Gym calories

Options
Was wondering how many calories do other people aim to burn at the gym ? I've been going 6 weeks and burn around 400 calories

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Very much depends on
    • What you are doing?
    • How long for?
    • What intensity?
    • your height, age, weight
    so really no answer
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    If it helps .. 400 calories would take me 56 mins straight on the elliptical with a resistance at 17/25, HR at 140-150+ and speed of 6-10KMH
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    If I do an hour of cardio, working up a good sweat, the machines will tell me I have burned an about 600 calories. (I'm 5'9" and weigh about 168 pounds at the minute.)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Pootler74 wrote: »
    If I do an hour of cardio, working up a good sweat, the machines will tell me I have burned an about 600 calories. (I'm 5'9" and weigh about 168 pounds at the minute.)

If the machines are telling you that then the best advice is to take 50-75% of the calories and log those and eat them

Then judge your weight loss average over the next 6-8 weeks against your targeted weight loss and adjust from there

MFP database and Machines tend to drastically overestimate calorie burn
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

If the machines are telling you that then the best advice is to take 50-75% of the calories and log those and eat them

Then judge your weight loss average over the next 6-8 weeks against your targeted weight loss and adjust from there

I always eat 50% of them, with one exception: Only one app has told me anything that looks like the truth when it comes to burns - Lifelog paired with a Sony smartband, for walking. I'll eat 100% of those, because I think they may even be on the low side sometimes. Everything else is lies. The worst of them actually being MapMyFitness, an Under Armour app that manages to estimate even more - way more - than MFP for walking and running. I'll enter 50% of those in my log, but try not to eat them all, because even 50% is more than what what Lifelog estimates for the same walk or run.

It makes me quite angry at times actually. I'm sure we must have the science to give better calorie burn estimates, and there's no reason for them to be so inflated. While I understand that machines overestimate for marketing purposes, I don't get why apps do too.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I always eat 50% of them. I my experience only one app has told me anything that looks like the truth when it comes to burns - Lifelog paired with a Sony smartband, for walking. Everything else is lies. The worst of them actually being MapMyFitness, an Under Armour app that manages to estimate even more - way more - than MFP for walking and running. I'll enter 50% of those in my log, but try not to eat them all, because even 50% is more than what what Lifelog estimates for the same walk or run.

It makes me quite angry at times actually. I'm sure we must have the science to give better calorie burn estimates, and there's no reason for them to be so inflated. While I understand that machines overestimate for marketing purposes, I don't get why apps do too.

My fitbit has proved to be quite accurate over time

My Polar FT4 HRM is accurate when I use it appropriately