NSV: Stopped eating before the plate was empty!

Options
I am a "clean your plate" kind of person. At home, it is fine because I can control my portions. Restaurants are terrible for me. In fact, since I've been trying to lose weight (a year now), I've tried to stay away from restaurants as much as I can. I went to a place called California Tortilla with my 9 year old daughter yesterday. I normally order a burrito bowl ( around 450 calories). When I first started losing weight and we would go there, I would finish the burrito bowl and practically lick the plate!! I'm sure many of you can relate. Well, yesterday, the portion looked really big to me and I actually stopped before I finished the whole thing. This is HUGE for me since my brain does not normally let my stomach know that it is satisfied until about 20 minutes after a meal!!

I have been losing the weight pretty slowly and I think it is really benefiting me because it is giving my appetite a chance to catch up. YAY me!!

Replies

• kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This is a great NSV! It's good to know you don't have to eat everything on the plate. Congrats!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    SCORE!!!! Good for you!!! Also, I know exactly what you mean. I was served a plate of pasta a few weeks ago that fed me for three meals.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! Portion control is the best friend we can have when trying to lose weight. I have found that when I go to some restaurants that I know serve large portions, I will ask the server to bring me a take home container right away at the beginning of the meal. I put 1/2 in even before I begin eating and have it the next day. Or another trick that is working for me is ordering off the children's menu (if they have healthy choices that is). Sometimes my husband and I will both get a salad, then split the entree. It is all in developing a new way of thinking as you have discovered. Yeah you!