Do you track your spices?

Options
dango5
dango5 Posts: 1 Member
when cooking, if you add a bit of salt, pepper, garlic powder, turmeric, ect., do you put that into your my fitness pal?

Replies

• Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    No - I've done it in the past and found even when using several different spices it might add up to around 10 or 20 cals. In my mind, I could be over or under by that amount every day due to errors in logging/weighing etc so I'm not going to worry about this few calories.

I did once see a comment here about a particular spice that was calorie-laden, I can't remember what it was but it wasn't something I use. So now I don't bother :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I would if I knew how many calories they have, but as they go by the dumb 'less than 5 calories = 0 calorie' rule, it's impossible to know.

I'll log cinnamon because at least it's in the database with a correct value.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. I always do in the recipe builder. For little dashes here and there, I don't bother. But I always finish my day under my calorie goal, so I figure any little bits like a grind or two of pepper are covered.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I do when I build my recipes. And in some of them, there is a good amount of calories just from spices. But it really comes down to how meticulous you want to me. If you are losing weight while not tracking it, then cool, but at some point if you have very little to lose, it might require you to be more meticulous to hit your goals which is where I am at now.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    When I first started I did, but I found that the calories were minimal and it made me absolutely miserable. I love grabbing random spices off my shelf and throwing them into whatever I'm making.

Now I don't really. I'm much happier. Sometimes I will put my spices into the recipe builder or if I'm using a seasoning blend with a lot of salt. I make my own taco seasoning and chili blend so it doesn't happen too often.
  • yeahfatty
    yeahfatty Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i have never given it any thought, always thought they had no calories really, probably pretty naive of me. is there a spice that is super calorie dense? 'cause i usually don't hold back on spices.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    No, waste of time. Same for really low calorie condiments/toppings like yellow mustard, onions, tomatoes on a burger.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I always do in recipes. But in general, I do not. I did for a while and found that the logging of the miniscule calories from spices I use throughout the day was just not worth the time or effort.
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    I log just about everything and used to log spices, but as many of the people above stated, its a waste of time. They give almost no value anywhere. I even log vitamins I take that MFP does track their nutrients (gelatin), but atleast there I can keep track of my medications. Spices have no value on MFP.
  • blondx7
    blondx7 Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    LOL no, my OCD isn't that bad
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    no. I don't log spices. I do log condiments like mustard and ketchup.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm sorry... my broswer kept on telling me it wasn't posting.
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I don't add them but if I imported a recipe I don't bother deleting them.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. I always do in the recipe builder. For little dashes here and there, I don't bother. But I always finish my day under my calorie goal, so I figure any little bits like a grind or two of pepper are covered.

This is me too. I put them into the recipe builder, as much to remind me if I make it again. Condiments, even if I use a small amount of something like Worcestershire or mustard, always get logged.

• yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Some spices have a lot of potassium or other micronutrients in them, so I log them for that.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I just track stuff like mayo, ketchup, etc. Salt, pepper, garlic salt I don't track.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Some spices have a lot of potassium or other micronutrients in them, so I log them for that.
    I do this as well...
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Nah. Too much hassle. I'm doing just fine without tracking it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    No, waste of time. Same for really low calorie condiments/toppings like yellow mustard, onions, tomatoes on a burger.

same same
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    no