Do you know any fun ways to gain muscle?

Options
For instance, I play tennis now and that is fun exercise I don't have to force myself to do.

Is there anything like that for sculpting muscle? Or is lifting weights the only option?

Replies

• jacquifrench304
    jacquifrench304 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Rock wall climbing , you would build a little that way from body weight ,
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Vinyasa flow or Ashtanga styles of Yoga will build a little muscle if the practise is challenging enough and also help to drop the fat covering the muscles so they appear more defined without necessarily building mass - much like climbing.
    I think with both yoga and things like rock wall climbing you also build a bit of an attitude towards shedding excess fat in order to progress in your chosen activity.
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Define gain muscle. Are you a beginner with no history of working out? The only way to put on muscle is to pick up heavy things and put them down, while increasing your calories.

It also depends what your idea of fun is. Crossfit's atmosphere can be fun, as you're probably to have a group of people lifting with you. Being with other people, who are enthusiastic about you lifting can motivate you to want to do it more. Just be careful not to fall into bad habits of poor form that plagues Crossfit gyms.

You could also try kettlebells. Not light 8lbs ones, but working up to doing 25lbs+.
  • Amandacdelah
    Amandacdelah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've started going to BodyPump classes. They are fun and the instructors are very motivational. The classes are not designed for extreme muscle gain just definition and make you a wee bit stronger. I love it.
  • breytab
    breytab Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ballet.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Eating a lot and moving heavy things is fun for me.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "sculpting muscle". If you would like to see the muscles you have, you need to lose fat over top of the muscles you currently have by eating at a deficit.

If you want to build muscle, you can do that with many different types of exercise that you enjoy. Weight lifting may be faster for gaining muscle (especially when eating at a surplus), but if you don't enjoy it... Also keep in mind that most activities won't work out all muscle groups equally.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Wrestling.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Plyometrics is good for tennis. Create an obstacle course in your back yard. Incorporate moves like lateral jumps, box jumps, power skipping... Skaters is a good move too.

Edit to add: look for a fitness trail in your area. This is a trail with obstacles (boxes, bars, ropes...)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    eating lots of food and lifting heavy things is pretty fun...I had a blast this past winter doing my bulk. I get goose bumps just thinking about it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    eating lots of food and lifting heavy things is pretty fun...I had a blast this past winter doing my bulk. I get goose bumps just thinking about it.

TWINS!
  • Ioras88
    Ioras88 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    What kind of muscle?
    I started doing archery (with blank bows) in April. This uses muscles I didn't know I had.
    Which is great, because I really need to train my neck and upper body muscles anyway.

Since someone suggested ballet: Dancing also strenghtens your muscles and is fun. :)