Coffee??

Options
I have a confession! I still use the plain ole white sugar to sweeten my coffee. I've tried honey, and doesn't sweeten for me. I know the calories , amongst others, are horrible for my diet. I just can't find any other way. Do I need to be using Raw honey for it to be sweet? What do you guys use to sweeten?

Thanks for any help :blush:

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I use sugar. Because there's nothing wrong with sugar.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I use sugar. Just log it!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    1 tsp of sugar is 15 calories. I can't even imagine honey in coffee, vomit
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I use sugar...

43 calories in 14gram of honey...vs 15 calories in 1 tsp of sugar...seems like honey is worse on the calories than sugar is...
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like the taste honey in coffee. Since I'm allergic to everything that has pollen where I live, I have other reasons for putting some local honey in stuff I drink, too.

BUT - I do find that you have to put more honey in than sugar for the same level of sweetness. If you're hoping for calorie-savings, sugar is probably going to give you the sweetest taste for the least calories.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I had a big "aha moment" when I first started tracking my calories and realized that I was drinking like 600 calories a day in double-doubles. Now I drink my coffee black. Problem solved!
  • mommarobb
    mommarobb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sugar in my coffee is one thing I cannot do without. Honey in coffee is disgusting. Sweetener changes the taste. Just make sure to log them. If you find that they are taking up to many of your calories, try to reduce the amount you put in
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Is artificial sweetener an option? It's what I use and if half the scare reports about it are true, I should have a third head by now. I drink a lot of coffee.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    nothing
    black like my heart
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    I had a big "aha moment" when I first started tracking my calories and realized that I was drinking like 600 calories a day in double-doubles. Now I drink my coffee black. Problem solved!

are you Canadian? Drinking Tim's? that's the only time I ever hear "double double"...

If you are remember they don't use an actual measuring spoon...and they use coffee cream...I've started ordering it black and adding my own when I get to work/home.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweetner... Since I'm only allotted 1200 calories a day, I need to save calories wherever I can... Plus I like the taste of artificial sweetners (I know I'm the minority on that)! And yes, I agree, honey in coffee? Gross! LOL! In tea, yes...coffee, no! ;)
  • DivineLotus
    DivineLotus Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    As long as you're measuring and logging it, it fine :)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I get the raw unrefined sugar cubes (La Perruche') for tea - good stuff!

I don't care for sugar in my coffee anymore, but imagine this would be darn tasty.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    are you Canadian? Drinking Tim's? that's the only time I ever hear "double double"...

Yep. I live in Britain now, but I still love my Timmies... I get my mom to send me bags of their ground coffee.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    dpaden25 wrote: »
    I have a confession! I still use the plain ole white sugar to sweeten my coffee. I've tried honey, and doesn't sweeten for me. I know the calories , amongst others, are horrible for my diet. I just can't find any other way. Do I need to be using Raw honey for it to be sweet? What do you guys use to sweeten?

Thanks for any help :blush:

1323200267001.gif?1323228380

In all seriousness, putting a little sugar in your coffee and consuming sugar in moderation isn't a big deal...drinking those sugary coffee drinks from coffee houses every day and then eating pie and having a Big Gulp...probably not the best idea.
  • dpaden25
    dpaden25 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Okay cool guys! I thought I was the only one still using sugar! Phew!
  • dpaden25
    dpaden25 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of honey either, but in some other threads, it's the way to go
  • cassiemorris85
    cassiemorris85 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I used to use splenda, 3-4 packets. I had to wean myself off splenda because after using it for so long I couldn't taste ANYTHING else in my coffee. I couldn't taste real sugar, I couldn't taste stevia, I couldn't taste anything at all. I knew stevia was better than splenda so I started mixing 2 packets of splenda with 2 packets stevia, then 1 packet splenda and 3 stevia, and then eventually 4 stevia. Now I am down to 3 stevia or on a day where I need more "sweet" in my day, 2 stevia and 1 splenda. I cut creamer from my coffee cold turkey. It was a super tough adjustment but now I am at a point where if I put creamer in my coffee then it actually makes my coffee taste worse. Sugar doesn't have a lot of calories, as mentioned above it's only 15 cals per teaspoon. It's what sugar is that's bad for you if you use it in excess. Sugar turns to fat. Now, if you aren't exceeding your daily allotment of sugar than I wouldn't worry about it. Most artificial sweeteners are going to be worse for you chemically than real sugar anyway. Stevia is still supposedly safe...but I bet in several years there will be someone saying that it isn't. Although, it truly does come from a leaf so I hope that isn't the case. Anyway, try mixing things up!!! Maybe a little stevia and a little real sugar? If you use sugar in your coffee, don't use it somewhere else in your day.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Sugar, honey, raw honey, whatever...just choose the one you prefer and log it. Sugar has fewer calories than honey, though because honey is sweeter than sugar, some people use less of it. I wouldn't trust that, though.
    Since I'm allergic to everything that has pollen where I live, I have other reasons for putting some local honey in stuff I drink, too.

I can totally understand how this belief became popular (it would seem to make sense, right?), but there's zero evidence that this is the case. Bees make honey from nectar, not pollen. Any flower pollen they happen to pick up is in trace amounts. But it's the pollen in non-flowering plants (grasses, trees and weeds) that causes allergies because those pollen particles are small and easily carried on the wind - unlike flowering plant pollen.

Sorry for the mini-lecture, lol. For some reason I haven't yet figured out, I have a lot of friends who are beekeepers - which is great, because even if honey doesn't affect allergies, it has lots of other lovely properties and I am very happy to have access to fresh local honey!

Funny because I've received confirmation of this idea from several ABAI-certified, degreed, published, and peer-reviewed allergist-immunologists. I think I'm going to keep doing it. Though admittedly, I might have mispoken when I said "pollen."