Meal replacement shakes

Options
can anyone suggest a meal replacement shake for weigh loss? Also has anyone heard of shake18?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    There's no reason to replace a meal with a shake unless you like that sort of thing. Replacing a meal with a shake is only effective if you eat less calories as a result. Really, unless you're planning to replace a meal with a shake for the rest of your life, doing it for weight loss doesn't teach you how to maintain your goal weight. The only thing it teaches you is to buy someone's diet product when you want to lose weight.

One thing I say to anyone looking to lose weight: You shouldn't spend money to lose weight. In fact, since losing weight involves eating less, it should save you money.

Log what you're eating, eat less calories than you burn and you'll lose weight while still eating the foods you normally eat. You'll just be eating less of them.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i haven't heard of that one. i used to drink pure protein when i was a weight lifter. i would have one after working-out instead of lunch. they were very filling, high protein and low sugar/carbs. :smile:
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    If you plan on keeping the weight off, I'd suggest learning and practicing overall healthy eating habits rather than rely on a quick "weight loss" shake (unless, of course, you plan on drinking them for life).
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    If you plan on keeping the weight off, I'd suggest learning and practicing overall healthy eating habits rather than rely on a quick "weight loss" shake (unless, of course, you plan on drinking them for life).

^^ this ^^ unless you are using them for extra protein after working-out, etc....which i just noticed in your OP that you said specifically for losing weight.
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I use the SlimFast shakes occasionally, but not as part of the SlimFast "plan" - drinking them twice a day every day would be ridiculous. Sometimes when I work out over my lunch break, I'll grab one to take back to my desk. It's easy to keep track of the calories if I don't have time to weigh out food, and it has protein, iron, and B-vitamin supplements, which are important since I'm vegetarian. I agree that you should probably not use them on a regular basis, as it's more long-term effective to learn how to prep a nutritious low-calorie meal. However, for certain circumstances I think they can be helpful.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I drink Ideal Shake. They have chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. I usually put them in 8oz of milk. They have somewhat of a powder consistency and you need to make sure you shake them up really well (they come with a free blender bottle if you buy a multi-pack!) but I love them! I sometimes make full smoothies out of them (chocolate shake mix, milk, real strawberries or a banana!)

For all the nay-sayers out there that will say "Oh, just eat a normal meal and plan, blah blah blah" this is a way of working with what calories I have. I drink two shakes a day (one for breakfast and one for lunch) so that I can have a big dinner, which works better for me. When I am no longer losing weight (and therefore have more calories available every day) I can eat a real breakfast and lunch.

Also, seriously, if you buy the shake mix in bulk (I buy 4 cans at a time) it works out to about $0.50-$0.75/meal. So price isn't a big deal.

Hope this helps! OP, do what works for you!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Did not read all the comments so I am sure it has been said. There really is no need to replace meals with a shake. Generally eating at a calorie deficit and establishing a good relationship with food is the only way to go for the long haul.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    YalithKBK wrote: »
    When I am no longer losing weight (and therefore have more calories available every day) I can eat a real breakfast and lunch.

You forgot to add "and put all the weight back on".
  • branflakes1980
    Options
    When I am no longer losing weight (and therefore have more calories available every day) I can eat a real breakfast and lunch.

Yep
    you-dont-say.gif
  • SueInAz
    edited July 2015
    Options

Yep
    you-dont-say.gif

Given that it was implied that this was a cycle of "shakes while I'm losing weight and regular food when I'm not"... agreed.
  • branflakes1980
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

Yep
    you-dont-say.gif

Given that it was implied that this was a cycle of "shakes while I'm losing weight and regular food when I'm not"... agreed.

So you are losing weight and then gaining it all back on purpose?

• SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake (with espresso) in the morning. As I'm not a big breakfast fan, this works for me. I've tried almost all of them on the market, but haven't heard of the one you mentioned. I mix Click Mocha (3 scoops) with EAS complete protein (1 scoop) with 24 ounces of water and some ice - blend well. I like both the taste and the consistency. To me, it doesn't have that chalky, grainy, fee that many have. The rest of the day I eat real food (as clean as possible).
  • SueInAz
    Options
    SolotoCEO wrote: »
    I drink a protein shake (with espresso) in the morning. As I'm not a big breakfast fan, this works for me. I've tried almost all of them on the market, but haven't heard of the one you mentioned. I mix Click Mocha (3 scoops) with EAS complete protein (1 scoop) with 24 ounces of water and some ice - blend well. I like both the taste and the consistency. To me, it doesn't have that chalky, grainy, fee that many have. The rest of the day I eat real food (as clean as possible).

This I get, and it's why I said "unless you like that kind of thing."

I'm not a big breakfast eater, either. Mine is usually a protein bar eaten at my desk at around 8:30 or 9:00am with lunch 2-3 hours later. I'll also have a protein shake some summer mornings after I run (it's too hot to run after work). It barely dips down below 80°F most mornings so I'm hot and really not in the mood for any food at all. A low sugar protein shake is a good compromise for me.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like Muscle Milk. It's so expensive though. -__-

Luckily I only drink it when I'm completely out of time and just have to grab something fast. Plus, drinking a shake in a work meeting is a lot less distracting than munching down on a salad.

Otherwise, I prefer to eat my calories.
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I agree that there's no real need for a meal replacement shake. You can find foods that fill you up and give you the nutrients you're looking for, likely making it a more lifestyle-friendly change than a shake. I've found shakes to get really boring, like nearly anything you have every single day.

That said, I drink Shakeology a couple of times per week because I like it (I add PB2 to my chocolate Shakeology) and I have found it's one of the more filling and long-lasting breakfast options that I've tried. I have used Slim Fast and Atkins shakes, but with less fulfilling results (in taste and in terms of keeping me full). I wouldn't drink Shakeology every day, though, or I'd get beyond sick of it. Other days I'll have a serving of fruit, English muffin, and peanut butter. I also like, though it takes a little more time, scrambled egg whites with salsa. Each of these things leaves me full and satisfied while not giving me the calorie hit of breakfasts past (think: bagel and cream cheese).

In terms of weight loss, that's not about what shake you use so much as calories in vs. calories out. Find something that gives you more for your calorie, and you'll be satisfied and less likely to binge.
  • thecoker
    thecoker Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have been using the ideal shakes as well. I use unsweetened almond milk and I really like them. It's just important to focus on what you are eating and what you can cut out. They have made a big difference and have helped me get a healthier eating pattern on. For those of you who say, 'you can do it w/o them... just watch what you eat'... I was not able to. I am a person who gives into wanting that snack or wanting to eat the big meal and the shakes have helped me zero in more. It sounds totally crazy, but they have been the only thing that have worked for me so far. So- if you want more of my info- please 'friend' me! ;)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    SolotoCEO wrote: »

EAS Complete Protein is my go to protein shake now. I don't use it as a meal replacement, but it is good. Works great as part of an iced coffee, in pancakes, with some almond milk, in overnight oats, etc. The taste is so much better than what I was using before. Absolute love for it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I'm extremely dubious about 18Shake's claim that their 90 calories can actually replace a meal.

I like smoothies for breakfast in the summer and am having one right now for a 195 calorie snack. I start with protein powder and add fat and fruit. 18Shake looks like protein powder with some extra vitamins and minerals, and cost.
  • lalainap19
    lalainap19 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I like total soy protein by naturade at Walmart its only $10 taste super good only 8 grams of sugar per serving and 130 calories. I mix the chocolate and vanilla together. Look at the YouTube reviews on it.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'm considering using em mostly because the thought of solid food before noon kinda makes my stomach churn. Atkins has an interesting one very little carbs lots of protein, I'm counting on my fruit addiction to make up the difference carbwise.