Prefer not to eat then eating fast food?

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited June 2015
    What exactly is unhealthy? raw sewage? Listen, skipping a meal is not going to kill you, I do it every day, sometimes skipping two meals a day. Likewise, a Big Mac is not unhealthy either. Think about it, you're still getting carbs, protein and fat, and depending on what you get, it's in good balance too. Don't buy into all that crap about fast food being bad for you, it's just food.

Rigger

And a bunch of unnecessary and toxic chemicals, artificial flavor enhancers that wreak havoc on your digestive system and taste buds, cancer causing trans fats, an unnatural ratio of omega 6 to 3, I could go on...

Name one. Name one, single chemical you are concerned about in fast food. You don't even have to tell me why it's dangerous. Just give me the name.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    What exactly is unhealthy? raw sewage? Listen, skipping a meal is not going to kill you, I do it every day, sometimes skipping two meals a day. Likewise, a Big Mac is not unhealthy either. Think about it, you're still getting carbs, protein and fat, and depending on what you get, it's in good balance too. Don't buy into all that crap about fast food being bad for you, it's just food.

Rigger

And a bunch of unnecessary and toxic chemicals, artificial flavor enhancers that wreak havoc on your digestive system and taste buds, cancer causing trans fats, an unnatural ratio of omega 6 to 3, I could go on...

Name one. Name one, single chemical you are concerned about in fast food. You don't remember have to tell me why it's dangerous. Just give me the name.

I'm happy to dis fast food til the cows come home, but we should probably take this to a new thread.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited June 2015
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Rigger

Name one. Name one, single chemical you are concerned about in fast food. You don't remember have to tell me why it's dangerous. Just give me the name.

I'm happy to dis fast food til the cows come home, but we should probably take this to a new thread.

The OP mentioned fast food and asked about the health of eating fast food vs. skipping a meal. I don't see why refuting someone's fear-mongering against fast food in a thread about fast food would be an issue.
  • kshama2001
    Alright then - pink slime.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-laz-pink-slime-20140815-story.html

...For the uninitiated, pink slime, a.k.a. "lean, finely textured beef," is a mixture of the parts of the cow that everyone else doesn't want and chemicals such as ammonia to keep it fresh.

Pink slime is used as an industrial filler to make beef go further -- kind of like the way drug dealers cut their product with cheaper ingredients to make more money.

...According to the Wall Street Journal, production of pink slime has doubled since hitting rock bottom in 2012.

As to who's using it now, that's a mystery. McDonald's said in May that it still wasn't using pink slime. In fact, I couldn't find a single company that's admitted using it again.

But obviously someone is. Otherwise production of pink slime wouldn't be up 100%.

So I'm with you, Laura -- I want to know who's using it.

At this point, though, it looks like nobody's fessing up.

• kshama2001
    edited June 2015
    Subway had to remove azodicarbonamide due to consumer backlash after a blogger pointed out the chemical is also used to increase elasticity in products including yoga mats, shoe rubber, and synthetic leather.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/04/11/subway-yoga-mat-chemical-almost-out-of-bread/7587787/

...Hari has said she targeted Subway because of its image of serving healthy food. Hari has also called on other companies including Chick-fil-A and Kraft to remove ingredients she finds objectionable.

The sentiment is one that has been gaining traction, with more people looking to eat foods they feel are natural and examining labels more carefully. The trend has prompted numerous food makers to adjust their recipes, even as they stand by the safety of their products. Among the companies that have made changes are PepsiCo Inc., which removed a chemical from Gatorade, and ConAgra, which recently simplified the ingredients in its Healthy Choice frozen meals.
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member

Rigger

Wow, really? So much fear and ignorance in three little lines. Do you know what's in all food? Chemicals, one of the compounds in an apple is arsenic, that's pretty toxic. Don't fear fast food.

Rigger

And pears have formaldehyde! All food is chemicals, sorry.
  • arv51862
    arv51862 Posts: 115 Member
    I'm bad about packing my lunch / dinner for work as well...
    And we usually only get a 30 minute break so I'm frequently doing the fast food for one meal per day.
    I just look at the healthiest options available. Long Johns Baked Cod Dinner, Chick-Fil -A Grilled chicken nuggets, McDonalds premium grilled chicken wrap, All of the big burger places offer grilled chicken sandwiches, just avoid the fries & soda ! Mickey Dee's Oatmeal, or parfait... Salads,... The list goes on & on, just look for the healthy stuff & avoid the rest !
  • sammyantics
    sammyantics Posts: 191 Member
    I always don't eat then eat. Otherwise I would always be eating or not eating.

This is the best response I've seen on MFP ever.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    johnnyh55 wrote: »
    I would need to do more planning but probably change my lifestyle altogether. I don't often cook at home and it's because the kitchen is not clean enough for my taste.

Clean it. Or perhaps there's something else going on here.
    This is one of the reason I almost always eat out and never feel like cooking. I hardly ever do groceries because of this.

You need to figure this out or move out. Planning is key. There is a lot you can do to supplement meals without cooking, like yogurts and raw fruits and veggies and nuts, tinned fish, smoked salmon, stuff like that. Get a rotisserie chicken as someone else mentioned. If you want to go out all the time, find restaurants that serve foods you think are healthy and that meet your nutrition goals. I don't like McD's or the like, but they have better and worse options from a nutrition and calorie standpoint. Personally, there are plenty of other lunch type places that I think are okay, although they may be more expensive, which is why cooking is best. There are also pre-made foods for purchase at many supermarkets that include things that are not much different than homemade (and salad bars) and a huge variety of frozen meals (depending on what your requirements are) if you want to try those.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt

Oh please, this was due to Food Babe's whining. I could also argue that water is a chemical used in all of those things. Azodicarbonamide has been used safely as a food additive for years, and its discontinuation is a result of fanny-patting a whiney group of individuals who fell asleep in their chem class.

http://gawker.com/the-food-babe-blogger-is-full-of-*kitten*-1694902226
  • kshama2001
    edited June 2015
    Coke to Remove Flame-Retardant Chemical From All Its Drinks

Coca-Cola is in the process of removing brominated vegetable oil from its entire line of beverages, including Powerade, Fanta Orange and Fresca, a representative for the company confirmed to Newsweek on Monday. The move comes one year after PepsiCo announced it would remove the controversial chemical, also patented as a flame retardant, from Gatorade.

The move follows an online Change.org petition from Mississippi teenager Sarah Kavanagh urging soda companies to remove the Brominated vegetable oil (BVO). Her Powerade petition gathered 59,000 online signatures, while her Gatorade petition had more than 200,000, according to the AP. Despite removing the chemical, Coca-Cola says it stands by the safety of its drinks, including those that contain BVO.

“All of our beverages, including those with BVO, are safe and always have been—and comply with all regulations in the countries where they are sold,” Coca-Cola said in a statement.

BVO is not approved for use in food the European Union or Japan. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved its use in food products on an interim basis, “pending additional study.” Mountain Dew, also made by PepsiCo, still contains BVO, along with Squirt and Sunkist Peach Soda, from the Dr Pepper Snapple Group, according to The New York Times.

Read more: http://www.newsweek.com/coke-remove-flame-retardant-chemical-all-its-drinks-249616
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    edited June 2015

...For the uninitiated, pink slime, a.k.a. "lean, finely textured beef," is a mixture of the parts of the cow that everyone else doesn't want and chemicals such as ammonia to keep it fresh.

Pink slime is used as an industrial filler to make beef go further -- kind of like the way drug dealers cut their product with cheaper ingredients to make more money.

...According to the Wall Street Journal, production of pink slime has doubled since hitting rock bottom in 2012.

As to who's using it now, that's a mystery. McDonald's said in May that it still wasn't using pink slime. In fact, I couldn't find a single company that's admitted using it again.

But obviously someone is. Otherwise production of pink slime wouldn't be up 100%.

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/msm.asp

How terrible of the US to try and eliminate waste in the meat industry? The snopes article lays everything out nicely. I have no issues with eating products made with mechanically-separated meat on occasion (we just had hot dogs the other day).

No, it's not "soaked in ammonia," and no it doesn't contain eyeballs or bones, it's simply a way to get all of the edible meat off of the bones. Also, beef MSM is banned in the US, so you'll generally only find mechanically separated chicken or pork.

Considering that many cultures eat organs and other offal from animals, I won't whine about there being a little cartilage in my hot dogs.

*Edit: changed "wine" to "whine" because it was driving me crazy.
  • lemurcat12
    I don't even like fast food, but that seems like derailing. Is there some law that people have to get soda with their fast food? Is fast food unique in being a source of soda purchases?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't even like fast food, but that seems like derailing. Is there some law that people have to get soda with their fast food? Is fast food unique in being a source of soda purchases?

Agreed, Coke is not a "fast food".
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member

Don't forget salt.
  • lemurcat12
    edited June 2015

Oh please, this was due to Food Babe's whining. I could also argue that water is a chemical used in all of those things. Azodicarbonamide has been used safely as a food additive for years, and its discontinuation is a result of fanny-patting a whiney group of individuals who fell asleep in their chem class.

Nice link!

The link to the Slate article within the piece you linked was pretty good too: http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2015/02/food_babe_book_and_blog_claims_beaver_*kitten*_coal_tar_and_yoga_mat_in_your.html

The "yoga mat" claim is my personal way to weed out people who are getting info from questionable sources.
  • kshama2001
    Chick-fil-A Removing Dyes, Corn Syrup and TBHQ in 2014

After writing several blog posts about how many controversial ingredients are used at Chick-fil-A (TBHQ – an ingredient derived from butane, artificial food dyes, MSG, living conditions of their chickens, etc), the fast-food giant reached out to me.

Chick-fil-A invited me to their headquarters to consult with them on how they could change their ingredients. I was reluctant at first, because not only did I disagree with their food preparation, I also disagreed with many of their other policies.

The desire for the greater consumer good prevailed in my heart. I knew that I, just an everyday girl writing a blog, had a shot at changing the food policies of a major corporation with my corporate consulting experience (along with the help of many more voices supporting me – the Food Babe Army). Change has to start somewhere.

Off I went to the meeting. It was productive and positive, and after a year of follow up meetings directly with Chick-fil-A executives, Chick-fil-a has finally indicated to me that they are making several major changes I suggested.

This morning, I received an email from Chick-fil-A executives confirming these changes:
    • Successfully removed Yellow #5 and reduced sodium in our chicken soup recipe. Our new soup recipe is rolling out chain-wide now, and will be complete by the end of December.
    • We have successfully removed HFCS and artificial colors from several of our sauces and dressings. We will move into a testing and rollout phase with these new condiments in early 2014.
    • Testing peanut oil without TBHQ in multiple markets now with the hopes to rollout chain-wide in early 2014
    • We are still in test with the cleaner label white bun. The test is being expanded to other markets outside of Georgia for possible chain-wide rollout by end of 2014.

Read more: http://foodbabe.com/2013/12/03/breaking-news-chick-fil-a/
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Nice link!

The link to the Slate article within the piece you linked was pretty good too: http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2015/02/food_babe_book_and_blog_claims_beaver_*kitten*_coal_tar_and_yoga_mat_in_your.html

The "yoga mat" claim is my personal way to weed out people who are getting info from questionable sources.

That is a nice article, also. I love to read anything that bashes Food Babe, because everything that she says makes me stabby.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Chick-fil-A Removing Dyes, Corn Syrup and TBHQ in 2014

After writing several blog posts about how many controversial ingredients are used at Chick-fil-A (TBHQ – an ingredient derived from butane, artificial food dyes, MSG, living conditions of their chickens, etc), the fast-food giant reached out to me.

Chick-fil-A invited me to their headquarters to consult with them on how they could change their ingredients. I was reluctant at first, because not only did I disagree with their food preparation, I also disagreed with many of their other policies.

The desire for the greater consumer good prevailed in my heart. I knew that I, just an everyday girl writing a blog, had a shot at changing the food policies of a major corporation with my corporate consulting experience (along with the help of many more voices supporting me – the Food Babe Army). Change has to start somewhere.

Off I went to the meeting. It was productive and positive, and after a year of follow up meetings directly with Chick-fil-A executives, Chick-fil-a has finally indicated to me that they are making several major changes I suggested.

This morning, I received an email from Chick-fil-A executives confirming these changes:
    • Successfully removed Yellow #5 and reduced sodium in our chicken soup recipe. Our new soup recipe is rolling out chain-wide now, and will be complete by the end of December.
    • We have successfully removed HFCS and artificial colors from several of our sauces and dressings. We will move into a testing and rollout phase with these new condiments in early 2014.
    • Testing peanut oil without TBHQ in multiple markets now with the hopes to rollout chain-wide in early 2014
    • We are still in test with the cleaner label white bun. The test is being expanded to other markets outside of Georgia for possible chain-wide rollout by end of 2014.

Read more: http://foodbabe.com/2013/12/03/breaking-news-chick-fil-a/

Food Babe, as has been mentioned earlier, is not a good source. The chick is a moron.

Please see the gawker article that I linked to above and the slate article that @lemurcat12 posted. All of those scary chemicals are covered and explained quite nicely in both of the articles.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited June 2015
    I've still yet to see anything about dangerous, toxic chemicals. The only things being posted are changes to production techniques in response to consumer demand. The process and ingredients themselves aren't dangerous, but trying to sell a product to an ignorant public is decidely so (from a business standpoint, anyway).