Why is it so hard for me to loose wait but not --> them? Help pls!

Options

Replies

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    majigurl wrote: »
    They work harder. Or else they're starting fatter.

I started here at only 147.2. But I've run a deficit of about a thousand calories a day.

I've eaten 1200 calories a day or so.

I've walked 15,000 to 30,000 steps most days, averaging 20,000.

I've worked out of top of that most days.

I'm now down 9lbs since early June.

That's the highest safe weight loss possible where I was starting.

If I were 200lbs or 300lbs, I would have lost 2 to 4 times that much on the same regimen.

I hate saying "fatter" but I think this is closer to the truth :neutral: I hate saying that.
    I see how little they work out because we state everything we do and eat. They cheat often.. and you know what. .. as I am writing this.. im JEALOUS.. that is what it's coming down town.
    this ugliness is me.. being jealous... I'm jealous that they aren't working as hard and get to eat more and still drop the weight.. and that's sad of me.. I need to curb that right now. I have no right to feel this way when they are prob. strugging.. I know they are, they say so.. they say how guilty they feel that they aren't doing as much as they wish they were or ate that cake etc. and that's sad of me that I'm jealous when I still see them dropping the weight.. I'm happy for them! I am, and I cheer them on.. but deep down.. it's ugliness. boo on me!
    but hey.. I can see it now.. and I can work on changing that about me and changing how I view my efforts. right? lol trying to see the silver lining to this realisation.

Honey, they're also almost all 5" to a FOOT taller than you. LOL. That's also a big factor for you! You're short. You're going to lose more slowly than someone my height with the same BMI.

The NICE thing, though, is that you have WAY fewer pounds to lose per point BMI!

You'll likely never be able to eat more than 1600 calories a day with a lightly active lifestyle. 2000 if you're like SUPER agressively athletic.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    As an example, your healthy weight range is 90.1-121.7lbs. That's a 31.8lbs range.

Mine, at 5'6", is 114.6-154.9. That's a 40.3lbs range.

I'd have to lose 40lbs to look as slim as you would losing 32.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    And if any musclehead guy comes in and tells you to "recomp," I will kick them in the shins for you. A lot of the guys have no frame of reference for the weights of smaller women.
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    When you measure yourself against someone else's yardstick, you're always going to come up short.
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I just want to chime in and add, on the subject of weight loss not being linear: do you chart or graph your weight? I weigh daily, first thing in the AM and track/chart it in Excel. Some weeks, I show a gain of a lb or two, and then the next week (like last week), I show a loss of like 7 lbs. I compare a "weigh in day" weekly weight loss (this Monday's weight minus last Monday's weight) against a weekly average weight loss (the average of this week's daily weight minus the average of last week's daily weight). When I feel really down because it's a gain week, I run an average loss - mine is 2 lbs per week on the dot - on average. Charting is really insightful and helps you see trends like weight gain during PMS time or AF or other oddities - like I tend to lose in big drops and then dip slightly up following each big drop; then I kind of maintain until the next drop occurs. It's really cool to see a downward linear trend over time too.

Of course - this is all if you can weigh every day and track without freaking out! ;)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    And if any musclehead guy comes in and tells you to "recomp," I will kick them in the shins for you. A lot of the guys have no frame of reference for the weights of smaller women.

I'm 5'2", 118 lbs., and I think OP needs to recomp. In other words, change her focus from getting smaller to getting stronger.

One year ago today, I was 124.4 lbs. So when I say "be patient," I know what I'm talking about!

Trying to lose 2 lb. per week at our size is masochistic.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

I'm 5'2", 118 lbs., and I think OP needs to recomp. In other words, change her focus from getting smaller to getting stronger.

One year ago today, I was 124.4 lbs. So when I say "be patient," I know what I'm talking about!

Trying to lose 2 lb. per week at our size is masochistic.

She's medically overweight. She doesn't need to stay the same weight. She needs to lose weight.

You're STILL 3" taller than the OP. That's like me telling a woman at 5'9" that she's too fat to recomp at 150lbs because I'm too fat at 140.

There is zero medical reason that people need to aim to lose less than a pound a week at average body fat percentages and normal weight ranges. There's zero evidence, too, that obese people put on VLCD versus even LCD versus restricted but not LCDs maintain/continue to lose more poorly. (VLCD are not, of course, appropriate for anyone who is of a healthy weight.)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

OP - it sounds like you have been crash dieting for a long time. I would suggest a diet break and eat at maintenance level for about two months, and then slowly cut back down to a deficit.

Also, if you have not been eating back exercise calories then you have been netting below 1200 calories for a long time, and you are probably suffering from adaptive thermogenesis....

Really? Hmm.. I always tried to stay away from "dieting" and just try and maintain healthy eating habits.

Adaptive Thermogenesis? going to have to look that up.

it is when you eat an insanely low number of calories over a prolonged time and your metabolism slows down to account for the lower calorie intake. Please note this is NOT starvation mode.

When this happens it can reset your maintenance and deficit intake to a lower number. when this happens it is recommended the one take a diet break and slowly increase calories to maintenance, and then stay there for x amount of time and then slowly cut back down.

How long and by how much? Does it depend on my height and weight?

most recommend about a month or two ....not really dependent on height/weight.

Most of the studies an adaptive thermogenesis are REALLY flawed even when the data is accurate.

Here's a favorite:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3173112

ZERO differences in BMR. Differences in metabolism from activity. Okay. Soooo...

Well, then we find out that people who are/were obese burn something like 200-400 calories less per day BECAUSE THEY MOVE LESS when their weights are reduced, while "naturally lean people" maintain the burn advantage even when they put on weight from a high-calorie diet, even when leading the same lifestyle on paper. Naturally lean people tend to be fidgeters, pacers, walkers, bouncers.

Completely makes up for the apparent differences.

Might be more real differences with true starvation, but according to her, she's been on a LCD, not a VLCD. So she hasn't been in the danger zone.

I can see the same things at play between my kids and the neighbors' overweight kids. My kids turn TV watching into a cardio session. Neighbors' kids spend most of a neighborhood pick-up basketball game walking or standingg. Feed them the same foods, and my kids will keep much lower body weights as maintenance even if they're put through the exact same daily routine. Even if they're made to run the same distance, the neighbors' kids shuffle and plod, and mine jump around like jackrabbits on uppers.

AT, if it exists at all (other than "some people move less when they don't have to, and starving people move a LOT less"), has a VERY mild effect and can't account for what she's describing. Not even close.

Sadly, I'm a shuffler. My FitBit tells me so. I have to exercise a ton just to break out of sedentary!

I based my recommendation that she has ben eating at 1200, or below, for six years...

I am assuming that she is using a food scale for all solids, logging everything, and using correct DB entries, which she is adamant that she is.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

so anyone recommending a recomp is a "musclehead"??

As OP is probably new to lifting, she would probably benefit from a heavy lifting program with some nice newbie gains and eating at, or below, maintenance.

I am not sure why you would knock that.
  • schandler1011
    schandler1011 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11" so I feel your pain there! I was stuck for a long time. I was at 134 pounds and now I'm at 118. I'd like to see 110 again!! Add me, maybe we can help eachother stay accountable! :)
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    She's medically overweight. She doesn't need to stay the same weight. She needs to lose weight.

You're STILL 3" taller than the OP. That's like me telling a woman at 5'9" that she's too fat to recomp at 150lbs because I'm too fat at 140.

Please do not put words in my mouth. I have told the OP several times to set her goal to .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. she's overweight.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

OP - it sounds like you have been crash dieting for a long time. I would suggest a diet break and eat at maintenance level for about two months, and then slowly cut back down to a deficit.

Also, if you have not been eating back exercise calories then you have been netting below 1200 calories for a long time, and you are probably suffering from adaptive thermogenesis....

Really? Hmm.. I always tried to stay away from "dieting" and just try and maintain healthy eating habits.

Adaptive Thermogenesis? going to have to look that up.

it is when you eat an insanely low number of calories over a prolonged time and your metabolism slows down to account for the lower calorie intake. Please note this is NOT starvation mode.

When this happens it can reset your maintenance and deficit intake to a lower number. when this happens it is recommended the one take a diet break and slowly increase calories to maintenance, and then stay there for x amount of time and then slowly cut back down.

How long and by how much? Does it depend on my height and weight?

most recommend about a month or two ....not really dependent on height/weight.

Most of the studies an adaptive thermogenesis are REALLY flawed even when the data is accurate.

Here's a favorite:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3173112

ZERO differences in BMR. Differences in metabolism from activity. Okay. Soooo...

Well, then we find out that people who are/were obese burn something like 200-400 calories less per day BECAUSE THEY MOVE LESS when their weights are reduced, while "naturally lean people" maintain the burn advantage even when they put on weight from a high-calorie diet, even when leading the same lifestyle on paper. Naturally lean people tend to be fidgeters, pacers, walkers, bouncers.

Completely makes up for the apparent differences.

Might be more real differences with true starvation, but according to her, she's been on a LCD, not a VLCD. So she hasn't been in the danger zone.

I can see the same things at play between my kids and the neighbors' overweight kids. My kids turn TV watching into a cardio session. Neighbors' kids spend most of a neighborhood pick-up basketball game walking or standingg. Feed them the same foods, and my kids will keep much lower body weights as maintenance even if they're put through the exact same daily routine. Even if they're made to run the same distance, the neighbors' kids shuffle and plod, and mine jump around like jackrabbits on uppers.

AT, if it exists at all (other than "some people move less when they don't have to, and starving people move a LOT less"), has a VERY mild effect and can't account for what she's describing. Not even close.

Sadly, I'm a shuffler. My FitBit tells me so. I have to exercise a ton just to break out of sedentary!

I based my recommendation that she has ben eating at 1200, or below, for six years...

I am assuming that she is using a food scale for all solids, logging everything, and using correct DB entries, which she is adamant that she is.

To be fair, the 1200 calorie floor is for an average sized woman. She is half an inch taller than the medical definition of a dwarf (no offense OP!). It is likely that her caloric needs are going to be drastically different than most women.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    OP has a Fitbit activity tracker, which calculates her TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the number of calories necessary to maintain her current weight. She can safely eat 250 calories less than her Fitbit burn for every 25 lbs. she's overweight.
  • leeyuhsee
    leeyuhsee Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Tu parles l'anglais très bien! Je viens de passer une année en France enseignant l'anglais, et j'ai trouvé que le plûpart (au moins, où j'étais en France) était nulle en anglais. Je sais que je fais beaucoup de fautes en français, et je suis reconnaissante quand quelqu'un m'aide.
    Bon courage!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    edited July 2015
    Options

so anyone recommending a recomp is a "musclehead"??

As OP is probably new to lifting, she would probably benefit from a heavy lifting program with some nice newbie gains and eating at, or below, maintenance.

I am not sure why you would knock that.

Anyone who would suggest a woman who is overweight according to BMI at her height shouldn't lose weight is generally a guy who loves lifting and thinks that everyone else should lift and GROSSLY overestimates what it does to smaller women.

I'm totally not against lifting. I love lifting when my joints can handle it. But if she chooses to lift, she needs to still eat a deficit at her current weight.

She's probably mis-logging, but her BMR is under 1200 calories. So if she's sedentary, her TDEE is likely to be 1400 calories or so. You can mis-log 200 cals VERY easily.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

Please do not put words in my mouth. I have told the OP several times to set her goal to .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. she's overweight.

Recomp, period, means to eat maintenance and focus on changing muscle to fat. That's what *I* was talking about.

I'm all for doing lifting + deficit. That's fine. That's not what I was saying is unrealistic. Unrealistic is to just eat maintenance, pick up heavy stuff, and expect to get "toned" (yes, I know we hate that word here, but it does describe a look) at her height.

At mine? ABSOLUTELY. :)

The 10-cal-per-lb method means that you reach maintenance in 3 years after you start eating your goal weight, if you're that accurate at logging. (Or 250cal per 25lbs). Doing a minimum of 250cal does speed it up, but still.... There's no reason to have to wait 3 years to reach your goal weight, and people who are within a healthy weight range and don't have particularly low BF% can safely lose .5-2.5lb a week, depending on where they are within that range.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    OP,

I suggest you read the following to put your struggle in context:

muscleheads rule
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    OP,

I suggest you read the following to put your struggle in context:

muscleheads rule

Ha, I love what you called the URL. But a seriously great read, and definitely on point for the OP.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    OP,

I suggest you read the following to put your struggle in context: http://www.burnthefatblog.com/1-reason-for-slow-female-fat-loss.php

Rule #1 for female fat loss: Set a goal that’s realistic relative to your gender, body size and weight.
  • jojo8974
    jojo8974 Posts: 17 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    1st- .05-2lbs a week is normal and healthy progress. It's not sustainable to lose more. Most people that lose 10lbs a week are usually morbidly obese so their body is shocked by the workouts and healthy diet. Don't be surprised that you may plateau.
    2nd- 1200 calories may not be enough after all those workouts. Your body can actually retain fat because it feels starved.
    3rd- RELAX
    4th- Muscle weighs more than fat, measure yourself at the same time of day (preferably in the am before you eat).
    5th- bloating/water retention during your menstrual may cause weight gain.
    6th- download pacer or get a pedometer of some sort to measure activity.

Stay healthy, focus more on non-scale victories.