Gardening

Options
Since late 2005, I have lived in my home where the HOA cuts the grass and rents you the land. However, they are pretty negligent about weed whacking. Sometimes they will pour a bunch of weed-killer around the houses; other times they don't. I was complaining about this to a friend at church, and she said, why don't you just pull and/or cut the weeds? Huh? I looked at her, dumbfounded. Me? Weed? Are you serious????

Well, then I thought about it, and said okay, I can do that. So I bought a pair of gardening gloves and a small assortment of weed cutters, and I love, love, LOVE it! I spend ten minutes in the morning in the front yard, then ten minutes in the evening in the back yard, just pulling and cutting up the weeds, and my house looks wonderful! I have a huge front yard, and will plant daffodils on it this fall. They will bloom and die before the grass grows, and for two weeks a year, it will be beautiful! Sounds nuts, I know, but ridding my yard of weeds has inspired me!

Replies

• pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Good for you! :) Sometimes it's just a little thing that can make all the difference in our lives!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Glad to see you are inspired to weed. All that bending and stretching is beneficial too you will enjoy next year when you have your daffodils to tend to even more.

Cheers, h.
    Ps. My March to October garden work replaces workouts at the gym, I save the gym for the colder months.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Excellent! I can't imagine pouring poison around my own yard, fowling the air and groundwater on purpose.

Plus, gardening is great free exercise!

That does not sound nuts at all. Next year, you could even grow veggies...
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I've been enjoying my garden this year - usually my husband is around to take of it and I just enjoy the bounty. This year he left right after planting the seeds and I was left to the task of tending to it. I was out there weeding and watering and tending... yesterday I picked these! I was so proud! I grew these all by myself!! I'll be picking tomatoes and green beans soon!

jbldjfpvo6aj.jpg
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nice work!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Beautiful! That alone inspires me to plant next spring!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Wear the gloves!!!

I was recently bitten by something venomous and there was hell to pay. And so much pain. Holy God in heaven, I've never had worse pain - and I gave birth and had three different surgeries to recover from.

Wear the gloves!! :)
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Wear the gloves!!!

I was recently bitten by something venomous and there was hell to pay. And so much pain. Holy God in heaven, I've never had worse pain - and I gave birth and had three different surgeries to recover from.

I love my gloves! I actually have three pairs of them, as in the morning they get very wet and dirty so I have two replacement pairs.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Wear the gloves!!!

I love my gloves! I actually have three pairs of them, as in the morning they get very wet and dirty so I have two replacement pairs.
    You will probably not be surprised to hear that I am now in the market for gloves, lol. When people ask what happened and are told, every one of them says, "Were you wearing gloves?" No, I wasn't. "You're supposed to wear gloves." I want to say, "Yes, thank you. The pain, paralyzation, and scariness of nearly losing my finger didn't tip me off, but now I get it. Gloves are a good idea," but I don't.

Did you just buy a pair in a gardening place or did you get certain ones and do you like them? I have to find long-fingered gloves that allow me to move easily and don't stick too much because they'll be wet.

• atypicalsmith
    Options
    I bought them at Walmart, cheap. That's probably why I need three pairs, hah!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I never like wearing gloves, lose too much feeling, it's nearly like I lose control of my hands. Especially when weeding.

But I don't weed often anyway. I let the garden find a natural balance :D

That's code for I'm too lazy :smiley:

Also dejavu? Did you or someone else post this before?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I'm not very good about wearing gloves either, but there are no venomous creatures where I live.

It is really bad for the fingernails. My dancing hobby (need to have nice, tidy hands and neat nails) and my gardening hobby do not go well together sometimes.

Nice peppers zdyb! I am just starting to get my first jalapenos and serranos now. Soon I will be able to make salsa entirely out of ingredients from my own garden...if you don't count the lime juice!