges and deadlifts are my go to's, different varieties of all of them. Can be done both body weight or with added weight and the first two can be turned plyometric to get some added cardio in if that's your thing.
  • Sofiahuerta
    Sofiahuerta Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, bridges and deadlifts are my go to's, different varieties of all of them. Can be done both body weight or with added weight and the first two can be turned plyometric to get some added cardio in if that's your thing.

Right so I could mix running/biking with squats if I wanted to? Not sure what pylometric really means though
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I love squats and deadlifts. I *HATE* lunges
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can definitely mix running/biking with squats. Plyometric means exercises that involve explosive movements like jumping, for example jump squats or box jumps. The trick will be finding a workout rotation that allows you to complete your runs, rides, and lifting sessions.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options

Right so I could mix running/biking with squats if I wanted to? Not sure what pylometric really means though

I do! Twice a week I run in the morning and lift in the evening, including squats, deadlifts, Bulgarian single-leg squats, and Romanian single-leg deadlifts. Whichever form of exercise (running or lifting) is your priority, you should do first.

Plyometrics/"plyo" is explosive movements, like box-jumping (literally jumping onto a box, or some other elevated surface).

To the list of lower-body exercises, I would add barbell hip thrusts and heel-elevated hip thrusts.
  • Sofiahuerta
    Options

I do! Twice a week I run in the morning and lift in the evening, including squats, deadlifts, Bulgarian single-leg squats, and Romanian single-leg deadlifts. Whichever form of exercise (running or lifting) is your priority, you should do first.

Plyometrics/"plyo" is explosive movements, like box-jumping (literally jumping onto a box, or some other elevated surface).

To the list of lower-body exercises, I would add barbell hip thrusts and heel-elevated hip thrusts.

Alright that's a lot of terms I'll have to google lol. Can't wait to get some definition in my legs though
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    The fast nature of plyometric exercises raises the risk of injury if your form isn't good, or if you do too much.. so plyos aren't ideal for beginners.. especially someone who only bikes. I'd start with strength training, and add plyos later, once you've built a base of strength. It's best to follow a full-body program (NROL, Stronglifts, Nerd Fitness, etc). Remember that you can't choose where you lose fat.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts.
  • Sofiahuerta
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    The fast nature of plyometric exercises raises the risk of injury if your form isn't good, or if you do too much.. so plyos aren't ideal for beginners.. especially someone who only bikes. I'd start with strength training, and add plyos later, once you've built a base of strength. It's best to follow a full-body program (NROL, Stronglifts, Nerd Fitness, etc). Remember that you can't choose where you lose fat.

I'll search those up, thanks for the advice