Beginning my toning journey!

Hey, I'm Amanda! I was wondering if anyone would like to help me develop a fitness plan. I am only looking to lose around 10lbs. My main goal is to get more toned and tighten up my body. I have access to an elliptical and could start going to the gym. If anyone has any ideas for strength and toning exercises that would be great! Please also include number of reps and sets if possible. thanks ☺️

Replies

• devokapler
    devokapler Posts: 1 Member
    Diet is going to be your focus (Calories in vs calories out). If you're going to lift weights to tone you're going to want to do lighter weight, and more reps. Using the elliptical itself will do wonders because it works more than just one body part. Keep at it and have fun :)
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Eat in a caloric deficit to lose weight and get the 'toned' look. Get a gym membership and lift heavy, particularly free weights. Follow a lifting program with a progressive overload to preserve as much muscle as possible, such as;
    • New Rules of Lifting For Women
    • Strong Curves
    • ICF 5x5
    • Stronglifts 5x5

Eat 0.6-0.8g of protein per lb of body mass, I would suggest eating towards 0.8g seeing as you should be lifting. Around 0.4-0.45g of fat per lb of body mass, I'd suggest nearer to 0.4g and fill the rest with carbs.

With the programs I gave you, the sets and reps are 5x5 apart from deadlifts where it is 1x5 as they're more taxing on energy.
  • abeland2020
    abeland2020 Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you both for the help! It's greatly appreciated!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    devokapler wrote: »
    Diet is going to be your focus (Calories in vs calories out). If you're going to lift weights to tone you're going to want to do lighter weight, and more reps. Using the elliptical itself will do wonders because it works more than just one body part. Keep at it and have fun :)

I'd actually counter this claim. Go heavy and do less reps. Going lighter with more reps is pretty much hypertrophy and isn't really needed when OP is cutting.

OP, I strongly advise that you read up on the programs that I listed.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    edited July 2015
    I have a bike, but otherwise we are doing the same thing. Drop the pounds by making sure you eat less calories than your body burns (invest in a food scale if you don't have one and log everything). Working out buys your extra calories to spend on things that make life worth living, and preserve and tighten existing muscle. Enjoy the ride! Oh, and feel free to friend me, as we are in the same boat :smile:

• lizmcvey
    lizmcvey Posts: 64 Member
    Read The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I won't try to summarize the entire book here but you will find helpful information there. You may not love 100% of what it says but I know you will find enough of value to make the read worth your time.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited July 2015
    devokapler wrote: »

Wrong wrong wrong. OP, there is no such thing as "toning." Our muscles either get bigger, get smaller, or stay the same - they do not "tone." When women say they want to look "toned," the look they want can be achieved by lowering your body fat percentage. The lower your body fat percentage, the more lean you'll look, and the more your muscles will be visible - hence, the "toned" look.

As you lose weight, you'll lose both fat and muscle. Losing muscle is no good, which is why it's a good idea to incorporate strength training into your exercise routine. The light weight, more reps thing is a huge myth that way too many people still believe. Lifting heavy weights will not make you muscular - women simply don't bulk up the way men do. Lifting heavier weights minimizes the amount of muscle you'll lose while you cut weight. You'll gain strength as you lose weight, but you won't be gaining any noticeable amount of muscle. Remember, muscles need fuel to grow - fuel=calories - therefore, you need to eat a surplus of calories in order to stimulate noticeable muscle growth. Newbie gains are a thing, but you don't need to worry about getting muscular by accident - it won't happen.

Here's the basics of rep ranges for you goal...
    • Heavy weight, low reps (1-5) is usually for mass and/or strength gains.
    • Moderate weight, moderate reps (6-12) is for a bit of strength, hypertrophy (aka looking hot), and muscular endurance.
    • Light weight, high reps (15+) is for muscular endurance and, quite frankly, cardio.

With strength training, stick to compound lifts with free weights. Don't waste your time on weight machines in the beginning. The barbell and dumbbells are your friends. Squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, and bent-over rows are a great place to start.

Calories above all for weight loss. If you're eating at a deficit, you'll lose weight. Weight loss happens in the kitchen; fitness happens in the gym. The working out part is about feeling good, being healthy, and getting fit/strong. Both are important, so find a good balance.