Painful feet

Options
I started exercising 6 weeks ago . Including the gym , walking and a light jog. Is it normal for my feet to hurt ?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon, but pain is never good.

Running stores can help you find shoes that feel better.

If you've rested your feet and they keep hurting, see a podiatrist. Some people get inserts and are like, "I wish I'd done this ten years ago!" :)
  • SkiMummy
    SkiMummy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would second the insert comment. I suffered with painful feet for months, and it pretty much stopped me exercising in the end. I finally decided to go and see a Dr about it and she referred me to have inserts made for my shoes. This literally changed my life, and my feet were fine again within weeks.
  • rmitchell239
    rmitchell239 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Inserts are a great idea. Also make sure you are stretching your calves and particularly your plantar fascia before working out. Slow gentle stretches lasting 30 sec to 2 min would accomplish this. This could be performed by hanging your feet off of a step or just one foot while in a standing position. To stretch the plantar fascia better you may try it barefoot. If this or the inserts fail you may need a x-ray of your foot to rule out a heel spur.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Do you have appropriate and supportive running shoes? If you don't, get some. This will make a huge difference. Even invest in the inserts - trust me, it's worth it. If you already have good running shoes and still are having pain, I have a second question - do you have flat feet? If so, go to the doctor. This was how they found out that my feet were concaving. Pain is your body's way of telling you something is wrong. It's normal to have discomfort, not pain. Especially lingering pain.
  • Sewjodie1
    Sewjodie1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, decided to make a trip to the Dr's first to get checked over . Then look into getting inserts . Have purchased good running shoes , will definitely try the stretches too :)