MFP is an EYE OPENER!

Options
MFP really opens your eyes to what you've been eating. Portion sizes are hard to believe - particularly with pasta. I think people are eating like 4 servings of pasta! I mostly eat quinoa or brown rice instead of pasta because it's so hard to eat that tiny portion. Anyone else feel that way?

Replies

• Sorchya
    Sorchya Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It is indeed! I also noticed the sodium levels in my food were outrageous. It gets easier though...I am finding I eat and want less food. And I have been mixing a ton of veggies with pasta to make a full meal without overload.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    That's why MFP has worked so well for me. Once I came to terms with what choices I was making, how many portions I was really eating, and how many calories were in those portions, I found it pretty easy to make healthier choices more often - without feeling I had resigned myself to an ascetic life of "eat this, not that".

I still make indulgent choices, but I put them in context with the other choices I make through the day, and the consequences of my actions.
  • sup3rb3ast
    sup3rb3ast Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I started eating more carefully in January and the portion sizes for rice were the biggest kick in the face. I was eating probably four or five servings per meal before I started weighing it. It is a bit horrible at first, but I find that I got used to eating smaller portions so that now anything more feels like too much. Hang in there, it gets easier!
  • caronLvaczy
    caronLvaczy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    yes it is, I have only been using this app for 3 days and I am so surprised at all I am learning about the way I ate and should eat.
  • ernestmartin3
    ernestmartin3 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like the app and it does make you stop and think about what you are eating and the size of the portions
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I go to the store now and shop the produce aisle. I don't buy ant packaged foods any more. I also look in other peoples carts and silently think "I can't believe I use to eat like that". MFP trained me on what a normal portion is instead of the all you can eat buffet.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I don't find pasta all that bad. Make sure you're measuring/weighing before you cook it.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Eye-opening, it definitely is. I've especially picked up a lot of tips to help me uncomplicate the process via all these "mean people" on the forums.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. Initially I just stopped eating pasta and rice . . . a serving was just a tease! Since then I have learned to work with a serving size, it is almost like the dessert of my meal.
  • hippytee
    hippytee Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I couldn't believe how much 3 cups of coffee added up to , used to drink approx 3x that a day