losing weight very slowly?

Options
Hi everyone,
I've been eating healthy and working out for 19 days (3 weeks on Monday), and I've only lost 5 pounds. I started at 155 and am now 150, but I work out 4-5 days a week, and push myself hard. I do about an hour of cardio (elliptical & treadmill) to the point where I'm going as fast as I can. I'm also doing weights - legs, arms, and ab machine. I eat about 1200-1400 calories a day and have cut out all sweets, soda, fried food, fast food, basically anything bad, and have been eating lots of veggies, fruits, whole grains, and water. Any tips on how to lose weight faster? 5 pounds in almost 3 weeks seems pretty low for how hard I've been pushing myself & how strict I've been with my diet. I'm thinking it has to do with the fact that I'm lifting weights, but I'm trying to get to 140 and it's getting frustrating to step on the scale and see that I'm maintaining my weight. Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    5lbs in 3 weeks is a great rate of loss, you're not 200lbs over weight on biggest loser....
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Not sure where you got the idea of 5lbs in 3 weeks being slow!! 2lbs/week is the fastest rate of loss you should be aiming for, and that's only if you're very overweight. When you've got 10lbs to lose you should be aiming for half a pound a week.

Also, "have cut out all sweets, soda, fried food, fast food, basically anything bad" - this has no effect on weight loss. There are no bad foods, only bad amounts of food. Everything is fine in moderation, and if you're in your calories, nothing will stop or slow your weight loss.

If you want to talk slow weight loss, I've lost 3lbs in 6 months!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    5 pounds in 3 weeks is 1.6 lbs/wk. That's actually very good. How much are you really expecting?

Some questions and things to consider:
    1. Is your weight loss target appropriate? A rule of thumb is 0.5 lb/wk for every 25 lb overweight.
    2. Do you weigh ALL of your food and log accurately? If not, you can be eating more than you think.
    3. Do you log your exercise activities, and how much do you eat back if you do?

Also exercise can lead to some water weight retention as muscles repair.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Probably lost water weight mostly.
    Hi everyone,
    I've been eating healthy and working out for 19 days (3 weeks on Monday), and I've only lost 5 pounds. I started at 155 and am now 150, but I work out 4-5 days a week, and push myself hard. I do about an hour of cardio (elliptical & treadmill) to the point where I'm going as fast as I can. I'm also doing weights - legs, arms, and ab machine. I eat about 1200-1400 calories a day and have cut out all sweets, soda, fried food, fast food, basically anything bad, and have been eating lots of veggies, fruits, whole grains, and water. Any tips on how to lose weight faster? 5 pounds in almost 3 weeks seems pretty low for how hard I've been pushing myself & how strict I've been with my diet. I'm thinking it has to do with the fact that I'm lifting weights, but I'm trying to get to 140 and it's getting frustrating to step on the scale and see that I'm maintaining my weight. Thanks!

I don't agree with cutting out stuff... deprivation leads to binging the majority of the time.

Weight lifting has nothing to do with it. It's not like you're going to be gaining muscle in a deficit because you're a woman; your caloric deficit deters you from doing so.

I reckon you are eating more than you think you are. DIDNT MEAN THIS TO BE IN HERE

If you aren't satisfied with the weight loss because you are 'pushing yourself'; you're doing things which don't even effect weight loss. Cutting out 'bad foods' doesn't do anything.
  • DemoraFairy
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I don't agree with cutting out stuff... deprivation leads to binging the majority of the time.

Weight lifting has nothing to do with it. It's not like you're going to be gaining muscle in a deficit because you're a woman; your caloric deficit deters you from doing so.

I reckon you are eating more than you think you are.

If you aren't satisfied with the weight loss because you are 'pushing yourself'; you're doing things which don't even effect weight loss. Cutting out 'bad foods' doesn't do anything.

I doubt it, her rate of loss is already high for her weight. It's not like she's actually struggling to lose weight. At least, even if she is eating more than she thinks, I don't think that's the problem here - the problem is her unrealistic expectations.

I do agree with everything you've said, I just don't think the problem is anything to do with her eating/exercise habits.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    You lost 5 lbs, thats not maintaining. Agree with above, there is value to your mental well being by not being overly restrictive with your food choices. The harder you make this on yourself, the harder it will be to maintain once you hit goal. Maintain your deficit, eat foods you enjoy in moderation, accept the fact that 5 lbs in 3 weeks is spot on for a good weight loss target, be happier. You are making great progress.
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP for 3 weeks, lost 6 lb aiming for 1 lb a week, maybe slow and steady is good enough?? U r doing well and losing well done xx
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I doubt it, her rate of loss is already high for her weight. It's not like she's actually struggling to lose weight. At least, even if she is eating more than she thinks, I don't think that's the problem here - the problem is her unrealistic expectations.

I do agree with everything you've said, I just don't think the problem is anything to do with her eating/exercise habits.

Derp I meant to edit that bit out which was in bold (the first bit) :(
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    That is an excellent weight loss !!!!
    Keep doing what you are.
    Some water weight will happen with lifting weights.
  • DemoraFairy
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Haha, gotta be faster! :P
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Haha, gotta be faster! :P

It's friday ok ;)
  • mschrenker
    mschrenker Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It took me a few weeks to start loosing when I worked out hard. Not sure if you have muscle soreness but if your workouts are more intense then you are used to, you might have DOMS which can cause temporary fluid retention. Just work through it and you will find that your weight loss will go down dramatically. I also agree that your weight loss so far is amazing, it's a process that doesn't happen in a few weeks.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,947 Member
    Options
    Are you obesse? Because only then will you be able to lose 2lbs of FAT a week.

If you are at a normal weight, you should probably be aiming for 0.5lbs a week.

And you are seriously tinkering with losing more muscle mass than you have to when you start exceeding 0.7% of bodyweight lost per week, which you currently are.

Reduce the restrictions and reduce the exercise to the amounts you intend to continue to do and consume over the next (five for most people, but lets just say in you case only) two years.

I am assuming in all this that your goal is not just to lose 10lbs and then go right back to gaining it next month when you are no longer quite as "good".... or is it? I mean stats say that most people don't maintain their weight losses; but at least try to give yourself a fighting chance!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    5 pounds in 3 weeks is AWESOME and you are not that overweight to begin with. If I lose 2 pounds in a month I get excited...
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    With only 10 pounds to lose your rate of loss will be slow. I'd be ecstatic if I lost 5 pounds in a month.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Awesome work, keep it up!
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    2lbs/week that is optimal loss rate. Going any faster will do you more bad than good.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Good job!!! Keep it up :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You are 150 lbs. You shouldn't be trying to lose 2 lbs a week. Weight loss isn't a race. Slow and steady is optimal.
  • alexistexas33
    alexistexas33 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You're fine