For those of you that like Hamburger Helper

dargytaylor
dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
Have you ever thought to make your own? It's so easy, and so much better for you! You can make up "packets" to have on hand for those busy nights, voila, a homecooked meal :) Making your own meals also allows you to input into the recipe builder, weigh finished product (use this as your serving size) and then when you have your serving, weigh it ~ this is the amount you log!

Check out this recipe, or google "homemade hamburger helper"

http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-cheeseburger-macaroni-hamburger-helper-418682

Replies

• sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Thanks for this! My husband likes it, but it makes me sick to my stomach and I refuse to make it. Not sure what does it, but I bet this would be fine, looks pretty harmless. Maybe he won't notice if I throw out the boxes that have sat uneaten in our pantry for over a year because I can't stomach it.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    I think something like velvetta cheese make work best for the creaminess factor- just experiment!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    It's really high fat. If you're not used to high fat, then it will upset you!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    I always make my own. Just hamburger or steak, brown gravy and egg noodles.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Thanks for this! My husband likes it, but it makes me sick to my stomach and I refuse to make it. Not sure what does it, but I bet this would be fine, looks pretty harmless. Maybe he won't notice if I throw out the boxes that have sat uneaten in our pantry for over a year because I can't stomach it.
    LOL, same thing in our house. I have no issue with making my own pasta and tossing in ground beef, tomatoes, seasoning etc, but its "just not the same" to him and I still have to buy that crap.

• sdraper2014
    LOL, same thing in our house. I have no issue with making my own pasta and tossing in ground beef, tomatoes, seasoning etc, but its "just not the same" to him and I still have to buy that crap.

At the store he swore to me that he would make them for lunch the days he works from home, but it never happens because he would have to defrost the meat and turn on the stove.
    It's really high fat. If you're not used to high fat, then it will upset you!

I eat a diet higher in fat and lower on carbs. I have issues with other prepared foods that have packets for sauce like Kraft dinner or those Lipton sidekicks things, which is just as well really. They are pretty high on salt and certainly don't fit with my food choices these days!

• tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    thanks for the share! I miss the hamburger helper. :)
  • kristen_wino
    kristen_wino Posts: 67 Member
    I just recently Youtubed a few recipes on homemade Straganauff. It's so easy, so fast. We don't buy the box stuff anymore either. Only 6 ingriedents.
  • kutedaisy
    kutedaisy Posts: 41 Member
    Yum! Thanks
  • sdraper2014
    Ok I made this, modified the recipe a bit, used whole wheat pasta, light cheddar and skim milk. I also drained most of the fat off the beef with a rinse with boiling water and washing out the pan. Turned out pretty good, not sure if it tastes like the real deal since I don't eat the stuff from the box, but it was good enough for my husband to eat seconds.