Help With Diet For Husband

Options
AmieAP
AmieAP Posts: 46 Member
Hello. I am looking for help with a diet for my husband. he works so he can't get online very often and has asked me to ask you fine folks for some help. He is a plain eater, no condiments, no sauces. he is on 2880 calories a day. he loves burgers, cheese, bacon, etc. We are big meat eaters. How much bacon is bad? I guess I've never asked myself that question. He is 39, male, 5' 10'', 180 lbs. He only wants to lose 10 - 20 lbs while getting fit.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    How much bacon is bad? That depends on your cholesterol levels and other factors which I'm not sure about, lol.

Make sure that he eats in a deficit and he will lose weight.
  • AmieAP
    Options
    Thanks. He is a healthy guy overall. No issues we know about.
  • intruhvurt
    intruhvurt Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    He can continue to eat the same things he does now. He just needs to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight.
  • MrsGreco
    MrsGreco Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    intruhvurt wrote: »
    He can continue to eat the same things he does now. He just needs to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight.

This :smile:

• misskitty2018
    misskitty2018 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    try to reduce or cut out all red meat. start eating chicken, fish, tuna or even try turkey. bacon should be very limited because it's got so many additives and is so bad. My husband is the same way...he loves his red meat and bacon cheeseburgers. good luck ;)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    AmieAP wrote: »
    Hello. I am looking for help with a diet for my husband. he works so he can't get online very often and has asked me to ask you fine folks for some help. He is a plain eater, no condiments, no sauces. he is on 2880 calories a day. he loves burgers, cheese, bacon, etc. We are big meat eaters. How much bacon is bad? I guess I've never asked myself that question. He is 39, male, 5' 10'', 180 lbs. He only wants to lose 10 - 20 lbs while getting fit.
    Are you sure about the 2880?
    Put the foods into the diary the day before. A lot of us find that pre-logging works well. By doing this, you might find that he will be eating slightly smaller portions of the burgers, cheese, and bacon.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

The piece of bacon that puts him over 2800 calories is the only bad one.
  • newfutures
    newfutures Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    he needs to check his food intake, count his calories and make time. As long as he eats at a deficit he should lose weight. simple
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    How much bacon is bad? I guess I've never asked myself that question.
    No more than 60 strips a week :)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Does he have any medical conditions that make you think he should avoid bacon? Generally, getting an overweight person into a calorie deficit and losing weight will improve health and markers like cholesterol, regardless of dietary intake of cholesterol or saturated fat.
    Processed meat of has some association with certain cancers, but nothing proven causative.
  • David_2015
    David_2015 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    ohmscheeks wrote: »
    How much bacon is bad? I guess I've never asked myself that question.
    No more than 60 strips a week :)

Hahahah!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

The only thing he needs to do is eat within that 2880 calories. He can eat the same food that he eats right now in order to lose weight. Losing weight is all about eating fewer calories than you burn so the calorie goal will take care of that.

If he is trying to eat a more varied diet, I would suggest trying one new recipe or food a week. If the issue is just "what can I eat while losing weight?" again, just focus on overall calories.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It's hard for him to figure out if he's in a deficit if he's not doing some sort of tracking, either online or the old-fashioned way with a food journal. Even if he's not tracking, he might start measuring portion sizes. My husband's diabetic and it's been hard for him to get on track -- it had to come from him, not me. Finally, he and my grown son had a weigh in contest (they both need to lose), and the one who lost more had to pay the other one $5 a lb. Because I measure my food, my husband has started looking at my portions and having about 1 1/2 times what I have. For instance, as a female, I might eat 4 oz. of meat at a sitting; he'll eat 6 oz. Your husband can still have his burger, but it should be 1/4 lb., not a 1/2 lb. Regarding bacon, 2 strips of bacon is 80 calories. A couple strips on a moderate burger is fine -- just not half the package. I also stopped having certain things in the house -- chips, ice cream, etc. So, if the question is "What's for dessert?" The answer is, "Fruit."
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    kittgrace wrote: »
    try to reduce or cut out all red meat. start eating chicken, fish, tuna or even try turkey. bacon should be very limited because it's got so many additives and is so bad. My husband is the same way...he loves his red meat and bacon cheeseburgers. good luck ;)

What's wrong with red meat? What's wrong with bacon, eapecially the uncured types? There is no need whatsoever to cut out all red meat.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Bacon is fine. Without bacon, there is no maple bacon cheesecake, no apple-bacon-upside-down-spicecake, no bacon-wrapped stuffed chicken, no candied bacon, and no dark chocolate bacon bark!! :9
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    It's hard for him to figure out if he's in a deficit if he's not doing some sort of tracking, either online or the old-fashioned way with a food journal. Even if he's not tracking, he might start measuring portion sizes. My husband's diabetic and it's been hard for him to get on track -- it had to come from him, not me. Finally, he and my grown son had a weigh in contest (they both need to lose), and the one who lost more had to pay the other one $5 a lb. Because I measure my food, my husband has started looking at my portions and having about 1 1/2 times what I have. For instance, as a female, I might eat 4 oz. of meat at a sitting; he'll eat 6 oz. Your husband can still have his burger, but it should be 1/4 lb., not a 1/2 lb. Regarding bacon, 2 strips of bacon is 80 calories. A couple strips on a moderate burger is fine -- just not half the package. I also stopped having certain things in the house -- chips, ice cream, etc. So, if the question is "What's for dessert?" The answer is, "Fruit."

Amen
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    try to reduce or cut out all red meat. start eating chicken, fish, tuna or even try turkey. bacon should be very limited)

Yeah, tell that to the OP and husband who are meat lovers. :#
    because it's got so many additives and is so bad.

Additives, yes, nitrite, maybe be a bit careful about overconsumption. But I wonder if bacon is bad just because it's bacon?
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Nitrites are also in vegetables. OP, go with the other, more logical peeps and just make sure he stays in his goals. If he chooses to add in salads and more veggies as a side instead of mac&cheese or chips, that's just an added plus.
  • AmieAP
    Options

We make our own bacon and we add nothing to it. Same as our red meats.
  • AmieAP
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

The only thing he needs to do is eat within that 2880 calories. He can eat the same food that he eats right now in order to lose weight. Losing weight is all about eating fewer calories than you burn so the calorie goal will take care of that.

If he is trying to eat a more varied diet, I would suggest trying one new recipe or food a week. If the issue is just "what can I eat while losing weight?" again, just focus on overall calories.

I think we will try that! Thanks.