Weight during hot weather

Options

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The OP might be in the north of the UK where it's a bit cooler.
    Here in London it was 37 degrees Celsius (around 99 f) ! :#
    That's basically an average summer day here.

I'm sure it feels hot to people who aren't used to such things, though.

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you can take it.
    It's horrible! Lol
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    It's horrible! Lol
    I've played (American) football in that weather. It's the cold I don't take well.

• ExRelaySprinter
    Options
    It's horrible! Lol
    I've played (American) football in that weather. It's the cold I don't take well.
    Wow, i take my hat off to you. I couldn't even Powerwalk in that heat today. Lol
    The thing with me is, i don't like Weather extremes...too much heat (like today) or when it Snows.
    Anything in between i'm fine with!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    jellytot3 wrote: »
    I'm going to weigh myself tomorrow, but I'm just wondering... It's been really hot here in the UK, we reached 31 degrees today...
    Sorry, I had to laugh just a little at 31 degrees being hot.

I haven't noticed any difference.

Me too. They even had a segment here on the news last night of Brits complaining about the "heatwave"...
    31 degrees is a pleasant spring day here in Australia.

On the other hand, I'm sure a lot of Aussies would shrivel up and die if we had to experience Britain's bitter cold winters. It was 5 degrees Celsius when I got up this morning, and it was almost unbearable :flushed:

• Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    It can get over 100 degrees in Michigan. The only thing that I detest is the sweating. I do retain a lot of water when it is hot out. You can give us a little tiny bit of that heat, if you like! It's July and only 68 degrees :'(
  • DennyB1964
    DennyB1964 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's 5:30 pm and 105F here. This is why I belong to a gym.

As far as weighing, I try to weigh myself first thing in the morning, right after I go to the bathroom and have been in decent temperatures all night. That way food and rehydrating don't have much influence either way. I can't see the heat having too much impact at that point, unless your body is stressed in general, and then I could see retaining a little water.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Oh bloody el, I spend enough time converting ounces, pounds, inches and miles. Now I have to add Celsius/Fahrenheit to that list :grumble: :grimace: xx
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

I'm assuming you're in Texas? We're not prepared for either really hot or really cold weather here. We don't have air con in most places. I teach, and my school has a massive space in the middle with a plastic roof ffs. It's like a greenhouse. There's no air conditioning at all. I live in the south east, so it was about 35 degrees yesterday. Imagine being in a greenhouse with over 1000 kids.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

I'm assuming you're in Texas? We're not prepared for either really hot or really cold weather here. We don't have air con in most places. I teach, and my school has a massive space in the middle with a plastic roof ffs. It's like a greenhouse. There's no air conditioning at all. I live in the south east, so it was about 35 degrees yesterday. Imagine being in a greenhouse with over 1000 kids.

Yup
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I'm going to weigh myself tomorrow, but I'm just wondering... It's been really hot here in the UK, we reached 31 degrees today...

Me too. They even had a segment here on the news last night of Brits complaining about the "heatwave"...
    31 degrees is a pleasant spring day here in Australia.

On the other hand, I'm sure a lot of Aussies would shrivel up and die if we had to experience Britain's bitter cold winters. It was 5 degrees Celsius when I got up this morning, and it was almost unbearable :flushed:

Maybe Sydneysiders would shrivel up and die...for some of us that was the maximum temperature today!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Water retention is NOT uncommon when the temperature goes up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    growing up in arizona hitting the 120s and now living in San Diego when it hits about 79 i want to die of heat exposure.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Let's put this 'laugh at the stupid Brits' into perspective, shall we? - the hottest July temperature EVER recorded in the UK was YESTERDAY, at around 37degC! So yes, it's extremely hot, for the people who live, work and have to travel in this country right now.

It's bloody tough, when many workplaces either have no or inadequate aircon. My office building does have some aircon, but the factory and warehouse don't have an adequate cooling system. at least not one that copes with these temperatures. I have to go through the factory several times a day for quality checks, and the heat was unbearable, close to 30 degrees for part of the day. I felt extremely sorry for the workers - although they got increased break times to help them cope. Laugh it up only if you've had to do an 8 hour shift in that kind of heat, whilst having to wear protective clothing! A lot of them joked about weight loss, but I knew they were all on the edge of dehydration, so kept sending them to the water cooler! And some of them did complain about swollen hands and feet, which is a classic dehydration sign, so it was a very clear example of how heat affects the body, even in young and fit people.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Oh streuth .. they're just having a bit of light-hearted banter
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Water retention is NOT uncommon when the temperature goes up.

I never realized this until now, but it explains a lot!

I work indoors, but mostly from home, where there is no air conditioning. I'm also outside a lot doing gardening, picking fruit, etc.

It has been close to 100F/37C in the Pacific Northwest for the last couple of weeks, which is VERY unusual here. It has also been humid, which doesn't usually happen in the summer. Most people here are not prepared for such things and very few homes have air conditioning. We sometimes have a day like this once or twice in a summer, but weeks at a time with this kind of heat? Nope!

It's because of the blob.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I feel a little more bloated from all the water I'm chugging.

It is unconfortably hot here because of the humidity. I've just come back from Italy where the temperature was hotter, but it was much more pleasant. I had a long meeting just off the hospital delivery suite yesterday afternoon and it was in the high 30s (no air con). I feel sorry for the poor women giving birth up there in those conditions.
  • Hollisamara
    Hollisamara Posts: 106 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

31 degrees celsius its hot for the UK! Yesterday was the hottest day in 9 years x
  • Hollisamara
    Hollisamara Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Not many places in the UK have Air conditioning either.

I'm in Midlands x
  • ExRelaySprinter
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Today was a lot cooler (around 25C i think).
    I actually managed to get stuff done!
    I really don't wanna be seeing 37C again, any time soon. Lol