In Shock - Seeing 200+ for the first time.

Options
I am looking for some motivation and support from anyone who has been in this situation before. I have been avoiding the scale for quite some time, and although I was aware I had gained some weight, I was convinced it was just a few pounds. A few days ago, I had to go to the doctor and get on the scale. The scale read 223 and suddenly I was hit with the realization that I was not only over 200 lbs, but I had also gained over 50 lbs. Now that I am aware of my situation, I am starting to notice all of these things that have changed about my body (I don't know how I did not see them before). For example, realizing that my belly rests on my lap or that my size 14 pants are way too tight. I guess I am completely overwhelmed by the shock of all of this. I want to change, but I feel like I am struggling to move from I would like to lose weight for vanity reasons (which was fine when I was 170) to I need to lose weight. HELP!

Replies

• xxfreakyrockxx
    xxfreakyrockxx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Erin, I hear ya! I feel like we are in the same boat. I just weighed in at 223 as well. And I have been in absolute denial. I kept thinking i was impossible to gain any more weight ( i said that at 170, then at 180 then at 190....you get it). I think even if its for vanity reasons, it is still ok. It's a reason nonetheless right? Well, clearly I'm not an expert. But I think once you get a jump start, 5 pounds, it will put weight loss back on the map, and you will be conscious of your weight, whether to eat a little less, or walk a little more, add an activity.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    freakyrock is on the money!

use this energy in a positive way! I have never been that high a weight so can't completely relate, however I did have a bit of a 'aha' moment when I realised that I really just wasn't completely confident with my body as I always told myself I was and decided to make a healthy change in the long term not just for vanity, but to be healthy! At a higher weight your progress will likely be more noticeable - imagine losing 50lb+ in a year!

Don't start with something too dramatic as you are likely to fall off the wagon. And be sure you don't say 'no' to everything naughty you love, but instead make gradual small changes. Some people start by cutting down/cutting out pop (soft drinks), changing white bread for whole wheat, not putting sugar in tea and coffee and committing to eating more home cooked meals. If you do lots of home cooking, go and find ways to make them healthier and lower calorie by incorporating more lean meat, less cooking oils and cream and more fresh vegetables. Go for a walk in the mornings. Walk to the station inside of driving or catching the bus.

I try to make a rule of ONLY walking around the outside of the supermarket; fresh fruit and vegetables, dairy, poultry and seafood. I did most of my weekly grocery shopping (except for chicken and all my greens) today, and dashed into the aisles today to buy dried seaweed and miso paste only. I do use olive oil with cooking and eat small amounts of beans and rice. I do also have my daily black chocolate, but in small amounts so this is already in stock and waiting (learning to restrain myself from bingeing on it all took some time).

Take it one step at a time, you'll get there before you know it :flowerforyou: these forums are a great place to see inspiring stories and get support. Be faithful to logging every day and being really particular with measuring and NOT cheating yourself by logging a little less, or not logging that candy bar. You need to be honest.
  • kimbtaylor1
    kimbtaylor1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I was where you are now. It is shocking to see it for the first time. But for me it was that moment that really kick started my journey. If you are committed you can obtain any goal you put your mind to. I have been on my journey for two years now and I'm almost there. Remember the weight didn't get there over night and isn't going to come off overnight!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I wasn't quite where you were, but I as also in denial - you know, when I ordered my usual size and it didn't ft complaining about "skimpy cutting" and "poor design". when my UK 16 (US 12-14 I think) were too tight and even some 18 were snug I realised I had put ona bit much, but it was things ligh feeling as if I were pregnant when tiying trainers which really brought it home. I was at least 14lb heavier than I had guessed, and the crunch really came when I was going out and had nothing to wear which I liked. I just felt so fat and frumpy I knew I had to act now because it wouldn't get any easier as I get older.

I find this site so helpful, I'm sure you will reach your goal. Be patient, log every mouthful (weigh your portion, no guessing!) and build up your activity. And don't be afraid to ask for help.