Total Newbie Start

_Primal_
_Primal_ Posts: 845 Member
I have a weak core, which causes me quite a bit of pain and discomfort in my lower back. When I do any real exhersion this is the first place I feel pain. Most of the Beginner programs I have seen, all want me to die into barbell or dumbbell routines. Which worry me as in previous attempts, that kind of routine cases me stress in my lower back.

Does anyone have any good body weight routines, as I'm carrying over 250lbs, which is more than some people can bench lol

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Walking is a bodyweight exercise. Start there.
  • lxsaps
    lxsaps Posts: 181 Member
    Look into Kettle Bells. I do swings along with running. It's low impact if you do technique correctly.
  • _Primal_
    _Primal_ Posts: 845 Member
    edited July 2015
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Walking is a bodyweight exercise. Start there.

Oh I get plenty of that, I'm aiming for 10,000 steps daily. But thank you for your contribution.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Planks are a good way to strengthen your core. There are several different kinds too, including one that has you up on your hands, but down on your knees instead of up on your toes. I have a weak core too, so these have helped me greatly. Don't feel bad if you can only do them for a few seconds at the beginning. If you do them regularly enough, you will build up your time very quickly.

modified-plank2.jpg
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Swimming is low-impact.

Have you talked to your doctor about what you can & cannot do?
  • intruhvurt
    intruhvurt Posts: 21 Member
    edited July 2015
    The lower back pain may be due to using improper form. Do you have accessto a trainer to help guide you?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I started with a similar weight at ~280, but had a strong core.

Start with calisthenics - planks, pushups, situps, jumping jacks and develop your core. There are countless cheap or free videos to get you started on a program. Just pick one and establish a routine for yourself. Very smart to recognize this and not jump into lifting - need to develop those critical core muscles to support the rest of your body.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    I use the exercise machines as I can't have any downward pressure on my back. Also as the above poster mentioned, try exercises to strengthen your core.