Indoor Bike Trainer Stand

Options
Any recommendations on an indoor bike trainer stand? I've been kicking around getting one for my road bike but I would love to hear what others have and your experience with them. I'd much rather be outside riding my bike but unfortunately when hubby is at work that's not possible with my kids early in the morning. Thanks!

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    cycleops.
    I was able to snag a used one from CL for half the price. I love it
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I had one for a while, and it's good for what it does; however, it wasn't long before I found it wasn't challenging enough - I couldn't really stand and couldn't reach enough resistance. After a while we opted for a spinning bike. It takes more space than just the trainer, but I don't have to set it up every time and I get so much more out of it... As for the kids... I try to commute only by bike in the summer, kids in a trailer and all. I get lots of exercise that way without having to set aside time for "working out".
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I picked up a Kurt Kinetic Road machine several years ago and have never regretted it. It's one of the fluid trainers, the harder you pedal the more resistance you get. I have mine in the garage, in winter it gets down below -25C in there (it's not heated) and the trainer still functions flawlessly.....
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Is noise a concern for you? Do you need it to work with training apps/programs?
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I am still in the beginning stages of biking/cycling. I have a Cannondale Adventure 2 bike, so nothing major. I purchased a magnetic resistance trainer from Amazon for 64.99 for the winter months. It is basic, but gets the job done for me. It is not terribly loud and I am able to watch TV while riding. I also got a Cateye Velo computer to track my riding while stationary.

Trainers can be super expensive or relatively reasonable. It all depends on what your preferences are.
  • njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Is noise a concern for you? Do you need it to work with training apps/programs?

Noise is not really a concern for me. I would be using it in my basement away from where everybody normally is. And I don't need it to work with any apps or anything. I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive but that's not a piece of crap.

• autodominio
    autodominio Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I bought what must be a former model of this:
    https://www.cycleops.com/product/fluid2

It's a good trainer. There are less expensive, noisier and lesser quality trainers out there.
    Mine was around $300. And I couldn't afford it but comparing it with a gym I just figure that if it lasted me two years the cost to have/use it would be around $12.50 a month.
    I like it because it's relatively quiet and I can watch TV while riding.
    Keep in mind that you will probably need a stand for the front tire, they sell this or you can use books to raise the front tire.
    The rear tire tends to go, burn out a whole lot faster than if you're putting on those miles on the road. They also sell a special tire for the trainer so you don't wear your regular tires.
    They will also try to sell you a rubber pad to protect the floor. This is not a concern for me other than the tire sheds rubber dust and if it isn't for a pad, a beach towel in my case, the dust gets in the carpet. This protects against sweat as well. Rarely a problem for me but then again the beach towel works well.
    Lastly I like this trainer because it folds and you can store it away or easily carry it. I bring mine to work sometimes.
    You'll a special tire bolt to attach the wheel to the trainer. I think it comes with the trainer. If not they'll sell you one.
    I hope this helps.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Kurt Kinetic Road Machine, or the Rock-n-Roll (which I have). Love it. Great trainer. Guaranteed you wont overpower it. I have put well over 1000 watts into mine in short bursts and it definitely had more resistance left in it.
  • sheltol
    sheltol Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Kurt Kinetic is highly recommended but I would go with cyclops fluid or even most generic fluid trainers to get you by.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I too would recommend the Cyclops. I prefer my Kurt but I also have a Cyclops that is really nice.