Today Show investigation on Frozen Meals...the study is alar

Options
2»

Replies

• nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    They don't even talk about sodium in this investigation. It makes sense that 3 - 5% variations can occur...but 350?!?!?! Give me a break. That is just outright lying! The amount of sodium and preservatives in these meals is astounding as well. And while they don't say it here, it does nothing good for your body, especially when trying to loose weight. I know some people need the quick meal...but you are much better off to stick with fresh and homemade foods.
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    Wow, thanks for posting this. That's incredible
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    :indifferent: :frown: :embarassed:

omg

i dont eat those anyway (because they are sodium bombs) but that is pretty shocking.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I am not suprised and I have been saying things against pre-packaged and frozen "convenience" meals for the longest time.........

Pre-planning, home cooking is the only way to go!!!
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Clearly some people in this thread that are trying to come across as smart are missing the entire point. *smh*
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Clearly some people in this thread that are trying to come across as smart are missing the entire point. *smh*

What is the purpose of stating this without offering your opinion on what the actual point is?
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    They don't even talk about sodium in this investigation. It makes sense that 3 - 5% variations can occur...but 350?!?!?! Give me a break. That is just outright lying! The amount of sodium and preservatives in these meals is astounding as well. And while they don't say it here, it does nothing good for your body, especially when trying to loose weight. I know some people need the quick meal...but you are much better off to stick with fresh and homemade foods.

I do see your point and of course I agree that fresh, homemade food is preferable if possible but... in their defence it was apparently (sorry I didn't watch it) a snapshot of the nutritional info. Think of it this way - if you make a dinner for 4 with 500g meat, 2 cups veg and 200g rice (all mixed in) how likely do you think it is that when you scoop out the dinner you will each get 125g meat, 1/2 cup veg and 50g rice? Now multiply that recipe by 1000 and how many are you getting that are exact? How far off potentially could some of them be? So I could see how such a large difference could be possible even if their recipe divided by the number of serves is equal too the actual nutrition info they post on the package.

Unfortunately it does make it very difficult for us as individuals (and calorie counters) to be watching what we are eating.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options

:huh: :indifferent: :yawn:
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    This is not a sound study as the "investgators" only tested one sample of each food. If they had tested many samples of each and averaged the results, they would have come up with numbers much closer to those on the box. And it's not just diet foods that have "averaged" nutritional labels. It's ALL prepackaged food. Repeat this test by sampling products selected at random from the supermarket and it would likely reveal the same results. You wouldn't seriously expect every apple in the produce section to have exactly the same amount of calories and sugar - even those that are of identical weight - so why would you expect frozen entrees to do so? Even food that is measured out in precise amounts will have varying nutritional values depending on the seasonality of produce, the body fat percentage of the animal from which the meat came, and even the amount of time the food spent in the production phase. Yes, keep reading the nutritional labels, because sometimes it will be above and sometimes it will be below, but it will eventually average out. Don't let the results of this "study" be an excuse for why you are not losing weight. If you are running a 1000 calories deficit 20% of 200 calories is not going to make too much of a difference, especially if the next day your meal is overestimated by the same amount. To be on the safe side, underestimate the calories you burn from exercise and overestimate the amount of calories you consume by about 5%. That way you'll have a little leeway everyday to make up for the "averages" problem of food nutrition labels.

i agree too! but then again, i like smart people that can think for themselves. :)