How do you get your head right for working out?

Options
I've gotten my butt up and made myself hit the gym the past two days - which I'm proud of myself for - but I face the same struggle each time I step out onto the gym floor and see all these toned, muscled people. I keep thinking that they're disgusted looking at me, thinking that I don't belong there. I know intellectually that most likely they don't even see me (as they're too busy doing their own thing) but I still feel self-conscious.

What do some of you do to get your head in the game for your workouts and keep your thinking positive?

Replies

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    some days I just have to make myself do it. If I am not feeling it I may not do as good of a workout as I would like. However any workout is better than no workout. Good Luck on your journey
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    We are all self-conscious about something. It's normal, but don't let it stop you. Just plan your workout for the day and DO IT. Remember - everyone there is focused on themselves, as are you. The more you go and the more consistent you are the better you'll feel. All those "toned" people there started somewhere, right?

I also treat my gym time as part of my work day: mandatory and scheduled. Good luck - you can do this!
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I love what the above posters said! I am sure you are correct and no one is even paying attention, they are too busy worrying about themselves. The only thing I notice at the gym is if someone is exceptionally loud or it they are doing the lat pulldown with bad form. Thats about it.
    Put your music on (something hardcore - I like Rob Bailey and the Hustle Standard's music because it a motivational speech inside music) and block everyone else out. It takes time to learn to truly do this, but it will get easier. Trust me.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sometimes I force myself when I'm not really feeling it, but most times it's the anticipation of the rush I get from the exercising that gives me my motivation. Remember, most of those toned f***ers started out just like us... fat and embarassed about it.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I don't feel right if I don't exercise, and neither will you after you've been doing it consistently for a while. It feels too good to miss out just because I'm not perfect.
  • miss_rye_
    miss_rye_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I also have my whole work out preplanned before I get there. I am there on a mission, so I don't even notice those other people.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I like to plan ahead my workout and what I'm going to wear (my workout clothes keep ME motivated). Also, I like heavy metal/hard music (Disturbed, Rob Zombie..etc.) for lifting and pop music for cardio.
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You got it right, no one is looking at you, they are concentrating on their own thing. And if they do look & I like to think that they're thinking, "good for her, she's taking a step in the right direction!"
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm....I wonder how those fit and "toned" people got that way?

tumblr_inline_n2nlq8xAda1rt6qr4.gif

Many of those healthy, fit, and toned people you see...weren't always healthy, fit, and toned...but they put in the work and they keep putting in the work because a fitness body is simply a bi-product of living a fitness lifestyle. No fitness lifestyle, no fitness body...that's the way it works.

Also, you are correct...pretty much everybody in there is consumed by their work...they really don't have the time, energy, or need to check you out...they're there to work.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    This is going to maybe sound like a cop-out, but it worked for me when I first started. I wore a baggy T-shirt (and yoga pants or leggings) and worked out in a smaller room off to the side, where I felt less self-conscious about learning how to use dumbbells. As I got better at it, and lost weight, I moved to the "big" room. It was just easier that way, I got my workouts in with less anxiety.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Once you realize that the only opinions that really matter are the ones we place true value upon ( family, friends, a mentor, etc ), you'll understand what they may or may not think is irrelevant.

If you paid the membership, and have the motivation to show up, then you belong.

Realize that you made your choices for your reasons, and not to impress random ppl you don't know.

For me, its really simple ... cause i don't give a $H!T what any of them may be thinking ( if they are at all ) about me. Cause, in the grand scheme of things, they are as inconsequential to my happiness as the ppl I pass on the street.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    its about discipline not thought or emotion. i just do it.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Once I started seeing and feeling results I was motivated to make it a habit. Stick with it for a week, you will surely feel as if you've made some amount of progress.
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of people who are looking at you in the gym are thinking positive thoughts about you. Keep showing up, dropping weight, and the regulars will notice the difference.

The only judgements I have are with the people obsessed with taking selfies, on their cellphone taking up space, or just hanging out near a machine that someone else could be using.

As far as getting through it... You have to train yourself to be in the mind set that on the other side of that workout, you will be a better person. Be that better person.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My alarm is set to "Roman's Revenge" by Nicki Minaj and Eminem. I put on my clothes groggy, grab some cold water and by the time I'm out the door, I'm ready to attack my workout. Pre-workout helps me on days when I'm very beat, too. I suggest you find some music that really gets you in the mood - I second Rob Bailey and Hustle Standard. I usually listen to alt/indie rock or folk, but for some reason workout music has to be rap or dubstep with me. Or, y'know, ear-melting metal.

I don't know if this is something that would work for you - I know some ladies like it, but it hurts others - but maybe find some fitness models or other women who have physiques that inspire you. Recently, I've been loving looking at Sandra Prikker's Instagram (also, her Samoyed is just *kitten* adorable). Michelle Lewin (I think?) is another favourite. I also really love watching women's "street workouts" vids - it's inspiring seeing some ladies smiling and laughing as they're doing dragon flags or one-armed pull-ups.

As for those muscles in the gym? Chances are they've got a case of the resting lifting *kitten*-face. They ain't disgusted at you, they're just in perpetual anger-face for the lifts. I look like I'll kill whoever comes near me whenever I deadlift, but I'm really friendly once I've changed and am getting ready for the day post-workout. If you lift, take a cursory glance at yourself in the mirror while resting - you've probably got a bit of resting lifting *kitten*-face, too, ha ha!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to tell yourself, "self, I'm going to feel uncomfortable and that's okay, I can deal with it because it won't be forever" and then get out there. You've already figured out that nobody is actually judging you, it's in your head, so you have the power to overcome it.

One thing you can do is set yourself fitness goals - like if you do treadmill, try to add a little speed or incline every time. If you do weights, keep progressing. Give your mind something to strive for instead of just stuff to avoid.

And as your fitness improves, you'll feel better and better and more and more like you belong there, and then you'll have to come here and reassure the new newbies that it'll all be okay :)
  • Frozenmango
    Frozenmango Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    These suggestions/comments are awesome guys. Thank you so much! Keep them coming :)
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    At some point, working out will get your head right. Make it habit and you'll want to do it.