Loose Skin from Weight Loss

Options
rh091
rh091 Posts: 100 Member
I started my weight loss journey at 250lbs last August and I have lost 70 lbs now and I am starting to worry about the effects on my body - whether I will have loose skin is my main concern. My goal is to lose another 30 lbs. I have been doing a combination of both cardio and strength based exercises as the weight has been coming off, and it has come off at a normal pace (2lbs/week when I was heavier and now gradually becoming 1-1.5lbs/week. I am 23 years old and was not overweight for the majority of my life, I only gained an extreme amount of weight within the last 2-2.5 years before I started losing. I understand that everyone's body is different and can react differently to weight loss, but was wondering if anyone had any advice on avoiding loose skin through particular exercises, or what people's experiences were with loose skin and weight loss.

I know there are no right or wrong answers to this question and that I need to be patient to see how my body reacts but I'm just looking for info out of curiosity.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Your loose skin depends on your genetics and your rate of weight loss.

If you have a more aggressive caloric deficit, and hence faster weight loss (because your TDEE is higher), your skins elasticity won't be able to 'catch up' with your tissues under neath it (dumb way of putting it, sorry). This results in loose skin, which is partially dictated by your genetics.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have some loose skin. I honestly haven't found anyway to avoid it and I am just hoping it will tighten up once I move to maintenance. I actually have similar stats to you:
    5'4.5"
    25 yrs
    Highest Adult Weight: 260 lbs
    CW: 134-135 lbs
    GW: 130 lbs

fl9ie1ahmgd5.jpg
    (pictures are from last night)
  • rh091
    rh091 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    thank-you for sharing, and congratulations on your successes :)