kind of bummed

OK so at the beginning of the year I started my diet and I was at 171, now that I have reached my goal and have continued to lose weight at 133 everybody at work keeps telling me how great I look. you would think that this would make me happy but honestly it kind of hurts my feelings thinking that I looked so bad before. does anybody else feel the way I do when they hear "oh wOw you look so great now"?

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Did you lose weight because you didn't like the way you looked - among other reasons?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    I generally accept well-meant compliments for what they are
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 222 Member
    Assume good intent and go on with your day.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Sommer529 wrote: »
    OK so at the beginning of the year I started my diet and I was at 171, now that I have reached my goal and have continued to lose weight at 133 everybody at work keeps telling me how great I look. you would think that this would make me happy but honestly it kind of hurts my feelings thinking that I looked so bad before. does anybody else feel the way I do when they hear "oh wOw you look so great now"?
    It's a bit of a no-win situation for anyone to pay someone who's lost weight a compliment. We tend to fill in the gaps "You look so great" they say. We hear "...because you were such a fat pig before!" But what they really mean is "You look great!" Try to take the compliment graciously and for all it is - a nice compliment. Learn to say "Thanks! I feel great!"
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Nope I don't OP. The folks I care about know why I am doing this. They might not understand it and I don't care enough to get them to understand why.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    You might want to talk to a professional about your viewpoint.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    Assume good intent and go on with your day.

^this. It's just makes for a better day to assume good intentions until a person expressly proves otherwise.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    So you have decided to be miserable about a situation that no longer exists? That makes sense.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    1) No, I don't feel that way. 2) Congrats on your success.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Nobody is saying you looked bad then, they're saying you look great now. Two completely different things that YOU are conflating. Enjoy your success and take the compliments for what they are meant to be, compliments! :)