160+ pounds to lose. Umpteenth time trying

Options
I'm a middle aged guy who has been dangerously overweight for a very long time now. I'm nearly 400 lbs, and consulting with my Dr, he thinks that 230 would be a good weight for me. I could definitely use some friends who can help keep me motivated on this LOOONG road I'm on. I plan to follow a ketogenic diet.

Replies

• Wii_Player
    Wii_Player Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Hi,

You can do this one day and one pound at a time. I have +100 pounds to lose, so I will be here a long time too. I am on Day 11 and things are going great.

Congrats on taking that first step :smile:
  • Fasttrack2freedom
    Fasttrack2freedom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    We can do this !! Add request sent
  • BradW99
    BradW99 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I did Keto last summer, it works very well as long as you can stick with it. Good luck!
  • DuneSeaNomad
    DuneSeaNomad Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Still have 195 pounds to lose to reach my goal. Feel free to add me. You can do this!
  • strawburrehmelon
    strawburrehmelon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    143 pounds to lose! We can all do this!!
  • graywi123
    graywi123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have 50 lbs to go. Daunting task but we can climb a mountain one step at the time.
  • beautifulif
    beautifulif Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have 140 myself feel free to add me
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Is this 'ketogenic diet' something you can do the rest of your life? (And your doctor OK'd it?)
    If so, have at it.
    If not, why are you doing it now, and what do you plan to do once you move to normal eating?
    Why not eat normally (normal food, from all food groups, in reasonable portions) from the start?

Little by little, you can lose the weight just like you gained it.

try-not.jpg
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    One day at a time, one step at a time! You can do this!! :)
  • MadMc28
    MadMc28 Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    You can do this!!!
  • humbled2015
    humbled2015 Posts: 29 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I have many new friends to help me on my way.

Thanks for the information MKEgal; I know you mean well. But I won't get into a ketogenic vs CICO argument - it's not productive. I mentioned it and the other basic stats in order to find friends of a similar mindset who would be supportive of what I was doing. Whether that be because of my age, sex, weight loss goals, or dieting approach. I did not mention it in order to be shown a better way or to be told that I'm doing it wrong.

By way of explanation, this account is a reboot for me. I deleted my previous account out of embarrassment. I know my way around I've seen most of those posts before, I'm familiar with the research, my Dr. is on board, and I have determined this is the way most likely to be successful for me.

Edit: correct spelling mistakes - why can't I get it right the first time! grrr.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    consulting with my Dr, he thinks that 230 would be a good weight for me.
    At 230 lb, you'd have to be no less than 6' 8.75" for your BMI to be at the top of a healthy range (24.9).

Here's a BMI chart (only goes up to 6'4", where 195 is the top of the healthy range).
    http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf

And a calculator from the Baylor College of Medicine, which takes into account your age, height, and activity
    level, will tell you not only how many calories to maintain any particular weight, but also how many servings of
    the food groups. Put in your healthy goal weight, or play with the weight until you get the BMI below 24.9.
    https://www.bcm.edu/cnrc-apps/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You should friend request a man on here whose screen name is Tannunisfred. He has lost I think 300 lbs doing MFP and is shooting for I think maybe 150-200 more. He is an amazing inspiration and shows what patience and persistence can do. My best advice would be to contact him. he is great with helping people, especially those who feel they have an overwhelming task ahead of them.
  • lfrbs
    lfrbs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Keep trying mate.
  • AniOnFire
    AniOnFire Posts: 33 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    consulting with my Dr, he thinks that 230 would be a good weight for me.
    At 230 lb, you'd have to be no less than 6' 8.75" for your BMI to be at the top of a healthy range (24.9).

Here's a BMI chart (only goes up to 6'4", where 195 is the top of the healthy range).
    http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf

And a calculator from the Baylor College of Medicine, which takes into account your age, height, and activity
    level, will tell you not only how many calories to maintain any particular weight, but also how many servings of
    the food groups. Put in your healthy goal weight, or play with the weight until you get the BMI below 24.9.
    https://www.bcm.edu/cnrc-apps/healthyeatingcalculator/eatingCal.html

Doctors don't always go by BMI for what weight someone should be. There are more variables than height, age and bone size to consider as well. Also, doctors have put people who are dangerously overweight on calorie restrictive diets that dip into what most people on this site would consider dangerously low (600-800 calories). I understand you're trying to help, but you're starting to come off as a negative nancy. The man should probably listen to his doctor over some generic site's BMI calendar.

Humbled2015

I'm rebooting as well and have a similar amount to lose. Feel free to add me :)
  • JessicaOnFitTrip
    JessicaOnFitTrip Posts: 11 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I still have 116 pounds to lose as well, I'm more than welcome to make new friends along this long journey ahead of all of us!
    I was on a ketogenic diet before and lost 40lbs on it! It taught me how to eat only when I'm hungry, and eat protein and lost of veggies, which I still do most of the time. It's very very effective, just for me personally, a little too restrictive, since I love me my carbs.
    This time around, I'm taking it slowly and incorporating foods I love, just less of them, and incorporating healthier choices for me.

Anyone please feel free to add me!
    Stats:
    Height: 5'9
    SW: 310lbs
    CW: 281lbs
    GW: 155-170lbs (But who am I kidding, it'd be amazing to get under 200)

And I do have instagram if anyone is interested in adding me! Same username @JessicaOnFitTrip www.instagram.com/jessicaonfittrip

We can do this friends! :drinker:
  • humbled2015
    humbled2015 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was very athletic in my youth. I was a swimmer, but built more like football player. Sports really isn't my thing; but my parents got me into AAU swimming at 8 years old, and I was an active participant through high school. I didn't finish growing height-wise until I was around 20; but in high school I was 6'. I ended up at 6'2". In high school I weighed 205lb, and swam 2-4 hrs per day (depending on the season). My build doomed me to be a mediocre swimmer; but boy was I fit. I also could eat 10k calories a day during the peak of training; and other than add muscle and height; I was not overweight in the least. I didn't fit the BMI guildlines then; and I don't expect I should aim to now. Doing so is probably very unwise.

I'm still not sports minded; I have an advanced degree and sit in front of a computer most of the day. I'm more of a geek/musician than anything else. So exercise is a challenge for me. BTW - I have no intention of using exercise in order to lose weight. I do plan to use exercise as a means to be healthy, however. I plan to focus on my diet to lose weight.
  • broekte
    broekte Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have a similar path as I started around 400 a couple years ago. I got down to about 260 but let myself swell back up to around 330 so I'm starting again. Feel free to add me.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    The umpteenth time is the magic number! Start with small changes so you don't get overwhelmed. Log everything that goes in your mouth. Start with small walks maybe 5 minutes if you can. When I started here I could only walk 2 minutes at a time. Good Luck!