Walking or jogging?

Options
2»

Replies

• BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I lost ALL of my weight by eating at a deficit.
    As for running, I usually jog until I feel like walking. Which is normally less than two miles down the road. Then I switch to fast walking mixed in with some short burst intervals of sprinting/walking (30 seconds sprinting, 30 seconds walking for five sets, walk some more, do another interval set, etc). Running and walking are both good exercises for fitness, but they generally won't help one iota if you are not eating at a deficit.
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm not even sure I CAN walk at 3.5. When I bumped the treadmill up to 3 mph I was walking just about as fast as I could. 3.5 might be running for me. No way that's an energy conserving speed for me!
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You will burn more calories in a shorter distance if you jog but walking briskly will burn many calories as well with a lot less stress on your knees. Neither will "help" you lose weight unless you are eating less calories than you need.
  • CaptBligh001
    CaptBligh001 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow I don't believe the posts I'm reading here, the amount of disinformation and subjective opinion is staggering. Muscles loss from too much walking Please !!!!

I'm actually headed out the door for a 4 hour walk, the benefits of walking/jogging are far to numerous for me to mention right now, other then I lost close to 95 pounds walking, One of the benefits I will mention is the increase in metabolic rate your body will experience going from a sedentary life style to one that includes at least an hour of walking each day. This increase in metabolic rate will not only increase your body's caloric requirement from the activity but also increase it do to an increase in your basal metabolic rate increase. A person who combines at least an hour of low to medium intensity cardio with a sensible diet will lose more weight and be more successful at maintaining their weight then someone who merely reduces caloric intake to lose weight, then there is away's the effects it will have on your cardio vascular system, Before I started walking my blood pressure was regularly 160/90's with a resting heart rate in the 80's today my Blood pressure is 114/62 with a resting heart rate of 48, the effect on my blood pressure and heart rate alone regardless of te weight loss was enough to justify walking every day..

By the way the first thing I do every morning as I wait for my coffee is 100-150 push-ups then I go for a 3-10 mile walk using a heart rate monitor to maintain a therapeutic heart rate when I get home I do 50 or so crunch's and some stretching.. By the way Muscle atrophy is not nearly as common in weight loss as some people would like you to believe on the other hand a lack of activity or a sedentary life style IS the most common cause of Muscle atrophy..

Anyhow I need to get walking before it gets too hot outside, I'll add to this post when I get back..
  • cleanbulk_hatersgfy
    cleanbulk_hatersgfy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I lost ALL of my weight by eating at a deficit.
    Running and walking are both good exercises for fitness, but they generally won't help one iota if you are not eating at a deficit.

This.

• cattitude123
    cattitude123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight reducing portion size and calories within my mfp goals, walking and resistance training, find what you like and it will work for you.
  • MegaFey
    MegaFey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey :) I have been walking 5 miles a day, 6 days a week for about 3 weeks now and eating a clean diet. I already lost 6 pounds :)
  • CaptBligh001
    CaptBligh001 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just got back from a 7.61 mile Walk/Jog.. I violated my cardinal rule and got on the computer this morning instead of drinking my tea on the patio and then heading out for my walk. Consequentially before I knew it I had wasted over an hour and half reading emails and forum posts. Computers and the Internet have got to be one of the leading factors in our nations obesity epidemic.

I was over an hour and a half late heading out for my walk this morning, the sun was already up and it was getting warm. So what should have been a 10 mile trek had to be cut short because it was starting to get hot. The only good news is that getting back so late I finally met the neighbor down the street. Turned out I've actually see her many times on my walks, I just didn't realize she lived in the house at the end of the block. WOW let me tell you about this woman, two words Rocking HOT !! she epitomizes the definition of the term "toned athletic body". I just found out that she jog's as far as I walk, she said she jogged 7.5 miles today. I know she does this a lot because we cross paths several times every time I go out.

Anyhow like I said computers and the Internet have got to be one of the leading factors in our nations obesity epidemic. I got banned from a weight loss forum a while back for a comment related to just this. I was responding to a fitness denialist claims that a caloric deficit was all you needed to lose wight and that running/jogging/walking or biking were unnecessary and even detrimental and that she recommended against including any of these activity's in your weight loss plan. I've learned that more often than not this claim is propagated mainly by fatties who are to lazy to get off their computer..

She finally resorted to the argument that like most people she just doesn't have the time to go on 5 mile walks. I then pointed out that she obviously has enough time to maintain a Facebook page a huge blog and post over 15,000 comments to the forum so it's obviously not an issue with not having the time but rather a lack of skill in time management. Or more likely than not simply being to lazy to get off the computer and move a bit.

The bottom line is weight loss is not simply a journey to an end goal it's a life style change. That's why people who incorporate a maintainable cardio fitness routine into their weight loss program are more successful at not only losing weight but keeping it off. People who rely solely on a caloric deficit diet with no cardio are the least successful and the most likely to regain all their loss's
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Wow I don't believe the posts I'm reading here, the amount of disinformation and subjective opinion is staggering. Muscles loss from too much walking Please !!!!

I'm actually headed out the door for a 4 hour walk, the benefits of walking/jogging are far to numerous for me to mention right now, other then I lost close to 95 pounds walking, One of the benefits I will mention is the increase in metabolic rate your body will experience going from a sedentary life style to one that includes at least an hour of walking each day. This increase in metabolic rate will not only increase your body's caloric requirement from the activity but also increase it do to an increase in your basal metabolic rate increase. A person who combines at least an hour of low to medium intensity cardio with a sensible diet will lose more weight and be more successful at maintaining their weight then someone who merely reduces caloric intake to lose weight, then there is away's the effects it will have on your cardio vascular system, Before I started walking my blood pressure was regularly 160/90's with a resting heart rate in the 80's today my Blood pressure is 114/62 with a resting heart rate of 48, the effect on my blood pressure and heart rate alone regardless of te weight loss was enough to justify walking every day..

By the way the first thing I do every morning as I wait for my coffee is 100-150 push-ups then I go for a 3-10 mile walk using a heart rate monitor to maintain a therapeutic heart rate when I get home I do 50 or so crunch's and some stretching.. By the way Muscle atrophy is not nearly as common in weight loss as some people would like you to believe on the other hand a lack of activity or a sedentary life style IS the most common cause of Muscle atrophy..

Anyhow I need to get walking before it gets too hot outside, I'll add to this post when I get back..

It's not that walking causes muscle loss - but it does absolutely nothing to help prevent what is the average 20% of the weight loss being muscle mass in a diet. And it's not atrophy, it's actual loss.
    Body tears down some muscle everyday and builds it back up as part of normal processes. If eating in enough of a deficit without enough protein, the least used doesn't get built back up. Muscle loss.

As far as walking kicking up your metabolism - if you mean daily burn as misapplied use of the term metabolism - sure.
    If you mean metabolism for what it means - your BMR or RMR - uh no, walking ain't going to do that for you except at the very start of going from a couch lifestyle - where it's a hard workout for you. But in a couple weeks - it's not that same type of hard workout.

The other benefits sure.

But - as you lose weight - you better make that walk harder - because if you don't, you are actually decreasing fitness level.

Huh?

If you walk 4 mph at 170 lbs - you are creating certain load on your body and heart. It improves to match the load required.

If you lose 20-30 lbs and still walk 4 mph - you are creating less of a load now on body and heart. You will actually lose fitness if you don't figure out a way to go faster, or hills, or carry weight, or something.

Good think you include the resistance training, very needed outside of walking.
  • 2ledbetter
    2ledbetter Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Just move and eat less and you will lose weight. Wether you walk or jog would depend on your fitness and weight level. If your significantly overweight it might not be best to start with jogging but as your fitness level goes up then you can make the switch.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!