Breakfast?

Options
What do people think about skipping breakfast? I don't get hungry until about 1030/11 am therefore sometimes I don't eat breakfast but sometimes I eat once I wake up; depending on the day. Should I eat breakfast even if I am not hungry or should I wait until I am actually hungry? Everyone says breakfast is the most important meal of the day but why?

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with skipping breakfast, eat when you want. Doesn't matter.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is not important. If you aren't hungry, don't eat. I fell trap to that idea and all eating breakfast did was make me ravenous throughout the morning.
  • kamack1215
    kamack1215 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Breakfast is not important. If you aren't hungry, don't eat. I fell trap to that idea and all eating breakfast did was make me ravenous throughout the morning.

I find that as well. If I eat it when I am not hungry then I just start eating everything
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm another one who doesn't eat breakfast because if I do, I'll eat all. Day. Long. I tend to wait to eat until noon or 1, sometimes later. I'm just not hungry in the mornings and if I do eat, I feel sick.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i go in stages. sometimes i eat it, sometimes i dont. depends on if I'm hungry or not LOL
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I agree with the otheres -- if you're hungry eat, if not don't.

I used to not be hungry at all for breakfast and if I ate, I'd feel sick most of the morning. I've never had a stable lunch availability with my job (many times required a working lunch). That meant I was leaving most of my calories for dinner and by dinner I was starving! So I'd eat a lot of crap, my eyes were bigger than my stomach, and I'd feel like crap from the overload of food. Slowly I incorporated breakfast. Started with a glass of milk. Then an apple/orange. Then granola bar. Now I full out eat and I can't get by without a breakfast. But that is what I needed to do for MYSELF.

If you think there is a reason where breakfast would benefit you (need more energy for morning workouts, have long work days, etc), but you just can't stomach it, try building like I did. If you feel fine without the breakfast, there is nothing wrong with omitting it. Much of the hype about breakfast comes from what I just said about my experience -- certain lifestyle require it more than others.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I try to eat breakfast on days I work, hungry or not. I get a better nutrition profile from a planned meal, than whatever I "find" to eat @ 10am when I actually get hungry ( my office tends to be full of the usual donuts, etc ).

If I could take the time to make something when I actually got hungry, that would be ideal. Since I cant, and have to make it ahead, doesn't really matter if I carry it around in tupperware for the 1st couple hours, or already have it in my GI tract.

The analogy is always leaving a 1/4 tank of gas in the car, so you never run out.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel like eating breakfast, don't. There is a common story about breakfast starting your metabolism, but it's nonsense.

If, however, you find yourself trotting over to the vending machine for a high calorie snack mid-morning because you're suddenly hungry or overeating at lunch, it might be helpful to plan for a modest breakfast.

• Jad31te
    Jad31te Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Good to know, I have just started this journey. Felt pressured to eat breakfast and I really can't stomach it.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Jad31te wrote: »
    Good to know, I have just started this journey. Felt pressured to eat breakfast and I really can't stomach it.

Something to consider: when was your last meal or snack? If you had a snack before bed late last night, no wonder you aren't hungry yet (and that's ok!). I tend to eat my last meal around 5pm, so by 8am (after exercise) I am starving! But by then it's been a long time. If I am out on a Saturday night and eat a lot, and late, then I am not hungry Sunday morning. Just makes sense.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    Options
    While meal timings may play a MARGINAL role when it comes to optimising weight loss, for the vast majority of MFP members, we are better served by just concentrating on eating a few thousand less calories than we spend each and every week!

And whatever helps us do that, consistently, sustainably, and in a health promoting fashion, that's what we should do!

Regardless of whether it involves eating or not eating breakfast, having or not having a larger dinner, or rubbing our belly and our head clockwise every morning!!!
  • Jad31te
    Jad31te Posts: 73 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I try to eat my dinner by 6pm, my snack if needed after that hour is a small palm of sunflower kernels or something light, but I never eat before bed, because when I do that I can't sleep. lol I guess I am just weird, never liked breakfast.