Hypothyroidism weight loss success stories

Options
kristinhull1
kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
Hi. My Names Kristin. I am 24 years old and have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. A year before I was diagnosed I started trying to lose weight. I lost 15lbs in 5 months and the weight loss just stopped...No matter what I did I couldnt lose past that 15lbs. So I went to my Doctor and told him my symptoms. He did some blood work and said my thyroid numbers were low and prescribed me iodine. Still I couldnt lose weight. So I switched Doctors. The Doctor I see now said he couldnt believe my previous Dr just gave me iodine and didnt even do a ultrasound to make sure that nothing was growing on my thyroid. Next week I get all my results back. And I know this Drs gonna give me something that worked. Im wanting to hear everyones weight loss success stories with hypothyroidism. What you did to lose the weight? What you were prescribed and if you lost weight without diet and exercise just due to the medications. Thank you. =)

Replies

• ldalvarado
    ldalvarado Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My hypothyroidism story started almost 30 years ago when I was 19. I have Hashimoto's which goes beyond just underactive thyroid and into auto-immune disease. There have been some stretches in my life that were really difficult. I recommend getting your thyroid symptoms under control before you really dive into losing weight. Once you feel better it is easier to tackle diet and exercise. I highly recommend reading "The Thyroid Diet Revolution" by Mary J. Shomon. I think you will find it helpful.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had mine removed about 10 years ago... I gained weight after due to trying to find the correct med dosage. (sythyroid) For me... once we got the dosage right, I then started my diet to lose 25 lbs.
    I had to calorie count and exercise. I walked on treadmill in winter and outside now... usually an hour..depends on my schedule and 3-4times a week. As fast as I can walk without running.....(I don't like to run).
    I really comes down to the food... count your calories, be in a deficit.
    I lost the 25lbs and am now in maintenance. I really need to do weight lifting to shape the bod better...motivation just is not there yet... :)
    Good Luck and glad you switched doctors.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I still kept gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

I lost the weight before my thyroid levels ever entered the "normal" range, and I've maintained for a year. Logging works.

I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • LisaPrust
    LisaPrust Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hey Kristin, welcome! In January I started a whole new routine to get my body back into health. I was working out 3-5 days a week, logging everything I ate or drank, hyper hydrating with water, and NOTHING...or really the same 5 lbs I would lose then regain, up and down with no rhyme or reason! Infuriating. I dropped calories, worked harder, increased calories, slept more. The worst was I was out of my mind exhausted! Finally got bloodwork done and diagnosed as you. The process of upping the Rx to the correct amount is S L O W! Dr has doubled my dose twice now and I will have labs done in 3 weeks to check levels. I am currently taking 100mcg of Levothyroxine daily and last week, for the first time in 6 months, I didn't have to take a nap! Glory! The weight is slowly coming off and I purchased a FitBit HR to make sure I am truly burning enough calories each day. It has been a huge help and motivator. I still keep having the wild hope that when the thyroid med Rx is perfect, all the work I have been so diligent to do since January will catch up and I'll have this HUGE weight loss. {Not sure that is practical-but I am risking it to keep Hope alive!} Feel free to add me as a friend and we can encourage one another thru this new diagnosis.

Also there are a few groups on MFP for HypoThyroid folks-check them out and see what you think.
    Best wishes!
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    In my last year of highschool in 2009 I weighed a tiny 90lbs. Was in size 0 jeans. Im 4'11 so that was a healthy weight. 2 years after my highschool graduation I was 150lbs. Thats 60lbs in 2 years. When i had my Son I was at 200lbs. I lost just 20lbs after having him. All my other friends were having babies and as soon as they had them they were back to there normal weight. Me on the other hand only lost 20lbs. I never understood why I couldnt lose weight. No matter how hard I tried.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Thanks
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I take 100mg of Levothyroxine every morning - a single, small tablet - and I log my food accurately on MFP (so I do use a kitchen scale) + try to stick to MFP's suggested macros (fat, carbs, protein, fibre). It's worked for me - I've lost just under 90lbs in 9 months. :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's and was diagnosed almost 25 years ago. I think mine's been acting up lately, swinging back and forth between under and over active, the way it will when Hashi's acts up. I'm seeing my endo next week, thankfully. Right now, I'm having some hypothyroid symptoms, but I'm still losing weight, in spite of maybe needing a medication adjustment.

Still, I've been eating at deficit since last November, exercising as I can. I walk, water jog, and do weights working with a personal trainer. In that time, I've lost nearly 50 pounds. I still would like to lose about 40 or so more.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    I have 60lbs to lose.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have hypothyroidism. I have lost 30 lbs since January, but probably closer to 60 lbs since my heaviest. Basically, once my levels were on point it wasn't difficult to lose. Although my number was good for awhile, I didn't start trying to lose weight until this year. There were other times when I tried, and even complained to my doctor about trying and not getting results. But to be honest with you, it was just me and my diet. I believe I was not logging food or counting calories, I thought I was eating healthier things that that would be enough. I didn't know what I know now. You really need to weigh everything you eat, stay within your macros, and just be honest with yourself. If you are into exercise, you do not want to over estimate your burn then end up eating more than you really burned because that will destroy all your hard work! A heart rate monitor will help with that. Good luck on your journey. I hope everything comes back as good news and it won't be a problem for you any longer!
  • Xena067
    Xena067 Posts: 28 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm turning 48 in August 2015. My husband and I have four sons, and I work full-time. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (Hashimoto syndrome) in 1994 at age 27, 3 years after the birth of my second son. In 1998, 3 years after the birth of my third son, I lost over 50 lbs using the Weight Watchers POINTS system. I have annual blood tests to check my TSH level, and take Synthroid (Levothyroxine) daily. I have had my medication dosage adjusted higher a couple of times since my diagnosis. I didn't follow a maintenance plan after losing weight in 1998, so over the years, and due to a lower back injury, weight slowly crept back on. In 2014, I lost 30 lbs in 10 months with MyFitnessPal and have been maintaining within 5 lbs of my goal since October 2014. I eat whatever I want, but stick to my Daily Calorie Limit, and do cardio exercise when I want to eat more. Hypothyroid or not, it's all about the math! (calories in / calories out) ... Be 100% honest with yourself 100% of the time. If you are consistent with your Daily Calorie Limit, you will see results!
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    MFP says I should eat 1200 calories. And you eat whatever you want. Like say you want french fries. You eat them?
  • bob7bob
    bob7bob Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have been hypothyroid for 20+ years. My weight crept up my about two stone and I started feeling incredibly tired, dry skin and lots of other symptoms. I realised I had a thyroid issue as two aunts had the same.
    I'm on a stable dose of thyroxine, 150mcg daily and most of my symptoms have settled, my weight didn't change. I was always reading that I would struggle to lose weight due to my condition but as I turned 50 I decided I needed to act. On the 1st of December 2015 I started using meals from a company called Diet Chef. (UK company.) They also advertise myfitnesspal so I signed up.
    I have now lost 50lb's, a quarter of my body weight. I was fooling myself. It wasn't just my thyroid slowing me down and helping my weight gain it was me thinking it didn't matter that I had two cheeseburgers when one would do. The large packet of crisps needed to be eaten all in one sitting and not made to last a week. Four slices of white bread with a huge piece of cheese was fine for lunch. Not any more. Still have some of the old foods, just less and not so often. Also I received a fitbit thanks to the company I work for. Realise now how much I sit doing nothing!
    It can be done, good luck.
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Cytomel is what I was given and it made me itch from my head to my toes! I stopped taking the medicine and just started taking a thyroid energy supplement so I wouldn't be tired all of the time. I strictly monitored my calories and made sure I burned off every single extra calorie, and I ate the same amount of calories every day. I ended up dropping 50 pounds in about 5 months.
  • lyn_2013
    lyn_2013 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi my name's Lyn. I also have hypothyroidism. I was about 80 lbs overweight. To date, I have lost 70lbs. Its not easy. For me, if I don't work out and watch everything getting into my mouth, I simply don't lose any weight. Its slow, but since 2013, I had made up my mind to lose the weight, so I have been very patient and very diligent! All the best to everyone...we can do it!
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    MFP says I should eat 1200 calories. And you eat whatever you want. Like say you want french fries. You eat them?

Set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight, and learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly.

You can eat anything in moderation and still lose weight—including fries.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    I stared counting calories today and i threw out all the soda in the house and went straight to water. Having eggs and toast for breakfast this morning, heart healthy soup and a small salad for lunch. apples for a snack and idk what were having for dinner yet. I know itll be something so unhealthy. My Fiance works at a grocery store. So he usually picks up dinner after work and I cook it. So I can eat what he brings just smaller portions.
  • Deafening_Silence
    Deafening_Silence Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism last year at the beginning of November. Before I was diagnosed I was tired all the time but continued to fight through it, run my 5 miles every other day and watching what I ate, I still packed on pounds. I finally went to my doctor from having a scare thinking I had pancreatitis again. He did blood work on my pancreatitis, my thyroid, and some other things. That's when I found out I had Hypothyroidism and he began me on Levothyroxine. Which since then the mcg has been upped to 100mcg. I never received an ultrasound for my thyroid so now I'm wondering if I should bring this up at my next visit.

After more health issues and was told not to do any physical activity due to my spleen being enlarged, liver enzymes elevated. It's back to normal and I have the go with my doctor to begin exercising again.

My main problem is food prep for the week for lunches and etc. I don't know how to begin and could use some help. Right now I'm drinking a protein shake for breakfast, buying Lean Cuisine for my lunches (Hope to eventually make my own lunches to bring that are more fresh and filling), and trying to eat a good portion of dinner.

I would like to add some more friends who have hypothyroidism to help motivate one another.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    My main problem is food prep for the week for lunches and etc. I don't know how to begin and could use some help. Right now I'm drinking a protein shake for breakfast, buying Lean Cuisine for my lunches (Hope to eventually make my own lunches to bring that are more fresh and filling), and trying to eat a good portion of dinner.

I make a big pot of something on the weekend, then freeze individual portions. Soon there's a nice selection of healthy meals to choose from.

No need to cook everything from scratch. I buy a lot of prepared & frozen food at Trader Joe's.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!