baked french fries

Options
2»

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Ultimate Oven Fries

Make sure to use a heavy baking sheet for this recipe - it cooks at very high heat.

Ingredients-
    3 russet potatoes (about 8 oz. each), peeled
    5 T. vegetable or peanut oil (or less, however much you want)
    salt and pepper (or any other seasoning you would like to add)

Cut each potato lengthwise into 10-12 EVENLY sized wedges.

Adjust oven rack to lowest position; heat oven to 475 degrees.

Place potatoes in large bowl and cover w/ VERY hot tap water; soak 10 minutes. Meanwhile, coat a 18"x12" heavy-duty rimmed baking sheet with 4 T. oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, set aside.

Drain potatoes and THOROUGHLY dry. Rinse and wipe out bowl; return potatoes to bowl and toss w/ remaining 1 T. oil. Arrange potatoes in single layer on prepared baking sheet; cover tightly w/ foil and bake 5 minutes.

Remove foil and continue to bake until bottoms of potatoes are spotty golden brown, 15 - 20 minutes, rotating baking sheet after 10 minutes. Using a spatula and tongs, scrape to loosen potatoes from pan, then flip each wedge, keeping potatoes in single layer. Continue baking until fries are golden and crisp, 5 - 15 minutes longer, rotating pan as needed if fries are bowning unevenly.

Transfer fries to second baking sheet (I just used the foil from the earlier step) lined w/ paper towels to drain. Season w/ additional salt and pepper to taste.

Serves 3 - 4.
  • tnicmorris
    tnicmorris Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I usually use frozen fries and spray them with cooking spray before baking them. When I turn them halfway through cooking to cook the other side, I spray the new side and finish baking them. Frozen waffle fries work the best, in my opinion, with this technique. Plus, it's easier to count them (if you're counting for serving size).
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options

I will try this.

These were great. Very crunchy. Thank you.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I use the smallest amount of oil possible (seriously, like a tablespoon for 4-6 good-sized potatoes), dust a little flour or cornstarch over the potatoes once they're coated, and don't skimp on the salt. Roast at a higher temp -- 425F or so -- for a shorter time (20 minutes, maybe), turning once about halfway through. Try to balance all your slices skin-side down for the first half of the roast.
  • shargolf
    shargolf Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shargolf
    shargolf Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    :wink: bump
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    try these bake them they are good
    sweet_potato_julienne_fries_large.jpg

Those are good, but trust me - homemade ones are even better, and all you have to do is slice both ways and toss in olive oil and salt.
  • techcat10
    techcat10 Posts: 15
    Options
    Sorry this is a little off topic... but how do i "bump" a topic? does one have to do something specific to "bring up a topic" or is it just indicative?

You just write as a comment "Bump" or anything else you want like "read later", "to remember", etc. some people bump so it will remain in their comments and have it as a resource in the future.

Thanks!!!! :)
  • MrsGraves1987
    MrsGraves1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You must make sure you parboil them!

Once parboiled, drain the water and shake slightly in the pan so they are a little bashed (not broken).

Then toss in a little oil, or spray with sunflower oil spray - add salt and oven bake.

Yuummmm
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I bake my french fries on a cookie sheet. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil over them and then I sprinkle a little Country Bob's Seasoning Salt on them. Turn them over half way through baking and add a little more seasoning. It doesn't take much.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I microwave them in a bowl for a couple minutes with a bit of water, covered. The toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and some parmesan. Put them on parchment paper at 450 degrees until browned. Don't know if its the parchment or the microwave but they taste a lot better than without doing that! Plus they don't get stuck to the parchment so all the brown doesn't come off when trying to flip them.