Options
13»

Replies

• marthaelisa80
    marthaelisa80 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    I don't know my BF but I think I look somewhere between 20-25%. I kind of wish I knew.

20-22%.

Jokes aside, I'd put her slightly higher than that but we're splitting hairs at that point. The OP does have the most important concept right; the actual BF% doesn't matter. AR looks great how she is and if she's happy, then it doesn't matter if someone says that she's 19% or 45%. Just like the OP isn't 45% but she has the right idea. "Whatever, I'm going to lose an few more pounds and I'll stop when I'm satisfied with how I look". That's the right way to think about it.

Comparing bf% is the new age version of "How much you bench?"

I agree, that is why I compare myself to myself! Lol where I started to where I am now is progress.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    I would say the OP is much closer to 35% than 45%. However you got your bodyfat measured OP, the person doing it didn't use a very accurate method.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=218
    All about bioelectrical impedance (the technology used in the Omron device)
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with everyone that it's highly unlikely you are 45% body fat. But I get where you're going with your post. 20% body fat can look completely different on 2 different women.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=218
    All about bioelectrical impedance (the technology used in the Omron device)

excellent
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Lifetime clocked me at 41% BF two years ago when I weight about 5 pounds less.

Doing the calculations, if I was 45% body fat, then that means 76 pounds of me is pure fat. Holy cow.

Then, if 23% muscle, that is 39 pounds of muscle.

That leaves 54 pounds for skin, bone, and organs.

I guess that isn't totally impossible.

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    half_moon wrote: »

Doing the calculations, if I was 45% body fat, then that means 76 pounds of me is pure fat. Holy cow.

whelp. i guess you're going to believe what you wish to believe.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Also if you go to Omrons website they say the best accuracy is first thing in the morning before you workout, eat, or drink. After that the accuracy decreases and even first thing in the morning they claim that it can still be up to 4% off

Hmm, now I'm curious, OP, how far from these conditions did you get measured at your gym?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I recently got a fitness assessment and was told I am 45% body fat.

Looool - you being 45% BF is as possible as me winning the bronze medal in female gymnastics...

Ask for your money back and spend it on a more accurate measure if it is important to you (Bod Pod at the least.)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Where did you get this information from?
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I used that scale yesterday to check mine and I got 30% I am shocked, I am fairly thin and I look nothing like the pictures of 30% bf. I dont like that scale any more.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    paris458 wrote: »
    I used that scale yesterday to check mine and I got 30% I am shocked, I am fairly thin and I look nothing like the pictures of 30% bf. I dont like that scale any more.

That actually is very funny. What did the scale do to you?
  • paris458
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

That actually is very funny. What did the scale do to you?

called me fat lol
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    R

The scale spit all of that out! The Omron thing.

I guess if I hadn't been measured at around that BF on a different system then I would be more ready to believe I am actually 30%.

I had just eaten before the weigh in. :(
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    R

I guess if I hadn't been measured at around that BF on a different system then I would be more ready to believe I am actually 30%.

Interesting? So that how the scale makes sales. Spitting out nonsense. I like to hear how that scale can differentiate between muscle and other Lean body mass things?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

30% doesn't necessarily look bad. Here are a few links to pictures of DEXA scanned women. There's one who is 31% if you want a comparison.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    R

And that increases the inaccuracy of the readings according to Omron.
    You didn't get on the scale at the optimal time for accuracy (although it will still be inaccurate to some degree) according to the manufacturer and yet you still want to just go with it. :neutral:
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I have an Omron hand held and the key to measuring is consistency. If I measure in the morning before voiding I get 20%, after voiding 18% and after drinking 16 oz water 22%.

A mid-day check is going to be extremely inaccurate - especially after a meal. Have someone with experience use calipers if you can.
  • paris458
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

30% doesn't necessarily look bad. Here are a few links to pictures of DEXA scanned women. There's one who is 31% if you want a comparison.

oh thanks. she doesnt look bad, but I am so thin I feel like that seemed a little off to me. it was in the middle of the day and I just got done working out. was not my scale so I never did it in the morning. I was mostly joking, I care more if I like how I look than what it tells me.