I need a weight lifting/training routine?

Options
Hey everyone, I go to the gym everyday and want to do weight training/lifting alongside cardio because I know it's good for burning fat. The problem is that I don't really know what routine i'm supposed to follow.

Can you guys tell me about their workouts or give me advice on how to develop my own plan so that when I go to the gym i'm not just lifting random weights or over-working my muscles, etc.

Thank you!

----
About me: i'm a 5"9 female, trying to lose 100 pounds and just began my journey two weeks ago....i'm at an intermediate level with my body strength but I just don't know how to put it to use!

Replies

• Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It's hard to advise someone without an idea of what their goals are and where they're at.

One place you might want to check is Nerd Fitness. They have a great community that discusses all different types of training routines, from bodyweight routines to parcour.

You might also want to check out the New Rules of Lifting series, the For Women book in particular. It's a good resource that provides advice on both training and nutrition.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck with your new program. :smile:
  • tubzzy77
    tubzzy77 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda digging the Stronglifts 5x5. Since its super short and super easy.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Strong Lifts 5x5 and there's a group here for women doing it.

Other popular series are Starting Strength and New Rules Of Lift For Women (NROLW).
  • mwiechel
    mwiechel Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am LOVING ChaLEAN Extreme! Chalene Johnson, the trainer, is so positive and encouraging. I am 30 days in and already feel stronger and am noticing a change in the way my clothes fit.
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Strong Lifts 5x5 and there's a group here for women doing it.

Other popular series are Starting Strength and New Rules Of Lift For Women (NROLW).

x3 on the Stronglifts. Just starting week 3. It is: EASY to learn, EASY to follow, and starts out EASY. Then it just gets a little harder every week. Lots of support here and in other places on the web. And it seems to work. And it's FREE.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you want to build your own, follow a few important rules:

1. You get your biggest bang for your buck doing compound lifts. Squats, deadlifts, lat pulldowns, rows, bench press, and maybe one or two others.

2. Start light and learn good form. You can do sets with high reps while you're learning.

3. Once you have your form down, add weight. Progressing to heavier and heavier weights is the key to strength training. Have a plan or schedule for adding weight, and keep adding every workout or every week (or whatever schedule you use) until you can only do 5-8 reps per set.

4. Starting a strength program should be hard. When the weights get heavy, you may need to cut back on other exercise for a while to give yourself time to recover. Eat enough, get enough rest.

Stronglifts, NROL4W, Starting Strength all do these things. Lots of others, too, but you can't go wrong with any of those three. Be sure to take your measurements before you start, because your water retention will make your scale bounce around.

But most of all, have fun!