how does on get your Gluten tested

Options
how does one get your gluten tested, i know if might be a stupid question but i dont know how to do it

Replies

• Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    It is my understanding from friends with gluten sensitivity or intolerance it is done by means of an elimination diet, slowly adding back foods to see which ones cause you problems.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It is my understanding from friends with gluten sensitivity or intolerance it is done by means of an elimination diet, slowly adding back foods to see which ones cause you problems.

NO.

It's done with a blood test and a biopsy.

And the test is for celiac disease.
  • nickycat73
    nickycat73 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Biopsy is the only correct way to diagnose Celiac Disease. Husband was diagnosed 18 years ago and daughter 9 years ago.
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    You can get blood work done but it isn't accurate. The biopsy is the only reliable way. You can also do elimination but cross contamination happens with glutton all the time. And even a banana slices on the wrong cutting board can have gluten on it.
  • hsk1990
    hsk1990 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    And you need to make sure you have been eating gluten for 6 weeks prior to the test or you may get a false negative result. Good luck :)
  • cpp_happy
    cpp_happy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Ask your Dr to test you for celiac disease (I think the blood test is called antitransgluaminase, some will also do c reactive protein). If your blood work is +, then the Dr will send you for an endoscopy and biopsy. That is the test that will confirm if you have celiac disease or not. I've had celiac disease for 7 years so it's been a long time since I was tested and I forget some of the details lol.
    Intolerance to gluten is determined with an elimination diet and paying attention to how you feel.
    Good luck with it all :)