New Diabetic... what should I be doing?

Options
I had a pre-op physical last tuesday and when my labwork came back it showed that I have developed diabetes. As I am having a surgery on the 7th my Dr. is waiting until after the surgery to put me on meds, etc. I will be talking to a diabetic councilor after the surgery.

Is there anything I should be doing in the meantime?

Cancer AND Diabetes? I'm having such luck lately!!

Replies

• intruhvurt
    intruhvurt Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would probably just follow your doctors instructions and wait to make any lifestyle changes until after the surgery. It's only a couple of days away. Just start reading - learning everything you can about diabetes and how to manage it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You do not have to do anything until after unless you want to start cleaning up the kitchen now that you have energy for it. Start doing some reading maybe. First, to ameliorate diabetes, one loses weight. When you eat less food and drop pounds, you are improving all the numbers in your lab work. The second thing is to eat low carb: protein, fats and oils, low carb veggies.
    Good luck with the surgery. <3
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    http://www.diabetes.org/

Learn as much as you can, from _good_ / _valid_ / _reliable_ sources. (That's to an online book about how to find good health info.)
    Track what you're eating now, so you have some idea of what you'll need to tweak.
    And after surgery, once you're able to exercise, do it, even if that's just walking around the block. Losing weight
    is probably the single biggest thing you can do to control the disease. (Well, long-term... short-term would be
    to eat fewer carbs.)
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I've been diabetic for 13 years now and I still don't know everything there is to know.. but I can share any info I have with you.. if you want you can add me :)