My adventures in weighing food properly! lol...

Options
So, thanks to the wonderful tips on another thread (I can't remember which one it was exactly) about weighing food, I have discovered just how easy it actually is. lol at me.

I just had some cold cereal. I measured the milk in a measuring cup since it's liquid. But previously I would have also measured my Chex in the measuring cup. But now I know I can set the scale to grams, weigh the bowl, reset to zero, and add cereal until I get however many grams I want (or however many fit into the bowl -- I used a small bowl on purpose because cereal is so easy to overeat). Then in the tracker I just find the serving size of "1 gram" and put in the grams I ate. So easy!

Now the question is, if this is so easy why didn't I think of it before? :blush:

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I actually put the bowl on the scale before I turn it on...no need to zero out then.
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Unless you are on a really, REALLY tight deficit, why not weigh the milk too? Try measuring out 100ml of milk. Then weigh it. It's going to be so close to 100g that you might as well just weigh it along with your cereal, saving you even more hassle. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Pootler74 wrote: »
    Unless you are on a really, REALLY tight deficit, why not weigh the milk too? Try measuring out 100ml of milk. Then weigh it. It's going to be so close to 100g that you might as well just weigh it along with your cereal, saving you even more hassle. :)

I personally don't trust MFP's values for milk weight, but I guess I should try it out sometimes and compare both.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Pootler74 wrote: »

Ah... I thought liquids were always supposed to be measured in a cup/spoon, rather than being weighed. But I guess why not weigh, lol. Everything has a weight. It would save me one dish.
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    Options

The original definition of the gram was defined by the mass of a volume of water, namely, a mL. So 100 mL of water weighs 100 g. This doesn't hold for alcohol and oil.

Milk being almost all water, a little fat and a little protein, you can certainly use the 1 g = 1 mL equivalency, but it won't hold for oil.

Alcohol is usually in a water solution, so the error depends on the alcohol content. 40% alcohol will be significantly lighter.

I personally haven't seen a lot of liquid entries with a weight listed...