When you can't get to the gym

Options
flrancho
flrancho Posts: 271 Member
I used to go to the gym 2-3 days a week. However, work is entering a busier time of the year and I haven't been to the gym in a month and a half or so. I've been having overtime and not getting off of work until 6:30 pm.

It usually takes me 30 minutes to drive home and then I still have to fix dinner. I have no idea how long this stretch over overtime may last. It could be months.

I'm already struggling with "skinny fat". Is there anything I can do to help gain muscle and reduce body fat when I can't get to the gym for extended periods of time?

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Jessie Hilgenberg's Home Edition muscle building program. All you need is dumbbells, exercise bands, a pull up bar, and maybe a Swiss ball if you don't have a bench or whatever, and a step of some sort. It's kicking my butt.
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    Jumping jacks, running in place, shadow boxing.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym before work?
  • theonenonlymrssmith
    theonenonlymrssmith Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from being "skinny fat" unfortunately I can't run on a treadmill anymore, so I started looking for other options.I came across Rebounding. (Mini trampoline workouts) I'm about a week in and honestly, it's the most fun I've ever had working out! I'm definitely feeling the burn in my muscles, and I've lost 2 lbs. I guess because your body hits a certian g-force at the bottom of the bounce (you can achieve any other way) every CELL in your body tenses up in response, and supposedly it's actually more effective than running. Super low impact, and for some reason I am not exhausted after a workout like I usually am with traditional routines. You can do you're regular cardio on it, and some models have resistance bands for strength. I would definitely recommend giving it a try! I found my rebounder for $20 at a local thrift store, and I've seen many on Craig's list for super cheep if you don't want to invest much! Youtibe
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Push and pull very heavy weights.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight routines like the one from nerdfitness.
    (Other people on the forum have mentioned convict conditioning and be your own gym as other good sources)