Favorite/most accurate scale

Options
I bought a $20 scale from Walmart and it was a mistake. It gives insanely different readings back to back sometimes up to a 5lb difference. Sometimes I have to weigh myself back to back many times before getting a consistent reading.

So what's your favorite most accurate scale aside from the one at the dr!

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Oh boy. Sorry no help, but I'm glad I saw this! As I was about to go out and buy a $25 scale from Target this afternoon.
    I don't think I will now...
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I have a Taylor digital scale that I bought off Amazon in 2006. I still use it and it works great - I don't think I've even changed the batteries yet...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009WRJMG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I've been using a Taylor for years, too. Most inexpensive scales are OK, but the ones Walmart sells under their Mainstays house brand are horrible. Designed by drunk chimps.
  • roselemonade
    roselemonade Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I just picked the best-selling/top-rated scale on Amazon. It's the "EatSmart" something-or-other, $28, free shipping, works really well and the customer service (looking at the experiences of others) is pretty good.
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    I just picked the best-selling/top-rated scale on Amazon. It's the "EatSmart" something-or-other, $28, free shipping, works really well and the customer service (looking at the experiences of others) is pretty good.

Eat Smart scales are good. When my Taylor dies, I'll probably get one. I have their bathroom scale and it works very well.
  • faurotann
    faurotann Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have an Oxo digital scale that is wonderful but expensive. I bought it so I could weigh my flour for baking (ha ha). It's expensive at $40. It weighs in lbs, ounces and grams. It also zero's out the weight of the bowl before you weigh your food. I even weighed my peaches and nectarines!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    faurotann wrote: »
    I have an Oxo digital scale that is wonderful but expensive. I bought it so I could weigh my flour for baking (ha ha). It's expensive at $40. It weighs in lbs, ounces and grams. It also zero's out the weight of the bowl before you weigh your food. I even weighed my peaches and nectarines!

I think OP is talking about body weight scales ;)

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    The one that makes me the lightest :smiley:
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    faurotann wrote: »

I think OP is talking about body weight scales ;)

D'oh! I made the same mistake.

• Bhlinebee
    Bhlinebee Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Best by far; love this brand for scales!
  • mgonyer123
    mgonyer123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sorry yeah I meant body weight lol!

I was thinking about the Eatsmart ones. I don't want anything that does body fat as those are wildly inaccurate from what I understand.

My current scale is driving me nuts. It took me 2 mins o ot fluctuating between 5lbs up and down before it finally settled on 1 number. Drives me crazy!
  • velveteen7845
    velveteen7845 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have a Balance From scale from Amazon and it weighs within 1 pound of my doctor's scale.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I bought a 25$ Taylor scale from Walmart and have no problems with it. It gives me the same reading as a more expensive extra stuff Taylor scale I have as well as digital and manual scales at 2 different doctors offices.

Sometimes a battery going bad can make numbers wonky and also where you stand on the scale (some people mark with tape exactly where to stand) and how even the surface you place the scale on. I put mine on the same tile in my bathroom (1 downstairs 1 upstairs ) every single time.

• BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options

^ This. My scale is EatSmart, which I can only assume is the same one. Had it 4 years, no problems whatsoever. I did have to change the battery once, but batteries don't last forever. I believe they were AA batteries. It ships with a free body measuring tape do-hicky, which I still use for my measurements.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    This one is fabulous. I didn't like it because it weighed me a bit heavier than my old one, but I was sold on it when I came home from the doctor's office and weighed myself on it, fully clothed. I weighed exactly the same as I had on her scale.

I'm sold now. It never fluctuates, unless I put it on a wobbly spot on the floor. It also comes with a free body measuring tape.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FX0S4DC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

I'm looking for food scale perfection. I need one that doesn't suddenly change how many grams it's reading out 2 seconds after I write down what it says.
  • katzenfluff
    katzenfluff Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    For a food scale, Salter. About $20-25.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,751 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Quite often though erratic readings are caused by low battery and soft floors. Even say hard lino still has some "give" in it. Level concrete or stone probably doesn't!

Trying to get a scale that is both accurate and doesn't exhibit fake consistency is a difficult process that I failed in!

You know the part where most current scales are programmed to show you the same number again and again, even though they are not actually detecting the same number, as long as the difference doesn't exceed a pre-programmed range?

Have you seen an analogue scale's needle quiver in response to your own unsteadiness and to the floor not being rock solid hard? Have you seen a digital scale "search" for a number before locking in on one?

The force sensors in digital scales take hundreds of readings and average them trying to lock into one "final answer". Of course they will get a slightly different series of readings in a subsequent weight in. The real test is whether these new readings are 0.1lbs off or 5lbs off!

And since most scales use a single sensor to save money even a small movement or body position, or floor variation is enough to make changes to that final answer.

PS: mechanical "doctor" type scales (calibrated at that) are probably the only thing that is truly accurate.

PS2: in the end I gave up in trying to find my scale unicorn and bought an overpriced, full of useless features (such as bodyfat % and WiFi), Fitbit Aria.

Reason being that it was available (as opposed to an even more expensive and not easily available other scale I had read about), has four force sensors as opposed to a single one, and the first couple of times you re-check your weight it will actually (occasionally) give you a slightly different number (i.e. it is honestly telling you what it senses and the numbers, if not the same, are usually extremely close). Of course by the time you weight yourself more than a couple of times in a short period of time, it "calibrates" itself into giving you a consistent answer that won't change for hours.

As a side benefit, since I now sort of trust the numbers, I've weaned myself from multiple weigh-ins and only get on it once a day, record the number, and move on! Money well spent in terms of time savings!

PS3: and plug the numbers automatically (through the free Fitbit account you can open even without owning any Fitbit products) into www.weightgrapher.com (has a manual input option too) and www.trendweight.com so that I can see my weight TREND, which helps me sort through daily water weight variations!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Interesting about the sensors. I had to go check the specs in the listing. That scale I posted has 4 sensors. I get different readings on consecutive days with it (to .2 pound difference) and it doesn't do the number bounce around. For a $25 scale, I'm really happy with it.