Living on my own - grocery tips?

I've only recently gotten super into fitness (teambeachbody programs: PiYo, T25 Alpha, Insanity Max 30, TurboFire) and I've been counting calories but now I really want to start working on counting healthier calories!

I'll be starting graduate school this August and it will be the first time I'm living on my own not in a college dorm. This seems to me like the perfect opportunity to start fresh. So for all you experts - what are the must-haves for my kitchen cabinets? What kind of shopping lists should I be making? How can I balance this with a very small budget? And for all you teambeachbody fans - is Shakeology affordable/worth the cost? Thanks so much!

Replies

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    You want something affordable and then ask about Shakeology which is pretty much a total rip-off and scam... o_O

Negative. Just eat regular food, but do invest in a food scale and PROPERLY weigh and log your food. Weigh all solids, and measuring liquids.

My personal must have items as of late are Cheerios, milk, Greek yogurt, protein powder, fruit, carrots, peanut butter (and PB2 for when I lack the calories for regular peanut butter), chicken, ground turkey, eggs, sliced cheese, and whole wheat bread.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Try for minimally processed single ingredient foods. If it grows or walks then eat it. If it didn't, then don't. I've always liked that one for staying on track. Haha
  • goldbergrr
    goldbergrr Posts: 9 Member
    I will admit that Shakeology is NOT a scam because I have tried it. The idea of it being a $4/day breakfast (essentially) appeals to me and I have a friend who it has worked wonders for but he has much more income than I. I just want to know if people who have tried it in comparison to other options have found anything near equivalent quality for cheaper.

Those foods are good suggestions! What do you put your protein powder into and can it be tasty? What would you recommend in terms of meal variety?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Obviously eggs, and dairy products are good. Try for plain unsweetened greek yogurt though. No need for that extra sugar. If it isn't sweet enough, some all natural honey does the trick quite well
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    I'm not going to argue the validity of a MLM company. Suffice to say I would give them $1 let alone $120 a month on average (which for the record is 1 week of food for my family of 4).

I use Designer Whey French Vanilla protein powder and either shake it into 8oz of milk or mix it into 340g of Greek yogurt. I found that protein powder fairly quickly and since I liked the flavor I've stuck with it. I'll admit I'm more of a snack as I feel hungry type person, so I only really make a single structured meal a day for my family (dinner). We'll have shredded chicken in the crockpot, chili, grill or bake chicken and have steamed veggies, turkey meatballs, turkey meatloaf. In the next week or so we'll be having egg salad sandwiches, pad thai, baked chicken nuggets, and cheeseburgers.
  • goldbergrr
    goldbergrr Posts: 9 Member
    I'm not going to argue the validity of a MLM company. Suffice to say I would give them $1 let alone $120 a month on average (which for the record is 1 week of food for my family of 4).

I use Designer Whey French Vanilla protein powder and either shake it into 8oz of milk or mix it into 340g of Greek yogurt. I found that protein powder fairly quickly and since I liked the flavor I've stuck with it. I'll admit I'm more of a snack as I feel hungry type person, so I only really make a single structured meal a day for my family (dinner). We'll have shredded chicken in the crockpot, chili, grill or bake chicken and have steamed veggies, turkey meatballs, turkey meatloaf. In the next week or so we'll be having egg salad sandwiches, pad thai, baked chicken nuggets, and cheeseburgers.

Awesome. Those are really good examples and thank you for sharing which protein powder you use. Super helpful.
  • panchakshara
    panchakshara Posts: 37 Member
    Healthy and Cheap Staple Foods

Rolled Oats
    Bananas
    Canned Beans
    Eggs
    Frozen Veggies or whatever fresh produce is on sale that week
    Bulk Grains like bulgur wheat

depending on your budget and nutritional needs it can also be good to throw in things like
    greek yogurt
    2% milk (skim is actually bad for you)
    frozen berries, apples, citrus fruit
    chicken breasts, ground turkey, ground beef, lean sausages etc
    canned tuna
    cottage cheese
    all natural/unsweetened peanut butter and other nut butters
    whole grain, spelt, etc bread
    more expensive grains like quinoa
    prewashed greens/salad mixes

some condiments which are pretty low cal and helpful
    mustard
    flavored vinegars (red wine, balsalmic, and rice)
    soy sauce
    sriracha
    tabasco
    crushed red pepper
    smoked paprika
    garlic powder
    honey
    cocoa powder
    curry powder

also helpful to pick up fats and oils like
    olive
    coconut
    sesame
    mayonnaise
    butter
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Beans rice. Try and get a Costco membership veggies produce are real cheap. When I buy vegs elsewhere its frozen, or greens, banana. Potatoes. Nothing pre-packaged or ready to go items.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Pay attention to sales and stock up a bit. This has been a saving grace for me. Eggs on sale? I buy 6 dozen. Cereal on sale? I find a coupon and fill my cabinet. This allows me to afford more expensive items such as fresh produce, Greek yogurt, diet soda and "fun foods" like chips and dessert items.

Shopping and cooking for one person can easily blow a budget. The advice about using your crock pot is great. Your freezer is your friend when you cook for one! I also keep an eye on deals at local restaurants. I can turn a $10 Chinese takeout into 4 meals pretty easy.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Buy meat when it's on sale and freeze. New yen the meat gets close to expiration, they put it on sale. That's when I buy! :) Frozen fruits and veggies. Make your own bread - it's cheaper, healthier, tastes soo much better and smells good when you bake it.

Use coupons. Watch the store for sales - I got $12 worth of stuff for free today, not counting my coupons. Bought laundry detergent at regular price, got free liquid softener, dryer sheets, bleach and dish soap.

Learn to cook the cheaper cuts of meat. M&s one of the BEST meat dishes are made with the cheaper stuff - you just have to make it right. :)

When organizing your kitchen, put things near where you will be when you want them. It's a big help. :)
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    So I always like to keep the list of things below constantly stocked in my kitchen. I will buy meats/fish/proteins, and whatever veggies and fruits are fresh and in season, and then decide what to make depending on what is on sale! With this list of condiments and cooking goods, you can pretty much make anything! A few kitchen items (that are beside the obvious) I find I can't live without: 1) my immersion blender, 2) my slow-cooker (crock pot), 3) meat thermometer, 4) cheese grater, 5) tupperware tupperware tupperware (so I can cook in large quantities and freeze).

Here is what is always in my kitchen!

FLAVOR STAPLES:
    Olive oil
    Coconut oil
    Toasted sesame seed oil
    Apple cider vinegar
    Rice wine vinegar
    Balsamic vinegar
    Soy sauce
    Curry powder
    Turmeric
    Cumin
    Coriander seeds (ground)
    Paprika (smokey)
    Garlic powder
    Cinnamon
    Nutmeg
    Ground ginger
    Vanilla extract
    Dried oregano
    Dried marjoram
    Dried thyme
    Dried rosemary
    Dried dill
    Meat rubs
    Salt
    Black pepper
    Honey

FOOD FOR YOUR PANTRY:
    Canned tomatoes (diced, whole, sauce, etc)
    Pasta sauce
    Light canned coconut milk
    Thai Kitchen red curry paste
    Black beans (canned or dry)
    Non-fat refried beans
    Garbanzo beans (canned or dry)
    Sweet corn (canned or dry)
    Peas (canned or dry or frozen)
    Kidney beans (canned or dry)
    Sauerkraut
    Red lentils
    Yellow lentils
    Split peas
    Bulgur wheat
    Pasta (whole wheat is good)
    Rice noodles
    Udon noodles
    Tuna fish
    Canned salmon
    Brown rice/wild rice blend
    Quinoa
    Corn meal (for polenta, etc)
    Peanuts
    Cashews
    Raisins/currants
    Corn starch
    Flour (unbleached)
    Sugar (cane or brown)
    LOTS of things I have canned myself (home-made ketchup, pickled things, low-sugar preserves)
    Soy protein isolate (goes in my smoothie every morning!)

FOR THE FRIDGE:
    Dijon mustard and/or yellow mustard
    Sriracha
    Chicken & veggie boullion
    Miso paste (good for soup, but also for fish glazes!)
    Chopped garlic
    Pickles/pickled things (great snacks)
    Ketchup
    BBQ sauce
    Tamarind sauce
    Lite mayo
    Greek yogurt
    2% milk
    Eggs
    Relish
    Salsa

FREEZER/FRIDGE (proteins/etc)
    Chicken (i like thighs, and they're cheaper)
    Chicken sausages
    Bratwurst
    Lean pork tenderloin
    Bacon (yes...you heard right)
    Lentils (ask me about my red lentil soup if you want)
    Ground buffalo/elk/venison/extra-lean beef
    Halibut, trout, salmon, mahi-mahi, cod, or tilapia
    Frozen dumplings (trader joe's)
    Tamales (from my favorite tamale lady)
    Corn tortillas

Some of my favorite things to make are:
    Thai coconut curry w/ chicken and veggies over rice noodles
    Chicken with warm turkish spices over rice
    Curried butternut squash soup
    Cauliflower carrot soup
    Miso udon noodle soup with pork and veggies
    Veggie ragu with sausage
    Tinga de pollo (slow-cooked chicken with chipotle)
    Pork slow-cooked with sauerkraut and apple served over mashed potato
    Cashew/parmesan crusted fish
    Steamed: carrots, or broccoli, or green beans, or sweet potato
    Seared: asparagus, or green beans

oh...the list goes on!

• fishcat123
    fishcat123 Posts: 74 Member
    I live alone too, and personally I find cooking for one without either eating more than I should or wasting food hard (I'm also a smallish, not terribly active woman, so I don't need a lot). I eat a lot of soups, salads, frozen vegetables, and minimally processed frozen foods, mostly from Trader Joes'.
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Don't go to the store hungry especially since you are just one person. Always go through sales ads and have a grocery list.

Make sure to buy spices because you don't want bland food and don't be afraid to try new recipes. Find a few flower pots at garage sales and grow some herbs.

Having a food scale is very important, that way you don't cook too much.

I personally don't think shakeology is worth the money, there are better products to for less money. I don't live in the US anymore so I can't help you with a name.
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Living alone?

FROZEN VEGETABLES.
    FROZEN FRUIT. And some seasonal fresh fruit for healthy snacks on the go, and makes a nice display.
    INDIVIDUALLY PORTIONED & WRAPPED MEAT.

Everything else is plenary around the above to season, cook, and store for your meals.
  • CateWright1
    CateWright1 Posts: 10 Member
    I have a SUPER limited budget for my family of 3, but I always make sure we eat well and healthy. Here is what we (the adults) usually eat:

Breakfast:
    Ezekiel bread with avocado and crushed red pepper flakes
    Protein shake (whey powder and almond milk, with frozen fruit, spinach, questionable bananas, etc)
    **We tried expensive dieting protein powders, but have found that low-sugar, high-protein, cheaper options from the grocery store work just as well for 1/3 of the cost or less

Lunch:
    Whole Grain and Flax wrap with hummus, turkey, veggies and olives, low fat popcorn, veggies
    PB&J with veggies

Dinner:
    Salmon roasted with cherry tomatoes, rice, green beans
    Chicken thighs, veggie and pasta salad (no mayo, just lemon and olive oil), fruit
    Horseradish meatloaf, mashed cauliflower, asparagus

Snacks:
    Homemade kale chips
    Lowfat popcorn
    Mini marshmallows with fresh fruit (I know this sounds crazy, but I am a sugar person and this keeps me from eating an entire pie or something)

I typically spend about 80-90/ week on groceries, but do not coupon.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    goldbergrr wrote: »
    I've only recently gotten super into fitness (teambeachbody programs: PiYo, T25 Alpha, Insanity Max 30, TurboFire) and I've been counting calories but now I really want to start working on counting healthier calories!

I'll be starting graduate school this August and it will be the first time I'm living on my own not in a college dorm. This seems to me like the perfect opportunity to start fresh. So for all you experts - what are the must-haves for my kitchen cabinets? What kind of shopping lists should I be making? How can I balance this with a very small budget? And for all you teambeachbody fans - is Shakeology affordable/worth the cost? Thanks so much!

I do all the grocery shopping for my partner and I. Produce is going to be your most costly item, but also the most "worth it." For veggies that you plan to steam or bake, make sure you grab them from the freezer section. These are cheaper and can be stored until you want to use them. I also get some fruits from this section as well, just unthaw a little before you're ready to eat. You can get the large packs of chicken breast/tenderloins and bag them individually in marinades or with veggies, then freeze. Cheap and easy especially when you're on your own.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Beans are really cheap. You can buy in the bulk section or in other dried areas of the store. Cook them when you get home and then freeze them in your freezer.

In grad school I lived on eggs and rice. One really cheap and delicious meal (although admittedly high in sodium):
    A clove or two of minced garlic and about 1/4-1/2 an onion sautéed in olive oil. When the onion is translucent, add already cooked rice and fry with soy sauce. Set aside. Add a bit more olive oil and fry an egg over easy. Put the egg on top and crack the yolk into the rice. Stir and enjoy!
  • claypilk
    claypilk Posts: 6 Member
    Real food is perishable, so in order to be healthy you will need to expect on making atleast 2-3 trips to the store weekly. You shouldn't really need to travel down the aisles unless you need something specific (beans, olive oil, bread, spices, condiments). All of your necessities will be along the outer walls of the store. Make a budget, buy in bulk if need be, and cook enough to where you have meals leftover for the next couple days. Spend your money smart at the store, don't blow it at restaurants and food joints. Beef and bean stew is a favorite of mine, feeds me dinner for four days, costs about 12 bucks and 30 minutes to prepare. Goodluck!
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member

Does it really cost that much?? Holy cow!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    claypilk wrote: »
    Real food is perishable, so in order to be healthy you will need to expect on making atleast 2-3 trips to the store weekly. You shouldn't really need to travel down the aisles unless you need something specific (beans, olive oil, bread, spices, condiments). All of your necessities will be along the outer walls of the store. Make a budget, buy in bulk if need be, and cook enough to where you have meals leftover for the next couple days. Spend your money smart at the store, don't blow it at restaurants and food joints. Beef and bean stew is a favorite of mine, feeds me dinner for four days, costs about 12 bucks and 30 minutes to prepare. Goodluck!
    no, I go to the store 1 every two weeks other than milk. that's once a week.

shop the outside of the store. don't go hungry. plan your food ahead of time and make a list.