Losing Weight without Working Out?

Options

Replies

• DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    msfoxy_25 wrote: »
    I've been on here for 11 days and I lose 4 pounds already, it says 1 on my profile because when I made the account I thought I was a certain weight but when I checked it was higher so I have the wrong starting weight.
    You can change your ticker settings (the slider that shows "x weight lost" "x lb to go") and make the starting weight whatever you want it to be.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    JPIDGLEY wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Hey guys! I don't come to this forums often, but I was wondering, is there a way to lose weight without exercising but eating well? What tips/food suggestions would you suggest to help with that? I would really appreciate your help, for I need to lose at least 25 pounds by October...

I'm prob gunna get so hated on for this post, but I really don't care.

I originally lost 40lbs by diet alone.
    The thought of exercise is not my favourite thing in the world, especially when the fat person inside me wants to play xbox with some mates.
    Weight loss, if everyone is honest, boils down to basic math. If you are living in a calorific deficit then you lose weight. Eating 1350 Cals a day with no exercise may be why you are seeing slow results.

TLDR skip this bit
    For example we know 1 pound of fat = roughly 3,500 calories, so we need to burn 3,500 more calories than we eat to lose 1 pound of fat.
    When it comes to diet alone, you have to figure out your Basal metabolic rate (BMR). Your BMR is the amount of calories you burn a day just by living.

Mine for example is roughly 1,700 calories a day. So if I was to eat 1,350 calories a day It would take me:
    1700(BMR)-1350(Calories A Day) = -350 (calories deficit)
    3,500(Calories in 1lb of fat)/350(Daily deficit) = 10 days to lose 1 pound

If you are shorter and/or weigh less than me it would take even longer, and if you estimate your food intake and don't weigh it as was mentioned before, even longer than that. Adding work outs ups your calorie burn.

To summerize, yes you can lose weight through diet alone, I did it through Intermittent Fasting and a 500Cal budget (pre workout) a day diet of rice and chicken. Rice filled me up super fast and has relatively low calorie count for he amount of space it took up on my plate and in my stomach haha.

(add on: Including today there are 91 days left until October 1st, you would need to be in a calorific deficit of 962 calories a day for those 91 days to lose 25 pounds, completely doable, but much easier with exercise, even if you just walk a dog or something for 30-45 mins a day)

The problem with this is 3 fold...
    1. Weight loss is not as linear as you are making it out to be. Weight fluctuates normally and there is no guarantee (with or without exercise) that merely creating a 3500 weekly deficit will result in a pound of weight loss per week.
    2. It is much harder to meet nutritional requirements with low calories dieting. Exercise increases energy out calling for more calories. More energy in equates to more nutrients.
    3. Weight loss is merely a single side effect of exercise. There are so many more benefits that come along with it. If you diet without exercise you will lose a lot of muscle, believe that.

Everything is better when you are fit...

I agree with you, everything is better when you are fit, and i'm not against exercise, I was just pointing out *in a very simple way* that 3,500 calories = 1 pound of fat and if you don't weigh your food, and know your BMR then you are fighting a losing battle if you eliminate exercise.
    i did leave out the variables of fluctuation, especially water weight which accounts for 0 calories, even though the water you carry obviously has a weight.
    My bad. I re-read your post. Was a result of ready fire aim...

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Use it (your body) or lose it.

It certainly is possible to drop weight, attain a healthy weight / body composition even, and be "unhealthy".

Our bodies were meant to be exercised. Use it or you will lose it, some day.
  • tasheabarnes
    tasheabarnes Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been roughly following 1,200 calories a day and I was barely loosing a pound every couple of weeks so I've started to pay more attention to the nutrition and weighing my food out more. I'm also leaving the car at home and running as many errands by foot as I can. And little things like doing steps on the bottom stair for one song on the radio during the day. And keeping myself busy so I don't eat out of boredom. I plan to start working out soon but I want to get comfortable with what I'm doing and slowly add something else to my routine.
  • vickyaldersey
    vickyaldersey Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm in a vicious cycle. I have arthritis in my knees and know I need to lose weight to help with the pain, but I'm in too Much pain to exercise.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    try going here if you want to update your start date and/or weight http://www.myfitnesspal.com/measurements/edit

You are my HERO! I had been going crazy over this for weeks! <3
  • orangevalkyrie
    orangevalkyrie Posts: 8 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Cut calories and reduce carbs to under 20 grams a day (ketosis) to jump start your metabolism. Eat lots of protein and healthy fats instead for about 3 months. Drink 4 cups of green tea and a gallon of water daily. Don't work out on this diet or you will be too sore and tired, your muscles need carbs to uptake protein. Again, only do this for 3 months and cycle back to a balanced diet. Your heart will thank you. Your momma and you need to realize you can't take your looks with you after death -there is more to life than this. These bodies are impermanent, our souls are not. Be healthy and also please enjoy life's precious gift.

[Edited by MFP Staff]
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Cut calories and reduce carbs to under 20 grams a day (ketosis) to jump start your metabolism.

That doesn't "jump start" the metabolism, it slows it down.

Take ephedra (OTC asthma meds) with caffeine...

Oh FFS....

This is the PSMF protocol, and typically around 700-900 calories/day. Do NOT attempt this unless you actually know what you're doing.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Well, to lose 25lbs in 3 months would mean 9 lbs per month (rounding up to be sure to hit "at least 25") and/or it is about 12 weeks.. so that's a little over 2lbs per week.. Let us say 2lbs then is your goal, per week. You would need 1000 calories less than you would eat to maintain your weight, per day.... I don't see that as being healthy. If you exercise to burn off 500 calories per day it would be a lot more reasonable. :/ However, that can be a lot of exercise.. If you PM me your info @nikkidoodleee meaning height, weight, and an idea of how active you are (do you sit and eat all day or walk around outside, play sports regularly, swim often etc?) I can help you figure out a calorie goal for each day and let you know how much you would *most likely* lose. It would be an estimate because every person is different and some are just blessed to lose weight easier/quicker when they diet....but it would be somewhere to start.
  • Verity1111
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My doctor (an MD who has specialized in weight loss for the last 20 years) says despite the benefits of exercise, it does nothing for weight loss. It's all about what you put into your body nutrition wise. (Exercise is amazing for you, just not for losing weight.)

THIS is a load of crap. No offense. It really is though. We exercise to burn calories and when we exercise regularly our metabolism is often boosted, which means we burn more calories even at rest...as well as more while exercising. More calories burned = more weight loss/less weight gain. Also, if you want to maintain muscle and lose fat, exercising is even more important.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Cut calories and reduce carbs to under 20 grams a day (ketosis) to jump start your metabolism.

That doesn't "jump start" the metabolism, it slows it down.

Take ephedra (OTC asthma meds) with caffeine...

Oh FFS....

This is the PSMF protocol, and typically around 700-900 calories/day. Do NOT attempt this unless you actually know what you're doing.

What the second person said. NO.
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    My doctor (an MD who has specialized in weight loss for the last 20 years) says despite the benefits of exercise, it does nothing for weight loss. It's all about what you put into your body nutrition wise. (Exercise is amazing for you, just not for losing weight.)

THIS is a load of crap. No offense. It really is though. We exercise to burn calories and when we exercise regularly our metabolism is often boosted, which means we burn more calories even at rest...as well as more while exercising. More calories burned = more weight loss/less weight gain. Also, if you want to maintain muscle and lose fat, exercising is even more important.

I don't think her doctor said that. I think she misinterpreted him saying that your diet is what is most important to losing weight. Which is what's true. You can work out all you like, but if you're consuming 9000 calories a day, guess what, you're not going to lose weight.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options

The Mayo Clinic agrees, with a caveat:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/exercise/art-20050999
    Diet or exercise: Does one matter more?

Both are important. However, while diet has a stronger effect on weight loss than physical activity does, physical activity, including exercise, has a stronger effect in preventing weight regain after weight loss.
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/exercise/art-20050999

Both are important. However, while diet has a stronger effect on weight loss than physical activity does, physical activity, including exercise, has a stronger effect in preventing weight regain after weight loss.

@Editorgrrl That's not the clinic agreeing. She claims her doctor said that exercise does NOTHING for weight loss. Which does not mean that diet is the more important part of the method to losing weight, which is what the clinic is saying.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Horrorfox wrote: »
    editorgrrl wrote: »

@Editorgrrl That's not the clinic agreeing. She claims her doctor said that exercise does NOTHING for weight loss. Which does not mean that diet is the more important part of the method to losing weight, which is what the clinic is saying.

*tap tap* This...
  • astrocosmiczoom
    astrocosmiczoom Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I did it, but I wasn't a huge fan of the way my goal weight body turned out.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Cut calories and reduce carbs to under 20 grams a day (ketosis) to jump start your metabolism. Eat lots of protein and healthy fats instead for about 3 months. Take ephedra (OTC asthma meds) with caffeine if you aren't on thyroid meds or have heart trouble. Drink 4 cups of green tea and a gallon of water daily. Don't work out on this diet or you will be too sore and tired, your muscles need carbs to uptake protein. Again, only do this for 3 months and cycle back to a balanced diet. Your heart will thank you. Your momma and you need to realize you can't take your looks with you after death -there is more to life than this. These bodies are impermanent, our souls are not. Be healthy and also please enjoy life's precious gift.

No, no, nooooooo

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Horrorfox wrote: »
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    [quote=
    I don't think her doctor said that. I think she misinterpreted him saying that your diet is what is most important to losing weight. Which is what's true. You can work out all you like, but if you're consuming 9000 calories a day, guess what, you're not going to lose weight.

I just read today that competitors in Tour de France eat 9,000 calories a day!

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I'm in a vicious cycle. I have arthritis in my knees and know I need to lose weight to help with the pain, but I'm in too Much pain to exercise.

swim?
    pain management?