Yoga?!?!?

Natgal165
Natgal165 Posts: 1 Member
hi I've heard yoga is good for weight loss, no idea where to get started. I have run in the past but it always ends with me giving up or with some kind of injury? Any suggestions to getting started on yoga? Can anyone vouch for its benefits? Thank you

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Exercise for fitness; log to lose weight.

Start with IRL yoga classes—so the instructor can correct your form.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Yoga has so many benefits but increasing your cardiovascular stamina isn't one of them. I think the weight loss benefits of yoga are related to stress reduction (think cortisol)....better sleep habits, and general body awareness. It's not the calorie burn.

I can't point you in any direction because there are many forms of yoga. I do simple hatha yoga, not a fan of power yoga, and never done hot yoga. I'm older and need yoga to help prevent injury and work on my balance. Yoga is one part of my fitness regimen.

I think yoga would help with running.
  • SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Yoga is effing amazing! I'd recommend finding a yoga studio that offers beginner's classes or even an introductory series of classes. That way you can learn all the basics and decide which style/type of class is going to be right for you.

I started doing yoga regularly at a studio in January and have lost almost 20 pounds since then (with basically no other form of exercise). I've been using MFP to track my diet off and on for a few years and have never lost any significant amount of weight until I found yoga. It definitely helps you to be more mindful in general and has provided me with a lot of motivation to eat better overall. I know that many people believe you can't truly lose weight or burn a lot of calories doing yoga but it depends on the style of class you attend. You can get an insane workout from a heated power yoga class! Best of luck getting started :) Namaste!
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 139 Member
    you might find this inspiring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448 . This guy not only lost weight, he changed his life.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    If you like running, yoga can complement your training - it's great for injury prevention and recovery. There are so many different kinds of yoga. Power yoga and vinyasa will definitely get your HR up and improve your muscular strength. Hatha and yin yoga are more gentle - you won't burn many calories but I find it to be a wonderful part of my overall fitness routine. Yoga helps me recover from more intense exercise, improves my flexibility, improves my form with weights because my sense of where my body is in space is more finely tuned and also is great for better sleep.

I'd recommend going to studio first so that you learn the basics with a teacher watching your alignment. Once you have the hang of it there are stacks of videos online to help you build your practice. There are plenty of routines designed for runners too.