IIFYM

Options
Anyone doing iifym? I just finished my first day yesterday and couldn't hit my macros (but within 200 cals). Looking for support :)

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    IIFYM - If It Fits Your Macros

... Just remember not to throw nutrition out the window. You can follow this mantra to the T and still have a very poor diet. In an extreme case, one can feasibly "fit their macros" on candybars and protein powder and be very unhealthy.

Predominate your intake with a rich variety of whole foods and don't ignore nutritious, high fiber items, protein, and dietary fat... should be the mantra... but it's a bit too long to abbreviate. ;)
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is a decent method, but you have to set up your macros properly. How did you do it?
  • Bansh3e
    Bansh3e Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I do IIFYM.The thing is that you need to eat 80% healthy and 20% ,,dirty''.So basically you can eat one slice of cake per day or some sour candy.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Protein first, fat second, leftover for carbs, and you'll hit it every time.

I've got a macro range. So I don't care if I don't hit it dead-on.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I've been doing IIFYM/flexible dieting for over 2 year. Basically, eat the foods you like while hitting your calorie, macro, and fiber goals. To do that, especially while trying to lose weight, you'll be default be eating mostly whole foods (to get enough fiber). As your calories increase, you have more room in your macro budget for treat foods.

Here are the general macro settings that I use.
    Protein: 0.8-1.2 g/lb
    Fat: 20-30% of your calories
    Carbs: the rest of your calories
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - I think you may be doing it backwards. With IIFYM protein and fats are minimums and then you fill in with carbs...so are you saying that you did not hit your protein and fat minimum, or something else?