Dukan diet

Options

Replies

• mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I really clicked on this thread because I thought it was a doughnut diet. I was hoping. :)
    si8snt3k1f9h.jpg
    d.jpg 34.7K
  • susanna9992015
    susanna9992015 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Geez.... Like I said what support. What's it like to go through life being a negative nelly????

Anyway I'm motivated and excited won't let bunch Curmudgeons get me down

Time for my awesome Pilates class and 6 mile walk
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Lconsla wrote: »
    has anyone tried the Dukan diet? Any thoughts on it?

I have not tried this particular diet, but I wouldn't want to either. Here is their premise:
    The theory: Counting calories isn’t the key to weight loss. Protein is. It’s a weight-loss powerhouse – it’s filling, takes time and work to digest, and has very few calories for each gram of food compared to carb-heavy foods. When protein supplies the majority of a diet, and fats and carbs are all but squeezed out, fast weight loss ensues. (Limiting carbs, the body’s preferred energy source, forces the body to turn to an alternative fuel – stored fat.) That’s motivation enough for dieters to follow a strict plan that rewards the faithful by slowly adding back the bread, cheese, and fruit they so dearly missed

I suggest staying away from diets that make grand promises and that promotes that you do not have to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight.

Just eat what you like in moderation and meet your calorie goals to lose weight. That's it. Period. :)

In regards to their "theory:" carbs and protein are both 4 calories per gram of food. SO their statement of "protein . . . has very few calories for each gram of food compared to carb-heavy foods" is kind of a lie. Yeah, you can eat fewer calories because protein is more dense, but it isn't lower calorie gram for gram when compared to carbs.

OP, don't do fad diets. They aren't sustainable in the long term.

Put your stats in MFP, pick a reasonable weight loss/week goal, and eat to the calorie goal MFP gives you while being mindful of your macros. You can quite literally eat whatever you want and lose weight as long as you're in a calorie deficit. It isn't a wise idea to eat nothing but pop-tarts, but you could. That's why I say eat to your calorie goal while being mindful of your macros (carbs, fat, and protein).
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Geez.... Like I said what support. What's it like to go through life being a negative nelly????

So, anything but unconditional approval and agreement with you is unsupportive. Check.

We'll look forward to your "Why aren't I losing?" thread in a few weeks. Good luck.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

Realism and science = negativity. Got it.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

there is being supportive and there is being "yes" people. we are not the latter
    this diet is a diet and diets don't work, because once you stop you go back to your old behaviors. also restrictive diets lead to cheating binges. it also does not teach you how to be healthier.

if diets worked, we'd all be the weight we wish we were
  • ca22h
    ca22h Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

there is being supportive and there is being "yes" people. we are not the latter
    this diet is a diet and diets don't work, because once you stop you go back to your old behaviors. also restrictive diets lead to cheating binges. it also does not teach you how to be healthier.

if diets worked, we'd all be the weight we wish we were

But the Dukan isn't an unhealthy diet to follow and actually the principle is based on life long alteration of your eating habits and is the complete opposite to a fad
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
  • oldmanrivererik
    oldmanrivererik Posts: 28 Member
    Options

Ive been on it since Sept 10 and have lost 36 pounds. Its hard at first but it gets easier. If you follow it through it should train you to live differently. If I go back to eating a lot of sweets and crap then yes I'll gain the weight back. But it does indeed work

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    21263d1305120619t-necro-thread-necro.jpg
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Ive been on it since Sept 10 and have lost 36 pounds. Its hard at first but it gets easier. If you follow it through it should train you to live differently. If I go back to eating a lot of sweets and crap then yes I'll gain the weight back. But it does indeed work

Dude ..come back in 6 months and tell us whether it does indeed work
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Never tried it, looks overly complex with too many rules. Basically low carb with a lot of added stuff that doesn't do much. Compliance would be a pain in the hindquarters.

If you want to do low carb, there's a lot of resources for that with far less complexity. But no matter which way you go, figure out your deficit and eat to that. That's what loses the weight.

Still applies.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    "The claim: You’ll lose up to 10 pounds within the first week, and continue at a clip of two to four pounds a week until you reach your goal weight – all while eating as much as you want (of the approved foods, of course). If you follow the rules to the letter, you’ll never regain"
    (http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/dukan-diet)

Dumb diet is dumb.

ETA: site reference

Still applies as well
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Isn't this diet the one which tied for dead last in US News?!? I think it tied with Paleo....IDK.
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Isn't this diet the one which tied for dead last in US News?!? I think it tied with Paleo....IDK.

Nah, there's always worse diets like the Master Cleanse and the Military Diet.

• _Terrapin_
    edited October 2015
    Options

Is the Master Cleanse from Thunderdome and is it a requirement to watch the film?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    0tvz12z7cgtx.jpeg

Is the Master Cleanse from Thunderdome and is it a requirement to watch the film?

• _Terrapin_
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    0tvz12z7cgtx.jpeg

Honestly, her acting hurt my head. If I have to watch this for the diet than no bueno.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    0tvz12z7cgtx.jpeg

Honestly, her acting hurt my head. If I have to watch this for the diet than no bueno.

I don't remember that part but I do remember is wasn't very good. MadMax was better, right?
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Yes. Thunder dome had the giant and the little dude. 'Master and Blaster'- - -"look at his face" is the only line I can remember.