PCOS, Pregnant and Terrified of Gaining Weight

Options
In a recent study, researchers found that women without PCOS needed roughly 1868 calories per day whilst women with PCOS only needed around 1445 calories per day, and those with insulin resistance (like me) needed even less.

This means that women with PCOS do not need as many calories per day as the average women as metabolism is much slower in women with PCOS. It doesn’t seem very fair, does it? We don’t need as many calories as the average woman but we fight fierce cravings and tend to feel hungry all the time. What’s up with that?

I'm currently 6 weeks pregnant and my doctor wants me to eat 2000 calories a day. I will blow up like a freakin balloon eating like that! I gain weight when I eat more than 1000 calories a day (yes, this was medically recognized after I had weight loss surgery) I know some weight gain is inevitable during pregnancy but I don't want to gain an excessive amount!

Anyone have a realistic idea of what I should eat?

Replies

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Err I have PCOS and am currently losing weight eating 1500 calories a day. I maintain around 2000.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    First - congrats!

Second - Is there any way you can enlist the help of a licensed and degreed dietician who is familiar with some of these medical conditions? (Stressing: NOT A NUTRITIONIST. Those guys just have to take a two hour class and pass a test)

A dietician who knows about these conditions (or at least knows where to find credible, reliable information about them) will be able to help you manage the interplay of your calorie allotment and everything you have going on. There are a lot of people here with PCOS, a lot with insulin resistance, and a lot who have been pregnant, but the mix of all three may be rare, and even then, they will likely have had a different experience than you. You might get some good suggestions, but they might not be what's actually best for you in this context.

IMO - if it weren't for your other medical conditions, I'd say eat more, acknowledge that you're going to gain, and then lose after the baby's born, just so you can make sure you're getting the proper nutrition your baby needs. But without having a medical degree, I couldn't say that with absolute certainty.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    First, this is the study that you are talking about. Note the following:
    RESULT(S): Adjusted BMR was 1,868 +/- 41 kcal/day in the control group, 1,445.57 +/- 76 in all PCOS women, 1,590 +/- 130 in PCOS women without IR and 1,116 +/- 106 in PCOS women with IR. Adjusted BMR showed a statistically significant difference between women with PCOS and control subjects, with lowest values in the group of PCOS women with IR, even after adjusting all groups for age and BMI.

They are talking about BMR, not TDEE. Eating 2000 calories per day doesn't mean that you are eating 555 calories over your total caloric needs. It would mean that you are eating 555 calories more than needed for the average PCOS woman (in that study) to be alive and in a coma, doing nothing all day long.

Second, you have lost a lot of weight so I am guessing that you have a good idea of the number of calories needed to maintain that weight. Have you discussed your current calorie level with your doctor and did s/he base the recommendation of 2000 calories on that?
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    In a recent study, researchers found that women without PCOS needed roughly 1868 calories per day whilst women with PCOS only needed around 1445 calories per day, and those with insulin resistance (like me) needed even less.

This means that women with PCOS do not need as many calories per day as the average women as metabolism is much slower in women with PCOS. It doesn’t seem very fair, does it? We don’t need as many calories as the average woman but we fight fierce cravings and tend to feel hungry all the time. What’s up with that?

I'm currently 6 weeks pregnant and my doctor wants me to eat 2000 calories a day. I will blow up like a freakin balloon eating like that! I gain weight when I eat more than 1000 calories a day (yes, this was medically recognized after I had weight loss surgery) I know some weight gain is inevitable during pregnancy but I don't want to gain an excessive amount!

I have PCOS. I've had 3 babies. It can be really hard to lose, but the cleaner my diet is and the more I work-out and eliminate stress, the more my symptoms disappear and I can lose with more ease. You can reverse many, if not all of your symptoms.
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My friend is a midwife and she says you only need to increase calories by 200 a day, and only for the last 3 months of pregnancy. Those are the current guidelines in the UK. The first 6 months you should eat at maintenance.

This advice is of course aimed at women who don't have PCOS or IR. Speak to your doctor about your concerns and move forward from there.

Oh - and congrats! :)
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i would listen to your dr. s/he knows best about your particular situation. i have been pregnant more times than i care to count, and i gained alot of weight each time, but it is worth it. your baby needs calories to grow. this is the one time in life where you really needn't worry about caloric intake. i'm not saying to eat donuts all day, but eating a healthy 2000 calories per day will feed you and your baby well. congrats, by the way!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options

First, the list above is nonsense.

Second, you need to increase caloric take ON AVERAGE 20 calories a day in the first trimester, 160 calories a day in the second, and 360 the third above your maintenance, according to the WHO. This isn't a flat number. It's lower at the beginning of the trimester and higher at the end.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    Also, your doctor is clueless to declare that everyone needs the same amount of calories at ANY time in their lives. People have different heights, weights, and activity levels.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    You definitely want to make sure the baby is getting enough nutrition. However the 2000 cal sounds like a very standard number and your circumstances are not standard.

Is this your Obgyn or your family doctor who recommends this amount? (or are they the same person). See if you can get in with a doctor who specializes in or at the very least is up to date on PCOS. No doctor knows everything about everything. They may be able to advice you better and also explain why you need to do something and what the consequences will be. (weight gain/babies health/your health).

Gaining during pregnancy is normal (20-40 or so pounds). But gaining an excessive amount can have it's own health problems besides having to lose it later.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    24-30 is ideal according to the world health organization for non-overweight women. Their recommendations line up better with actual studies than the CDC's.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Also, your doctor is clueless to declare that everyone needs the same amount of calories at ANY time in their lives. People have different heights, weights, and activity levels.

Yeah, that doesn't make a lot of sense. There is a lot of new information out about how women should be eating in pregnancy--new guidelines suggest that overweight women should maintain weight and can even continue to lose while pregnant.

You may not need ANY extra calories this early in your pregnancy.

A couple of articles to check out...they might not quite apply to your situation, but they could give some additional information:

opb.org/radio/programs/thinkoutloud/segment/study-shows-overweight-pregnant-women-can-safely-lose-weight/

nytimes.com/2015/03/29/opinion/sunday/pregnant-obese-and-in-danger.html?_r=0
  • WeddedBliss1992
    Options
    after giving advice myself, i just realized this is a very wrong place to ask about pregnancy nutrition. i used to be a doula, breastfeeding consultant, childbirth educator and midwife in training. ASK A DR. NOT MFP.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't see where her doctor said that all pregnant women should eat 2000 calories per day. She said that her doctor wanted her eating 2000 calories. We have no idea how her doctor came up with that number and considering the OP's complete misstatement of the PCOS BMR study, I'm a bit leery of jumping to the conclusion that the OP really asked him/her for details on the number.
  • azulvioleta6
    edited July 2015
    Options
    after giving advice myself, i just realized this is a very wrong place to ask about pregnancy nutrition. i used to be a doula, breastfeeding consultant, childbirth educator and midwife in training. ASK A DR. NOT MFP.

Sure, but ask a doctor who knows what s/he is talking about. In the OPs situation, I would be looking for a better physician.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    i would listen to your dr. s/he knows best about your particular situation. i have been pregnant more times than i care to count, and i gained alot of weight each time, but it is worth it. your baby needs calories to grow. this is the one time in life where you really needn't worry about caloric intake. i'm not saying to eat donuts all day, but eating a healthy 2000 calories per day will feed you and your baby well. congrats, by the way!

I agree with this. I wouldn't say go crazy with eating anything/everything/eating for 2, but cutting calories and dieting doesn't seem like a good idea when pregnant. I'd rather a healthy, happy pregnancy = healthy baby than risk anything else even if it means gaining a few extra pounds.

Besides, eating whatever/whenever without regard to loosing weight was the best part of being pregnant for me :) It's the only time I was happy with being overweight!

You have the rest of your life to diet and lose weight.

• WeddedBliss1992
    Options

Sure, but ask a doctor who knows what s/he is talking about. In the OPs situation, I would be looked for a better physician.

what in the OP says that the dr's advice is wrong or off?
  • azulvioleta6
    Options

Sure, but ask a doctor who knows what s/he is talking about. In the OPs situation, I would be looked for a better physician.

what in the OP says that the dr's advice is wrong or off?

The fact that it doesn't match the newer research in this area.

Blindly acquiescing to a doctor's opinion is ridiculous. Doctors are human and they make mistakes. Some are much better informed than others. Some stay up-to-date, others do not.

If what a doctor is telling you to do doesn't make sense, look for a better doctor.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    Options
    newer research doesn't necessarily equal better. my last OB was over 70 years old and had been delivering babies since he was in his 20's. he even used a fetascope instead of a modern electronic version to listen to baby's heartbeat. just because something is new doesn't mean it is better. and if the OP goes into the dr's office and gives the dr every single bit of information she has about herself, then that is just all the more the dr should be trusted. i didn't read anything in the OP that said what the dr was advising "didn't make sense." i think what makes even less sense is coming onto a public forum and listening to a bunch of strangers when it comes to the health of your unborn child.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I agree with you in general but why people are taking exception to her doctor is because he/she wants the OP to double her calories:
    my doctor wants me to eat 2000 calories a day. I will blow up like a freakin balloon eating like that! I gain weight when I eat more than 1000 calories a day (yes, this was medically recognized after I had weight loss surgery)
  • WeddedBliss1992
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I agree with you in general but why people are taking exception to her doctor is because he/she wants the OP to double her calories:
    my doctor wants me to eat 2000 calories a day. I will blow up like a freakin balloon eating like that! I gain weight when I eat more than 1000 calories a day (yes, this was medically recognized after I had weight loss surgery)

that is why i was wondering if she told dr EVERYTHING? does dr know about weight loss surgery? does dr know that she can't comfortably eat more than 1000 cal/day? giving the dr information is more than half the battle in finding a good dr.