How many calories should I be eating??

What is the correct amount of calories I should be eating in order to lose any weight? I'm 5ft 4, weigh 180 pounds and work out 3 to 4 times a week around 45 mins each time doing cardio and strength training. I only ask as different health professionals, websites and MFP all give conflicting info and its confused the hell out of me!!!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Every calculator gives only an estimate. My suggestion is to pick one of those numbers, use it for 4 weeks, and then adjust up or down from there if necessary.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Every calculator gives only an estimate. My suggestion is to pick one of those numbers, use it for 4 weeks, and then adjust up or down from there if necessary.

Yep. If you choose MFP, eat what it says plus half of your exercise calories. If you choose to follow another site, generally the exercise will be included so you will only be eating the number it gives you.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited July 2015
    Myself? Were I'd you I'd eat about 1500 on average every day total (not adding things back in). Do that for a month. Re-examine to see if it's sustainable. If you're grumpy all the time, add 100. If you're not losing fast enough, decrease by 100. Repeat each month until you're at your goal.

Edit to add, probably shouldn't go below 1200-1300, though.
  • lorna1107
    lorna1107 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks guys! Really appreciate the advice.