My review of Quest Protein Bars

Options
Just wanted to give you some feedback on these bars. In my honest opinion they work great, good protein and fiber, low calorie and sugars. It has worked too good for me so I am going to be limiting my intake of these bars until i can get my calories up (I was at 800-1000cal/day) and through some helpful guidance from users here I have seen the errors in my ways.

However, this doesn't mean that this wouldn't help other people with their cravings for sweet stuff and to be honest i love the flavors. No I don't work for quest or anyone else associated with fitness (I am a computer programmer), I just want to give back to the people that have helped me.

Let me know your feedback and opinions on what I have stated, I am always open to other people's opinions.

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the Quest bars, but if they fit within your needs that's great. Something that is giving you some added protein and fiber can help you feel more full between meals.

If you're needing something with more calories, you might look at Clif bars, too. They tend to run around 250 cals, make a substantial enough snack if I'm stretching between meals, taste decent, and are relatively cheap (my store often has them at ~$1/ea).

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    A lot of the fibre appears to be "artificial", and I had a similar opinion about the synthetic taste of the flavourings. If cool or cold you need an iron jaw to chew some of them too. The comments may be specific to the individual flavours.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Clif bars really sate my sweet cravings (the white chocolate macadamia bar is pure decadence) but you're going to pay for that in excess carbs and sugar. I like them when I have some room left in my calorie count for the day and I want to fill up all three of my macros a bit more instead of just eating something yummy, but empty.

But yeah - I read a thread on MFP that consisted mostly of people ranting and raving about how awesome Quests were, so I went out and bought some. They're not bad, but they're not anything more than your average protein bar. I guess they're low in sugar and gluten free (which is great if you have Celiac's), but they don't have the head-exploding taste I was led to believe they did.

Plus - wow, expensive. If you're going to do the protein bar thing regardless, then I suppose they're competitively priced. If you just need the calorie boost, or are trying to find something sweet and healthy to fill you up, I think there are better alternatives.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 or 4 flavors and find them pretty gross. Don't like the texture at all. They have great macros and fiber, but in my opinion, for the price, there are better values.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I like them a lot. I typically eat one for breakfast every day. They also help when I have a chocolate craving. I've heard you can "bake" the chocolate chip cookie dough one to make cookies so I'm going to see if I can look up how to do that and try it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to give you some feedback on these bars. In my honest opinion they work great, good protein and fiber, low calorie and sugars. It has worked too good for me so I am going to be limiting my intake of these bars until i can get my calories up (I was at 800-1000cal/day) and through some helpful guidance from users here I have seen the errors in my ways.

However, this doesn't mean that this wouldn't help other people with their cravings for sweet stuff and to be honest i love the flavors. No I don't work for quest or anyone else associated with fitness (I am a computer programmer), I just want to give back to the people that have helped me.

Let me know your feedback and opinions on what I have stated, I am always open to other people's opinions.

Hi Shawn,

I've never tried Quest bars before, but now I think I might next time I see them on sale at the gym. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    A lot of the fibre appears to be "artificial", and I had a similar opinion about the synthetic taste of the flavourings. If cool or cold you need an iron jaw to chew some of them too. The comments may be specific to the individual flavours.

So, are they those really chewy kind that are sort of like taffy?
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I love them and think they are a great help to me. They really fill me up. I wasn't happy with the cost, but then I did a comparison of protein, calories, carbs, etc. The Quest bars are so superior on protein, I will pay the extra. There are four flavors that I like, but the others are awful, in my opinion!
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I think they're a great treat for every once in a while due to the high cost. I've tried just about every flavor, and to be completely honest I've been disappointed with most of them, but there are some I absolutely love. When I say I was disappointed, I don't mean that I found them gross, just not as good as I had hoped. My absolute favorite is their Double Chocolate Chunk followed by their Cookies & Cream and S'mores. Their chips, however, are something I can't get enough of as well as their protein powders and when I really want to treat myself, their Cravings Peanut Butter Cups (which does not taste like Reese's, but is very good in its own way due to its rich, slightly salty dark chocolate nature with crumbly powdered peanut butter-like filling).
    Also, just about all of Quest's bars taste a million times better in the microwave! Their Double Chocolate Chunk is the only one that I love just as much whether or not it's microwaved - when you microwave that flavor it gets really gooey, but then not microwaved the chocolate chips stay firm and really indulgent. You can't lose with that one!
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

For me they don't seem to be that chewy like taffy. They are kind of chewy though. I've tried the apple pie, chocolate brownie, caramel, cinnamon roll, brownie crunch, chocolate peanut butter so far and I like them all. I have several other flavors I haven't tried yet.

• shawnmstout
    shawnmstout Posts: 131 Member
    Options

Some people warm them in the microwave for 5 seconds, i don't really find any issue with them though.
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    Clif bars really sate my sweet cravings (the white chocolate macadamia bar is pure decadence) but you're going to pay for that in excess carbs and sugar. I like them when I have some room left in my calorie count for the day and I want to fill up all three of my macros a bit more instead of just eating something yummy, but empty.

But yeah - I read a thread on MFP that consisted mostly of people ranting and raving about how awesome Quests were, so I went out and bought some. They're not bad, but they're not anything more than your average protein bar. I guess they're low in sugar and gluten free (which is great if you have Celiac's), but they don't have the head-exploding taste I was led to believe they did.

Plus - wow, expensive. If you're going to do the protein bar thing regardless, then I suppose they're competitively priced. If you just need the calorie boost, or are trying to find something sweet and healthy to fill you up, I think there are better alternatives.

I actually liked that the carbs and sugar were lower than other bars that i compared it to. Plus with 20g of protein and 17g of fiber, it seems like the best option i have found.
  • shawnmstout
    Options

Hi Shawn,

I've never tried Quest bars before, but now I think I might next time I see them on sale at the gym. :)

gnc usually has regular sales, buy 3 get 1 free.
  • shawnmstout
    Options

they do remind you of a taffy feeling but they also have chunks of stuff, look at the ingredients and it will surprise you of how little are in there. For example, the chocolate cookie dough has chunks of chocolate in them.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are my favorite! I eat at least one a day. For me, I avoid the fruit flavors, as they're pretty gross imo, and my favorites are double chocolate chunk, cookies and cream, and now mint chocolate chunk. Microwaving them makes them like a warm, yummy dessert, and all the protein really fills you up. I would work for Quest if I could! ;)
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    Slashnl wrote: »
    I love them and think they are a great help to me. They really fill me up. I wasn't happy with the cost, but then I did a comparison of protein, calories, carbs, etc. The Quest bars are so superior on protein, I will pay the extra. There are four flavors that I like, but the others are awful, in my opinion!

I did a comparison as well, i couldn't find anything that was as good on a macro level.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I've had to really cut back on eating Quest bars. They constipate me, especially if I eat them every day.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I've tried every flavor offered at my neighborhood store. Honestly, I find them too "sweet" but considering that for most of them there is only 1 gram of sugar....
    The protein and fiber content though, that's why I will use them. And usually only half a bar. A whole bar sets my tummy in an uproar-not from the fiber, but something else in the bar. I'm thinking it might be the xylitol, but I don't know for sure. It helps me hit my numbers without actually having to eat real food.

Otherwise, meh.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I’m a huge fan of Quest bars. They seem expensive, but you’re getting two macros for your buck (protein and fibre), so it’s worth it when compared with other protein bars on the market. Also, their fibre is no more “artificial” than anything else. You can actually buy Vitafibre (the fibre syrup they use) on Amazon if you want to make them yourself, though I’m not sure the cost savings are that big.

Anyway, Double Chocolate Chunk is my favourite as well. I also like Chocolate Peanut Butter, Coconut Cashew, and Mint Chocolate Chip, but DCC is my #1. I eat one every day, if not more. Keeping your water intake high is a good idea because of the fibre - that’s what can cause digestive issues.
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »
    I think they're a great treat for every once in a while due to the high cost. I've tried just about every flavor, and to be completely honest I've been disappointed with most of them, but there are some I absolutely love. When I say I was disappointed, I don't mean that I found them gross, just not as good as I had hoped. My absolute favorite is their Double Chocolate Chunk followed by their Cookies & Cream and S'mores. Their chips, however, are something I can't get enough of as well as their protein powders and when I really want to treat myself, their Cravings Peanut Butter Cups (which does not taste like Reese's, but is very good in its own way due to its rich, slightly salty dark chocolate nature with crumbly powdered peanut butter-like filling).
    Also, just about all of Quest's bars taste a million times better in the microwave! Their Double Chocolate Chunk is the only one that I love just as much whether or not it's microwaved - when you microwave that flavor it gets really gooey, but then not microwaved the chocolate chips stay firm and really indulgent. You can't lose with that one!

My absolute favorite is their
    Double Chocolate Chunk - i love these as well, one of my favorites
    Cookies & Cream - another good one
    S'mores - i dont really care that much for these

Here are some of my reviews

Mixed Berry Bliss - Like it
    Apple Pie - it was ok, probably wont buy anymore
    Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough - Love it!
    Vanilla Almond Crunch - One of my favorites to buy
    Chocolate Mint Chunk - It was ok, probably wouldnt buy again
    Cookies and Cream - Like it
    White Chocolate Rasberry - Eww, had high hopes, but wasnt good