too much protein?

Options
I know one of the macros that MFP tracks is protein and I always seem to go over on that- not necessarily by a lot though. Is that bad? Is there such a thing as too much protein?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Is there such a thing? Yes.

Is going over MFP's recommended minimums by "not necessarily a lot" too much? Doubtful.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    There's such a thing as too much anything. That's what "too much" means. If you don't have a medical condition, it's unlikely you could eat too much protein without a lot of dedication to the task.
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    okay, awesome. thank you guys. i mean i know they set a limit for a reason but I've never heard of someone eating too much protein before so i wasn't sure if i should really try to limit this or not.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    It's not a limit, it's a goal.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a health condition eating a lot of protein during a diet is a good thing. It helps you to maintain your muscle mass. As Tex said its a goal to reach for. There's no problem going over it they just don't want you to go under it.
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    ahh, okay. i guess i looked at those as limits. thank you for your help guys :)
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    MFP's protein limits seem to be way short of what I've read in other reputable sources.
  • lalainap19
    lalainap19 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Yes I once took in too much protein and had very big problems going to the potty :# no judgment.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    lalainap19 wrote: »
    Yes I once took in too much protein and had very big problems going to the potty :# no judgment.

lol... you can mitigate those effects though with more fiber and water, I think. :)
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Just edit your MFP goals to reflect the amount of protein you eat if it makes ya feel better. I need to eat MORE protein.
  • R_K_K
    R_K_K Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I dunno what MFP is thinking because my goals say I need a lot of carbs, fats and less proteins :/ and I need to lose weight! I'm just readjusting it so that proteins are a little higher and fats and carbs a little lower. I'm not going completely cold turkey yet :P