Half marathon cross-training

Options
I am just starting a 4 day a week half marathon training program (similar to Higdon novice 2 plan) and was wondering what people would suggest for cross training during this training. The race is late October. I have been doing mostly bodyweight (pushups, plank variations) and light weight training and was planning on continuing this twice a week on non-running days. Anything in particular I should be doing or not doing while training for the race?

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Prehab! Prevent knee and other problems before they happen by strengthening your glutes/hip muscles:
    http://www.njsportsmed.com/files/myrtl_routine.pdf

You might find you enjoy going for a walk or doing some yoga on one of your off days as well.
  • RangedLunatic
    RangedLunatic Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest one day a week of cycling. It's good cardio but comparatively low impact. You'll probably rely heavily on cycling while recovering from any injuries, so it would be good to get used to it in advance.

I hear swimming talked about a lot but I've never personally tried it during race training. Your mileage may vary.

If you like bodyweight exercises, maybe throw in some lunges and jump squats. Good leg workout. It might hurt to do these on your running days, but they're great if you save them for off days.