The experience of losing weight

Options
Seigla
Seigla Posts: 172 Member
Hi,

I want to share some experiences I have (had) during my weight loss process:

Every now and then I notice that some part of my body has changed and this causes me to feel a combination of happiness from the fact that I can really see progress and just weird, like this is not my body. It takes some time to get used to it.

I also feel it's much easier to move now that I am lighter, and now that moving/exercising is an important part of my lifestyle. I notice that when I walk with friends that my comfortable pace is much faster then theirs. I notice the same when I run with them; this is interesting to me to notice, because one friend of mine used to be about just as fast about a year ago.

Before losing weight, when I saw a picture, I almost always thought "do I really look like that"? Now when I see recent pictures I find myself thinking "hey that's not a bad picture". I've gotten so used to pictures of myself looking bad (in my own opinion) that I have to get used to them looking better.

Also what I eat and drink is so much different from a few years ago. What I eat now feels normal to me, and when I think about what I used to eat I understand completely why I gained weight. So much fast food!

But while the experience of losing weight may feel a bit weird at times, I still feel very good about it. I am happy that I made these changes and am curious where this journey will get me!

What about you?

Cheers,
Seigla

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I noticed that I'm so much more comfortable in airline seats and I never knock things down or knock into people with my formerly huge butt anymore!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    It took a year, so nothing really stands out the way it might if it had happened overnight.

I already walked faster than most. I didn't like my picture being taken and still don't. My issue with airlines seats was never the width.

I guess one experience that's different is that when I take my daughters to the mall we can look in the men's section knowing that shorts and short sleeve shirts from the regular person's section can fit now.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with how I see myself when I look in the mirror.

I have lost a total of 94lbs (40 lbs thru MFP) pant size 18 to a 12, shirt 2x to M/L and yet when I look in the mirror I see a fat person staring back at me.
    There are days that feel and look thinner, I walk and move faster, I no longer get winded walking up the 35 steps to my daughters daycare. All my clothes are loose on me, I've had to buy new clothes that fit properly but my mind still has not caught up. I still stop when I see booth sitting at a restaurant and wonder if I'm going to fit.
    I also see before pictures and think wow I didnt realize how big I was and still dread taking pictures now, even though the ones from now are much better then before.

There are days that I feel pretty and am happy with my weight loss journey.
    It's a daily love /hate struggle because I also have loose skin(on my stomach, upper thighs, arms) and am I thinking of doing reconstructive surgery in Dec because I cannot stand to see my self naked, let alone be intimate with anyone. I still need to lose about 40 lbs to be in a healthy BMI but in the meantime I hope I can get over this fat girl mentality.