fit bit or polar watch or? preference? user friendliness?

Options
Which do you prefer and why, what's more user friendly? I am really interested in the fit bit bracelet ? Pros cons? Help?!

Thanks,

Aubrie

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I lost the weight & maintained with a Fitbit Flex, then upgraded to a Charge HR because it has a real buckle (rather than the clasp) and a heart rate monitor. Which one you choose is entirely a matter of personal preference—and price.

Fitbits calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and sync with MFP. Fitbit challenges are great motivation—and fun.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I prefer polar, I have the V800, have used the loop, and FT80 also, I find them very user friendly, several different choices to fit almost every need. I prefer the chest band I don't need all day HR monitoring, only when I'm exercising. I like the fact that they link with most cardio equipment to display heart rate, and control the level/incline/resistance. Waterproof to 100 ft, some will track your heart rate under water. Min has a profile for almost every exercise, and when you upload to the polar flow app it automatically syncs with mfp with the one that you used when using an Apple product, they are still working out the bugs for android. I don't use it, the M400, and V800 have smart phone notification, but once again only with apple product. Suppose to get music control in the future.
  • washbellymare
    washbellymare Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    azucker88 wrote: »
    Which do you prefer and why, what's more user friendly? I am really interested in the fit bit bracelet ? Pros cons? Help?!

Thanks,

Aubrie

• datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If your looking for a tracker only while working out or exercising I feel like polar is more accurate than Fitbit, I used an ft7 but recently transferred to a Fitbit hr because I want to see my daily calories and movement not just while exercising. Social aspect definitely goes to Fitbit
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    azucker88 wrote: »

What do you want to achieve? Different tools do different things and might be more appropriate in different cicumstances.

A step counter will give you a reasonable estimate of your daily activities, whereas a GPS based device is useful for tracking running, cycling or the like.

An HRM is useful for performance improvement training, but of very limited value for calorie estimation.

As far as branding is concerned, there's not much in it.

Polar make good HR monitoring equipment but their GPS tracking doesn't get a great reputation
    Garmin and Suunto make good GPS equipment but their HR monitoring is weaker
    Fitbit make reasonable consumer grade step counters, but their HR tracking and GPS tracking gets a pretty poor reputation

Your budget plays in as well. If I was going to spend $400 to $500 on a device I wouldn't go to Polar, but at $100 I may do.

The most important question is what are you going to use it to track?