What's your favorite cookbook?

Options
I'm interested in getting a new cookbook. Something with a lot of pictures, quick and easy recipes, and well low cal and relatively low fat.

Any recommendations?

Replies

• AllyKM
    AllyKM Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try any of the "Hungry Girl" books. They don't have a ton of pictures but the recipes are super quick, easy and very tasty!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers has a couple good one's out there. I would say that you wouldn't go wrong with any of theirs.
  • mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Flat Belly Diet - real food, not replacements for meat, sugar, etc, just the right combos. Only problem is they are easy recipes but not all quick.
  • Christin09
    Christin09 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I just got one from Cooking Light that is 5 ingredients I have only made one thing so far but I really like it! Its quick and easy!
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    I like the Looney spoons ladies they do

looney spoons
    crazy plates
    and
    eat shrink and be merry

I've noticed that in the begining I didn't have a TON of their spices ect that they used on hand but they use them in alot of recipes so its good to get them

They also have some neat tips in the margins like you could eat X amount of sunflower seeds or XXXXXX amount of (insert healtheir alternative) for the same amount of calories which would fill you up more.

they also have a TV show (not sure if its a Canadain thing or not) where they make over classic Fattenning meals into healthier ones and then do a blind taste test. I think its called Eat shrink and be merry but not sure.
  • RosieB405
    RosieB405 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    recipezaar is my favorite it is free and online and you can search by the ingredients you have in your kitchen
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I love Eat Shrink & Be Merry! Those girls are awsome and so are their recipes!
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I really like Taste of Home's "Healthy Cooking" magazine. Also, if you go to their website - www.tasteofhome.com - you can search for very specific items (by ingredient, nutrition requirements, cooking method, meal type, etc) to find recipes that suit your needs. I get a lot of my recipes from there.
  • kristelagarcia
    kristelagarcia Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    i have two current favorites-

remember the old red plaid better homes & gardens large binder cookbook? well, they have one called- "eat well, lose weight". i found it and bought it when i started dieting last august. the recipes are great (haven't found a bad one yet and i've made many, cause i need variety to keep from getting bored) and good nutritional guide (also weight watchers exchanges).

the 2nd was a magazine/cookbook- taste of home "comfort food diet cookbook" i bought this a couple of months ago and we have absolutely loved it. lots of really good recipes and a number that have shortcuts for cooking quick meals. (even has some good desserts like the chocolate melting cups {sorta like lava cake} for about 130 calories each, i made it with splenda for even fewer calories) they were good enough that we served them at a party.

hungry girl has some quick things too. though i don't find myself turning to it to look up something new to try as often as i do with the others.
  • JustBreathe
    Options
    I highly recommend anything by Cuisine at Home- they have both magazines and cookbooks. Every recipe has not only a full color picture but also recipes for side dishes that go along well with the main dish. They also have really helpful cooking tutorials. If you go to cuisineathome.com and click the button for Online Extras, they have a bunch of free stuff on there, as well.

And I'll second Katie's vote for the Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet cookbook.
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    bump! :smile:
  • swade32
    swade32 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Allrecipes.com

Has all kinds of recipes and most of then even have nutriition info.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    The Low Carb Comfort Food Cookbook and it's companion on baking and desserts.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    How funny that we all have different favorites. Mine are the South Beach Diet cookbooks. Other than that... I look up recipes online.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I love the Biggest Loser Family Cookbook and all of the Eat This Not That books.
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I love my Taste of Home Healthy Cooking magazines. At least half of what I make are from them. It's regular food and most of the ingredients are things I have hear of! I also love my Family Circle Healthy Home-Style Cooking. I think my grandma ordered it or it came with her magazine subscription. Anyway she gave it to me and I've been cooking a lot from that too. I guess I'm old-school but I just like cookbooks better than searching on the web - it's too much info for me. Another benefit of using "diet" cookbooks is you start to see how they cut calories after awhile and you can start modifying your old favorites.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    remember the old red plaid better homes & gardens large binder cookbook? well, they have one called- "eat well, lose weight". i found it and bought it when i started dieting last august. the recipes are great (haven't found a bad one yet and i've made many, cause i need variety to keep from getting bored) and good nutritional guide (also weight watchers exchanges).
    Have loved the old red/plaid Better Homes & Gardens one for years! Looked up the 'Eat Well, Lose Weight' version on Amazon just now, looks to be a good one! Thanks for the suggestion:flowerforyou:
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I mainly use my two Biggest Loser Cookbooks and I have a Taste of Home Comfort Food Light is good