Crystal light vs plain water

Options
2»

Replies

• lifelessmind
    lifelessmind Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the taste of the artificial sweetener in Crystal Light and similar. I much prefer making "spa water" (as they call it on Pinterest) by putting lemon and cucumber in my water, or strawberry and mint, or whatever else strikes my fancy when I need to mix things up :)

If you log the calories and it fits within your goals, it's probably fine (fuzzy science about whether the fake sugar causes cancer or whatever aside)
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Rheameg wrote: »
    I get tired of plain water. Is crystal light bad?

It has REALLY high levels of artificial sweeteners, so it causes me stomach troubles, even one 8oz glass.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I use half the recommended amount. So, I get 2 quarts per little packet or cup instead of one. I only want to mask the non-taste of water.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Sparkling water plus sliced fruit/veg is delicious. I found drinking water with bubbles met my soft drink cravings. Try mixing and matching: lemon, lime, strawberry, cucumber, apple, blueberry, mint etc.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    PSec wrote: »
    Artificial sweeteners alter the flora in your gut in a bad way, and cause you to crave sweets, but CICO I guess (except it may also cause metabolic disease). Lots of the studies are with rats, not people though, so it might be early to say for sure.
    Then don't say, imo.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Yay for fake science!
    Really, artificial sweeteners aren't bad for you.

That said my store sells little bottles of lemon and lime juice, it's usually sold near the fruits and the little bottles look like fruit!

I prefer those in water or seltzer as I like the tartness.

When I want sweet I just go diet coke or diet dr. Pepper!
  • jstrlv
    jstrlv Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I get the lemon Pure Crystal Light. I mix one packet with water in my half gallon water bottle. It really dilutes the taste, but it's enough flavor for me to keep my still interested in the water. I try to drink one gallon daily. Also the bitterness of the lemon kind of makes me more thirsty so it's easier to get my daily intake.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners alter the flora in your gut in a bad way, and cause you to crave sweets, but CICO I guess (except it may also cause metabolic disease). Lots of the studies are with rats, not people though, so it might be early to say for sure.

Why spread rumors/bro-science or unproven facts?

There is no prove what so ever. The only fact is that TOO MUCH food can harm you. This for multiple reasons...you have an allergic reaction, or you eat too much food in general so in surplus it will make you gain weight.
    Or other harmful aspects...but that is personal.
    I cant have salt(medical reason)...that doesn't make salt harmful for everybody!

So stop spreading rumors or post legit links to studies.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Why spread rumors/bro-science or unproven facts?

...anger...

So stop spreading rumors or post legit links to studies.

Well, it might be coming. I'm a no-cal drink drinker myself, so this would kinda suck if it turns out the be more or less accurate...

We identify NAS-altered microbial metabolic pathways that are linked to host susceptibility to metabolic disease, and demonstrate similar NAS-induced dysbiosis and glucose intolerance in healthy human subjects.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v514/n7521/full/nature13793.html?WT.ec_id=NATURE-20141009
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    Sparkling water plus sliced fruit/veg is delicious. I found drinking water with bubbles met my soft drink cravings. Try mixing and matching: lemon, lime, strawberry, cucumber, apple, blueberry, mint etc.

+1 mint (i'm too lazy to do the others, but in case someone isn't: http://www.recipe.com/fresh-mint-water/ )

this looks good

fresh-mint-water-R109732-ss.jpg

• pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Rheameg wrote: »
    I get tired of plain water. Is crystal light bad?

Nah. I love Crystal Light. I did the math once and found that the most I ever drink in a day is 35 calories worth, but that's a lot of water (I think a gallon...if I remember correctly). I don't even log it.

I also like Mio.

I agree, I never log those cals either. Probably peed them all out lol.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I just can't get enough of sparkling mineral water.

It has all the fizz and the zing and none of the fake sugar or calories.
  • Hulbert0089
    Hulbert0089 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Crystal Light Strawberry Kiwi is amazing!!!
  • Ioras88
    Ioras88 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Aww, no, nothing sparkly for me. (Upsets my stomach.) And nothing sweet - that makes me even more thirsty. :'D

But what's super nice in summer:
    The water+mint combination. Especially when you have a mint plant at home.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Plain water taste a million times better than the crystal light stuff.
    I do like sparkling water occasionally.
  • Muzzoozal
    Muzzoozal Posts: 33 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Try Stevia - look at your local health food store for Stevia in many flavors. You add a few drops to water and yum! It helped me get off the sodas that have made me chronically ill. I enjoy chocolate and the peach.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    If you can get dried hibiscus flowers, usually at a latin market if there's one near you, you can make agua de jamaica. Very very refreshing.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    If you can get dried hibiscus flowers, usually at a latin market if there's one near you, you can make agua de jamaica. Very very refreshing.

I've never heard of it, so I had to Google...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibiscus_tea

Sounds delicious!
  • socialdchic
    socialdchic Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I like Vitamin Water Zero... It uses stevia instead of the artificial sweetener and the REAL Vitamin Water is really bad for you (the one with real sugar, it has a HUGE amount of sugar for a drink). Of course, water is the best but like you I cannot do it all the time and I have never liked adding just fruit because it always tastes like watered down juice to me... I like fruit on its own :) But yeah, I would avoid crystal lite for sure. I started drinking it too a bit ago and read so many awful stuff about it and the fact it can actually HINDER weight loss (look it up). Good luck!
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I don't like water so the only way I will drink it is with crystal lite. My favourite flavours are orange and lemon. I am ADDICTED to the stuff... have it literally stocked up in my pantry :p